Friday, February 21, 2014

Eternally Yours Fork and Spoons: The Destiny of Things, Story 164

Eternally Yours Fork and Spoons:  The Destiny of Things, Story 164

I love the name of this silverware and the pattern!

photo via The Destiny of Things, last three spoons available here

Here's another collection I started, but didn't finish and I'm so thankful I didn't!  I think I started it because I could be just like my mom in some old fashioned nostalgic way and have silverware to go with my Grandmother's China dish sets.

I could not afford "real" sterling silverware like my Mom, so I opted for the Eternally Yours pattern by 1847 Roger Bros that is still affordable.

However, around the time I started collecting this silverware I became bedridden sick and became allergic to most everything, except filtered water without chlorine and touching any kind of metal was very unpleasant.  Imagine every doorknob and faucet I had to touch, which was mainly the bathroom and kitchen since I didn't leave the bed much covered in plastic bags!

My Grandmother's china dish set was off limits too because both sets are rimmed in platinum.  Plastic utensils became my new best friend!

Slowly my allergies have gone away from many detoxes and I can touch most metals now, except for sterling or silver plate and I can thankfully digest more than water now.

I've waited over three years to be able to touch silver and still no go, so I've not only let go of this collection of silverware, but my sterling Native American collection and most of my other jewelry too!

photo via The Destiny of Things, forks SOLD OUT!  Thanks to Etsy buyer!

An Etsy buyer came and needed these forks for her daughter's bridal shower pronto!  Luckily we live in the same state and thanks to USPS, it got there in a jiffy.  Interestingly enough, the buyer and I had a kind of instant connection and later she returned for some of the spoons!

photo via The Destiny of Things, last three spoons available here

I am so thankful my hoard is finding new lives in such special ways, such as an heirloom set for a bride!  I am also thankful for the many "happy" sales where I feel a positive connection with a buyer who is just as happy to receive it as I am to see it off!


Saying Goodbye:  I think I'm finally back on course with dehoarding painlessly.  I've been sleeping long hours the past month, so maybe not having insomnia is helping me.  I don't think I've slept so much in my life and find catching up with sleep very time consuming, but necessary for my overall health.

I'd like to know when I'll know when enough sleep is enough.  I suppose it will be the same way when I know dehoarding will be done too.

What I Learned:

1.  I've always wondered what the IS on the back of the Eternally Yours silverware meant and this is what I found from Replacements, Ltd:

IS are the initials of International Silver, which  started as a combination of 14 of America’s greatest silver manufacturers. The American northeast was home to many companies that, over time, developed a reputation for producing quality sterling, silverplate, and stainless dinnerware.

During the Colonial period, each of the flatware manufacturers settled in the American northeast, predominantly, in Connecticut. For the most part, these companies dealt in producing metal alloy and sterling pieces.

During this period, the predominant form of silverware was pewter. Pewter, a metal alloy, was popular, although, not durable. Meriden Britannia introduced a stronger alloy that was deemed “britanniaware.” Britanniaware was popular because of its malleable, yet, durable qualities.

In 1847, Rogers Brothers introduced a line of “electroplated” silver pieces. The formula for producing a durable, plated flatware had taken many years to perfect. The first pattern to be marketed as a “fancy plated flatware” was Olive. Although discontinued, this antiquated pattern can readily be found and is available through Replacements.

Meriden Britannia and Rogers Brothers, decided that it would be to the advantage of all to organize a cartel of silverware manufacturers and to share industry secrets. In 1898, this cartel became a reality with the joining of 14 silver producers into one corporation. The largest of these were Holmes and Edwards, Meriden Britannia, and Rogers Brothers.

The merger of 1898 proved to be efficient and successful. However, the new company failed to produce any record breaking flatware sales. It wasn’t until 1939, when International Silver introduced the Joan of Arc line that the company’s sales began to increase. In 1940, International would experience more astronomical growth with the introduction of Prelude.

Throughout the years, International Silver has remained immensely popular. In 1968, International Silver was absorbed into the Insilco holding company. In 1976, the making of sterling hollowware was completely discontinued and International Silver’s plated hollowware division was sold to Oneida.

During the mid-1980’s, Katy Industries purchased International Silver and merged the company with Wallace Silversmiths. Later, the Wallace name and International name became separate entities when Syratech Corporation purchased Katy Industries flatware holdings. Today, both Wallace and International remain part of Syratech.

And there you have it, more information than I ever wanted to know, but now my curiosity is gone.

Thank you Etsy buyer from The Destiny of Things for you story, positive connection and return!  I hope all my dehoarding is as painless and joyful as our transactions!

Thank you Etsy for connecting over 580 of my hoarded items with new lives and better homes to make my home more beautiful and manageable too!  Gotta love win win situations!  Thanks!

Thank you US, UK, India, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, France, Lebanon, Norway and Russia for your support as I journey through my HoarderRehab and  The Destiny of Things!

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things and VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 99 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will be listing 1-2 new things there daily and 1-2 items at the other shops!  Keep an eye open for my handmade things which is my alternative to hoarding now!  Thanks for looking!

Still available, the 1847 Roger Bros. Eternally Yours pattern spoons here. Thank you! 

 Related Stories:  The Destiny of Things as symbols of LOVE!
1.  My first Eternally Yours story that mirrors mine, read it here
2.  Coincidental Wedding Anniversary Stories of Copper Sacred Heart Tins, click here for the story!
3.  A Trinket Box turned into Wedding Ring Box, click here to read the story!
4.  Wedding Jars, for a candy bar, instead of an alcohol bar.
5.  Fun Love Dice Anniversary gift and update here! 

Most Read Story of the Week:   80s Rainbow Works Educational Cards:  The Destiny of Things, Story 162, read it here 

Most Read Story of the Month:  My Organic Toothbrush Stick called Miswak  I'm still using the same stick twig after 8 months and still loving it!  My Miswak Toothbrush Update, three months later. 

All Time Most Read StoryMy Louis Vuitton Collection the end of mine for the beginning of someone else.  The last piece of my LV collection, my 80s LV gold cornered wallet is available here at The Destiny of Things! 

"Harmony.  It's not what's lasting or permanent.  It is about individual voices coming together for a moment.  And that moment lasts a length of a breath, or in my instance a transaction.  That's what I think about my time here."---Frank Underwood from House of Cards or in my case, I think it's "destiny, as well as harmony."

See my latest washi tape collage art pertaining to this quote here!  I love collage art as my new alternative to hoarding! And coincidentally the quote is typed out using my Underwood vintage typewriter!

No comments:

Post a Comment