Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Cocktail Umbrella Craft: The Destiny of Things, Story 225

Cocktail Umbrella Craft:  The Destiny of Things, Story 225

Good old fashioned paper cocktail umbrellas in a craft project!

photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy
available here

These are another loved item from my childhood that my parents brought home from date night.  I had a collection of these along with drink ornaments mermaids and other animals, like the ones below:

photo via JunkDrawerLove Etsy
available here

They seem to be coming back in style again!  We've been getting large order requests for weddings to cocktail parties, but this order was to make a wreath!

Here are some of my favorites I found on Etsy:

I love the "Welcome" sign and would make mine with a tiki luau font!


I love the honeycomb pom poms accents on this one!
photo via KellyssKreations

I like the ones with the umbrellas fully opened.
photo via ShadowCatCrafts

I wonder if craft styrofoam in wreath shape would work or some kind of wreath shaped mesh and as the party progresses, one could just pluck an umbrella off it as drinks are made.

These umbrellas are great for children's drinks too!  I remember getting my Shirley Temple with a pretty paper umbrella, thin red stir straw just like grown ups!  with a cherry at the end of the umbrella and a couple more swimming around!

Will you be having a clean or dirty Shirley?
photo via Beauties and the Feasts with Dirty Shirley recipe

I always felt like I was having my own grown up fancy drink and would sit up straight and think of how maraschino cherries didn't seem like cherries and wondered how they got the seed out with the stem on! And afterwards, I'd put the umbrella behind an ear and feel like singing, "on the good ship lollipop!"

Shirley Temple via google images

History of the Shirley Temple Drink from Wise Geeks:  A Shirley Temple is a sweet, non-alcoholic drink named after the child actress Shirley Temple. The drink was invented for Shirley by a bartender in Beverly Hills, CA. The bartender worked at Chasen’s restaurant, a place Shirley Temple often frequented as a child.

Since she clearly could not drink alcohol, Chasen’s sought a drink that would appeal to Shirley’s young palate, and the Shirley Temple was born.

The original recipe called for two parts ginger ale, one part orange juice and about a teaspoon to tablespoon of grenadine. It was usually garnished with a cherry and possibly an orange slice.

 photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy 
available here

Saying Goodbye:   I still use these to decorate fruit salads and I'm having a Shirley Temple light at the moment, just sparkling water and cherry juice while going down memory lane on the good ship lollipop.

What I Learned:

1.  So many crafts and so little time!  I've returned to mending as a creative outlet because I find it so connecting to myself in a peaceful quiet way.  There's something about giving new life to something worn and falling apart as it turns into something else, while reconnecting to myself in some way I can't explain.

What memories to these paper umbrellas bring you?

 photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy 
available here

Thank you Etsy buyer from JunkDrawerLoveEtsy for sending me your little note that has inspired and motivated me with mine, especially to keep making time to craft, mend and continue art projects, instead of dehoarding on Etsy all the time!

Thank you Etsy for getting me this far by freeing 782 hoarded items!

Thank you US, Turkey, Russia, France, Canada, Germany, Poland, China, Netherlands, Ukraine, Australia, Singapore and many other who have visited since last Friday in support of my my Hoarder RehabThe Destiny of Things

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 184 items ,  The Destiny of Things-192 items , VintageToGoEasy - 174 items and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy - 168 items!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!



Related Stories:  about stuff from my childhood... 


2.  Syringe Pens:  The Destiny of Things, Story 186

3.  Caco Twin Baby Doll Set:  The Destiny of Things, Story 207

4.   The Destiny of Things:  US Puzzle Map, Story XIV

5.  Pirate or Tooth Fairy Treasure Chest Tooth Keeper Box:  The Destiny of Things, Story 193  

6.  Mosler Toy Bank Vault and Hugo, the Movie:  The Destiny of Things, Story XLI

7.  Copper Souvenir Bracelet from Chile:  The Destiny of Things, Story LIII

8.  Joan Walsh Anglund Childhood Planters:  The Destiny of Things Story LXIII 

9.  Miniature White China Cabinet:  The Destiny of Things, Story #108 

10.  Tooth Necklaces for Pre-K Classroom:  The Destiny of Things, Story 209

"Where the bon bons play on the sunny beach of peppermint bay and there you are happy landing on a chocolate bar!" ---Shirley Temple and The Good Ship Lollipop

2 comments:

  1. Oh the Shirley Temple! They sure we're good. Mine always came garnished with a thin orange slice and cherries.Thanks for the history lesson. Just last week I bought some Maraschino cherries to put in a fruit salad my grandmother used to make. Memory lane is kind of fun to go down once in a while, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your Shirley came with an orange slice and cherry, you were getting a Shirley Temple Classic!

    ReplyDelete