Friday, March 14, 2014

Mikasa Flower Bowls: The Destiny of Things, Story 173

Mikasa Flower Bowls:  The Destiny of Things, Story 173

Two out of three Mikasa Flower Bowls from the 90s found new lives:


 Mikasa zinnia bowl, photo via Vintagetogoeasy, more vintage bowls here

I had two of these for some reason and both were let go to become added details to a garden wedding!  I used them either  as tea light holders because they disperse light in a beautiful round auras patterns or as floating flower bowls around my bath, night stand or dining room table.

They also used to house my extra gumball machine capsules on my stairway tansu.  Now I wish I would have gotten a photo of it before they left.

 Mikasa poppy bowl, photo via Vintagetogoeasy, more vintage bowls here

This large bowl was my favorite popcorn bowl and has spent many movie nights on the couch with me!  It was going to be in the garden wedding too, but sadly it didn't make it in one piece.  As a matter of fact, despite tons of bubble wrap, stuffing and fragile - glass warnings on each side of the package, it was broken into many pieces on it's journey.

We shipped out over 200 breakables of mainly glass objects and none of them has broken to pieces, so I've never worried about an item until now, since this is the first thing broken beyond repair during all my dehoarding adventures!!!  Luckily the two smaller zinnia bowls arrived in order and it was mailed with USPS priority mail which includes tracking and insurance.

 Mikasa zinnia bowl, photo via Vintagetogoeasy, more vintage bowls here

Of course, we've already refunded the bride to be and put in a claim with USPS for damages, so it should be interesting to see how long it takes and what happens.

The oddest part is that they said to keep the pieces, so we asked her to do so, but I'm not sure how long she's supposed to keep them.  The USPS claim directions said not to mail them back, but to send photos of the damage, so that's been done.

How it broke is a mystery to me, since everything was wrapped in bubble wrap and then wrapped with layers of junk mail and the bottom, top and all sides padded with more crumbled up junk mail so nothing inside could move in it.  Lastly, fragile - glass was written all over it.

I thought the secret to shipping breakables was making sure nothing could jiggle around!  I guess we've just been lucky until now.

Mikasa poppy bowl, photo via Vintagetogoeasy, more vintage bowls here


Saying goodbye:  I was happy to let these go to the bride to be and her garden wedding.  I could feel her enthusiasm and excitement through emails about her plans and such, however when I found out the poppy bowl was broken my heart sank.  It's the first thing of my hoard that didn't make it to it's new life and she was too, but at least the other two made it.

So I'm going to be thankful the two other bowls made it and wait to see what happens with USPS priority mail insurance and see how it works and follow up with an update posting on it all.

What I Learned:

1.  Other people's enthusiasm and excitement really do help me let go of things a lot more easily.  Maybe this is a hint that I should muster up more enthusiasm and excitement about dehoarding!

2.  Will I remember the broken bowl in six months?  I don't think so and hopefully USPS will come to a satisfying conclusion with our claim.

3.  Remember how my last few stories have been about my overbuys, here, here and here. because I buy the supplies for projects and then forget about how I'm going to use them?  So I started making lists?  Last Thursday's project day, I did use the small red heart doilies, so the list is working and I'll post photos about it next week, perhaps on Thursday!  I'm really happy about it, even though I only used one doily!

Thank you Etsy buyer from Vintagetogoeasy for being so kind and understanding about everything, but especially about shipping.  Some things we just don't have any control over once it's out of our hands and USPS is a big something!  

Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm, excitement and story with me!  It's been a great help with mine.

Oh and thank you for expressing in a laughable way that you may be on your way to hoarding too and how hard it is to part with something and sell it!  and even harder to stop buying with a wedding on it's way!  Best wishes and Congratulations to you and your fiancee!

Thank you Etsy for sending such a kindred spirit my way and for bringing me closer to my dreams of a Minimalist Organic home with a music art room rather than hoard storage!  

Thank you US, China, UK, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Poland and the many others helping me with my HoarderRehab and  The Destiny of Things by stopping in!

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things and VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 100 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will be listing 1-2 new things there daily and 1-2 items at the other shops!  Keep an eye open for my handmade collages and cards which is my alternative to hoarding now!
 
 
Most Read Story of the Month:  My Organic Toothbrush Stick called Miswak  I'm still using the same stick twig after 8 months and still loving it!  My Miswak Toothbrush Update, three months later.  

Miswak is available, here, at our HoarderRehab Etsy shop.  Four more miswak are available at The Destiny of Things, here! 

All Time Most Read StoryMy Louis Vuitton Collection the end of mine for the beginning of someone else.  The last piece of my LV collection, my 80s LV gold cornered wallet is available here at The Destiny of Things! 
 
Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment