Friday, March 21, 2014

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie Character Toy and Book: The Destiny of Things, Story 176

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie Character Toy and Book:  The Destiny of Things, Story 176

More of my teacher destash finding new homes!


photo via Hoarder Rehab, more teacher destash here and here

All ages enjoy this book and as a teacher, it was one of the best stories to show third graders a simple circular ending in a fun and interesting way so they could write their own.  Of course having the star of the book there, Mr. Mouse with a batch of cookies and milk added more to the anticipation of a good ol' cause and effect story.

I had two of these and this one survived my decades of teaching, although the box didn't.  I don't know what happened to his twin or the other book, but he was in a box with all my doubles.  I used to keep one for the class to pass around and use and one in the box as an example of how to take care of it to keep it nice and taken care of for future classes.

I think the only plush toy character left is Mr. Spider from the Robert Kraus book series, How Spider Saved Valentine's Day, here.

 photo via Hoarder Rehab, more teacher destash here and here

He went to a good home where everyone loves him.  It sounds like it's gone to some collectors:

We loved this book and the author's other books when our daughter was a little girl. We've kept them all this time - can't give them away - because its too much fun to go back and read them again for some laughs! We love the small copy of the book along with the actual mouse and his cookie velcroed to his hand. Thanks for shipping so fast!

I know what she means about not being able to give them away!  And it is such a fun book to read.  And the Mr. Mouse doll is very cute and detailed!  He could hold straws in his pockets, scissors for his hair cut and perhaps even a refrigerator magnet for his drawing!

photo via Hoarder Rehab, more teacher destash here and here

Saying Goodbye:   It used to be heart wrenching to let some of my teacher destash go, especially the plush characters.  I think it's really helped to write about it on this blog because I know I've come a long ways since, Freddy the Frog puppet.  I remember letting him go was traumatic!

What I Learned:

1.  I have so many memories and feelings mixed in with my hoard that's it used to be very difficult to figure it out and let go and on top of it all, it certainly didn't seem very normal to me.  However now that letting go has gotten easier because now I know my reasons for hoarding and have accepted that hoarding is not normal for me, I can see how doing this has helped me immensely.

Plus dehoarding this way has really seemed to help me unclutter my mind and to stop hoarding.  

2.  I use the library more for any books I want to read, instead of hoarding them.  And yes, I might be found in the children's section reading my favorites again! 

3.  Dehoarding my teacher destash and writing about it on this blog has helped me come to grips with the good, the bad and the ugly of my inner city teaching days and to find peace with it.

What helps you find peace these days?  I am finding peace in more things, like feeling the sun in the backyard, having a clean house and the scents of spring.

Thank you Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab for sending your thoughts and finding something in common, like how hard it is to give loved stuff away!  I am so happy you love the book and mouse doll with his little velcroed cookie as much as I do.  Thank you!

Thank you Etsy for helping me make connections with people who are kind enough to help support my Hoarder Rehab with the back story of their purchase and for letting me know how much they love them.  It's such a relief to me as a recovering hoarder!

Thank you US, Brazil, Canada, China, Malaysia, Spain, France, Indonesia, Mexico, Russia, Belgium and others for your visits and being part of my HoarderRehab and  The Destiny of Things!

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things and VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 107 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will be listing 1-2 new things there daily and 1-2 items at the other shops!  Keep an eye open for my handmade collages and cards which is my alternative to hoarding now! 

"Giggling eggs of my 5th Easter"
Print Easter postcards I made in the 80s, here

Related Stories:  other teacher destash

1.  Freddy the Frog Puppet, here:  Still trying to figure out why that one was so traumatic!

2.  Receipt Spike and Service Bell, here

3.  Polaroid Cameras, here

Most Read Story of the Day and WeekMikasa Flower Bowls:  The Destiny of Things, Story 173
Most Read Story of the Month:  My Organic Toothbrush Stick called Miswak  I'm still using the same stick twig after 8 months and still loving it!  My Miswak Toothbrush Update, three months later.  

Miswak is available, here, at our HoarderRehab Etsy shop and more miswak are available at The Destiny of Things, here! 

All Time Most Read StoryMy Louis Vuitton Collection the end of mine for the beginning of someone else.  The last piece of my LV collection, my 80s LV gold cornered wallet is available here at The Destiny of Things! 
Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment