Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Vintage 60s Peacock Brown Beaded Handbag: The Destiny of Things, Story 160

Vintage 60s Peacock Brown Beaded Handbag:  The Destiny of Things, Story 160

For someone who doesn't use purses, I have quite the collection!

photo via VintageToGoEasy, my purse collection, available here

At last count it was over 30 and that doesn't take into account my Louis Vuitton or my straw basket purse collections.  I guess every woman is looking for the allusive perfect purse that looks stylish, yet holds everything in an easy to reach organized manner!

I used to have my purse collection as wall art, but most of my favorite pieces have sold.  I'll have to dig up the photo as wall art.  I've had one at each house I've lived in, either at the entry way, hallway or guest bedroom.

Why I have so many of them is still a mystery to me, so maybe this posting will get down to the bottom of my hoarding secret with handbags!  

I don't even use purses.  I mainly use backpacks!  The one I use currently is from the old MimsMaine Etsy shop that now seems to have changed to something else.  I have the old style bag that I had custom made with all the bells and whistles of it's time, like this one:


In hindsight I should have gotten all canvas because it can get very heavy, but packs many books and even lunch! photo via roughandtumblebags

It converts from a backpack to shoulder bag.  It has a many pockets, some zippered for extra security and some not for easy quick access for cell phone, pens, a book, wallet, checkbook and so much more!

I love this backpack purse and think it's the ultimate!  I think I can use this until the day I die!  

Here is a photo of it as a shoulder purse:



On with the story at hand, I have no idea why I have so many purses, except that people often give them to me like the brown seed bead purse that started this whole posting.

This one was inside a tansu that I had bought, yes I have a collection of Japanese tansus, including a stairway tansu called a kaidan dansu most like this left facing one, but much larger:


As a matter of fact, my kaidan was used in place of these steps, which the owner had to build to replace it's use after I bought it from his shop:

photo via Antique Japanese Warehouse in Los Angeles

I have about eight tansu:  two sewing boxes, 2 pillar, kaidan, 2 kimono clothes, Buddhist shrine, entryway storage that I can count off the top of my head.  I eventually want to use the kaidan tansu as a stairway to a sleeping reading loft area and sleep traditionally like old time Japanese and keep the sleeping comforts in it.

Anyways, the beaded purse was in the stairway tansu withe some other paper ephemera treasures!

photo via VintageToGoEasy, my purse collection, available here

I think most of my purse hoard is due to gifts.  I just took a break and had a looksee at all my purses and yes, most of them were all given to me, even most of my Louis Vuitton collection, story here and my favorite Red Kantha bag that was difficult to part with, story here, even my mom gives me small cosmetic like bags annually for many years, so I have quite a collection of handmade purses from several family members too.

I wonder what it means when someone receives many purses, but uses backpacks... and if I'm not using a backpack I just stick what I need in my pockets, so I'm definitely not a purse person.

However, I am a basket person!  I love handwoven baskets of all kinds!  but that's another story!

photo via VintageToGoEasy, my purse collection, available here


Back to this one... this reminded me of the old school days of the 60s when people still wore evening attire, like cocktail dresses, evening bags, gloves and hats.  The whole sha-bang!

The Etsy buyer who ordered this is doing just that!  Using it as a "fancy" evening bag!  that's all it said and that's all I needed to relax and let go...

I wonder why as a recovering hoarder, it brings me such peace to know that my stuff has landed safely in the hands of someone who loves it too!  and I especially love the fact that their chosen words were "fancy evenings out" because I wish I could be a fly on the wall to see the evening ensemble that matches my her our purse! 

Also they wished me luck on my journey and that always sends me hope and surges of motivation.


photo via VintageToGoEasy, my purse collection, available here

Saying Goodbye:   I think I'll be extremely happy when my entire purse collection is gone and not sure what I'll do if I receive another purse as a gift.  However I do enjoy making purses, small tiny amulet type ones that is more like a pouch necklace that will hold a key, dinero bills and credit cards or two. I rarely use them, but love to make them!  I've made several, but have lost them along the way, one has been found and can be seen here.

 photo via The Destiny of Things, pouch necklace available here

What I Learned:

1.  I'm not a purse person, but have a collection, yet I do love gym bags, camera bags and woven basket containers.  I'm not a shoe person either, yet seem to have a collection of those too, but that one is because my feet are on the small side and it's not easy finding a decent style comfy shoe in size 5.

Anyone know how to turn down a gift graciously and not end up keeping it?  Much of my hoard seems to be unused gifts that I've kept all these years!

Thank you Etsy buyer from VintageToGoEasy for sending me a short pleasant note that took me for another ride for answers concerning my hoard!

Thank you Etsy for finding new lives and homes for over 575 of my hoarded items and for the kindness of strangers sharing their behind the purchase story to help me with mine!

Thank you US, Germany, Brazil, Canada, France, UK, South Korea, Poland, Russia and Ukraine for your visits and taking part in my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things adventures!  

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things, VintageToGoEasy and now JunkDrawerLove!  There are about 103 items listed on JunkDrawerLove and relistings to each shops daily and adding new listings weekly to all shops too!  Thanks for looking!

Maybe you'll find something to and give it a new life and share your story with me!

Related Stories:  More from my purse collection...

1.  Killing Two Birds with One Stone or Two Purses Ordered with New Friendship Made, story here!


3.  The End of My Louis Vuitton Collection is the beginning for someone else, here

4.  My Second to Last Piece of Louis Vuitton Gone!  Read about it here

"Onwards and Upwards!" ---mdf club

No comments:

Post a Comment