Monday, July 14, 2014

Walter Skolnik's Sonatina Sheet Music: The Destiny of Things, Story 219

Walter Skolnik's Sonatina Sheet Music:  The Destiny of Things, Story 219

Around the end of May, I got a story from an Etsy buyer-fellow hoarder just asking a question!

 
60s Walter Skolnik's Sonatina F horn & piano sheet music T157
 photo via The Destiny of Things, available here 

She didn't order it, but she gave me a story in her email inquiry.  While you read, listen to one of his Sonatina's, here:

One of the things I've always (since I was 3) wanted to do was to learn to play a plethora of instruments. I just turned 47 and my mom's family would pick up practically ANY instrument and be playing like a pro within 20 minutes or so...most of them never learned to read music, but they'd be able to play by ear. 

My favorite aunt had played the organ as a child and my uncle bought her a huge organ with 3 or 4 rows of keyboards. She just got frustrated (I don't think she ever played it), but my uncle sat down and started playing by ear as if he were born playing, even though the only instrument he'd ever taken lessons to play had cost my granddaddy 25 cents for lessons on playing the mandolin. 

I took clarinet lessons in Jr. High school and could read music, but felt way more comfortable playing by ear. I'm realizing that there are way too many family friends who've passed away with regrets about the things they'd always thought they'd have time to learn later. I've been taking acoustic guitar lessons for 2 months once a week now.the piano and saxophone are also on my list of instruments I want to learn to play. 

My question is...is piano sheet music going to be of any use to me with the guitar lessons? Thanks! From one hoarder to another.

 60s Walter Skolnik's Sonatina F horn & piano sheet music T157
 photo via The Destiny of Things, available here

Here's what I wrote back:

What a beautiful story! I just love it and thank you for sharing it with me.

Your relatives and you must have more than stupendous musical genes running through your family to be able to play by ear like that because learning to play an instrument, knowing how to read music or not was a trying learning technique in itself for me, just to learn how to play a flute, clarinet and violin with a note sounding how it's supposed to sound, took me unimaginable time and practice and is most likely why I stuck with only piano!

If you've been wanting to play a plethora of instruments since you were 3 years old and you can play by ear and have many relatives that can guide you, I don't think you'll be needing this sheet music!

I don't think this sheet music is geared towards guitar. It's for horn and piano. I have a friend who played horn for decades and then gave it up, so I bought this for him as inspiration, but it didn't work.

I do have this listed when I was interested in returning to piano and guitar and for the time, when I could write music again in variations, so it might help you now... Chords were so important to me in music...

Chord dictionary guide listed here:

www.etsy.com/listing/156729932/90s-piano-chord-dictionary-musician-song

How are you doing as a fellow hoarder? and musician in crime these days?

Please excuse my tardiness in writing back, it's been so busy on Etsy for me, it's crazy! But at least my hoard is leaving one item at a time! (which isn't always easy either!)

Thank you for the inspiration and motivation. I hope I can use your story on my blog and if I don't hear from you will leave you anonymous.

Feel free to write me anytime, when you have the time, since hoarding is a full time job! lol.

Kindest regards,
~Kennedy at
www.etsy.com/shop/HoarderRehab
www.etsy.com/shop/thedestinyofthings
www.etsy.com/shop/vintagetogoeasy
www.etsy.com/pt/shop/JunkDrawerLoveEtsy
hoarderrehab@gmail.com

Read 200+ stories from Etsy buyers who help me stay focused on my HoarderRehab!

hoarderrehab.blogspot.com/

“It's never too late to have a happy childhood." ---Tom Robbins, Still Life with Woodpecker. Author of "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues," one of my favorite novels from my college days.

 60s Walter Skolnik's Sonatina F horn & piano sheet music T157
 photo via The Destiny of Things, available here

Saying Goodbye:  Well, I haven't had to say goodbye to this sheet music yet, but I did say goodbye to the friend who I got it for and never had the chance to give it to him.  I didn't realize how many of my friendships were based around socializing with food or drinks, until I became bedridden sick, even family too.

 Piano Chord Dictionary, available here
Many of my piano books and sheet music have sold
There's still a bit with other books here

What I Learned:

1.  Interestingly enough, they say one never knows true friends except those who stay through thick and thin and in my case, sickness or poverty stricken times, even a messy hoarded up house, but it wasn't until I got bed ridden sick that I found true friends.

2.  My friend played the trumpet, but I suppose any horn can be played with it.  I did find Carlos Estevens playing with a French horn and José Ramón Martín on piano.  According to the youtube title, they are playing W. Skolnik's Sonatina, but do not know if it is the same Sonatina.  It's quite beautiful.  Listen to it here

1907 Distressed Antique Sheet Music, On the Road to Mandalay
Words by Rudyard Kipling - Music by Oley Speaks
photo via The Destiny of Things, available here
Sung by Frank Sinatra here

Thank you Etsyian from The Destiny of Things for sending a story with your question!  So interesting and insightful for me and my Hoarder Rehab!

Thank you Etsy for a surprise connection that turned into a helpful story for me about evolving friendships and passing through time with them.

Thank you US, Germany, Australia, Belaris, Canada, China, France, India, Luxembourg, Russia, Philippines, Taiwan, United Kingdom, Italy, Malaysia, Ukraine and many others for your supporting my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!   

My NEW GOAL is to have 175 items listed on each shop and one has just been met at Hoarder Rehab, The Destiny of Things and VintageToGoEasy, so I'll be listing at least one new item daily on each shop five days a week! 

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 183 items ,  The Destiny of Things-190 items , VintageToGoEasy - 177 items and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy - 166 items!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!


 photo via The Destiny of Things
Yoga for Musicians by Eleanor Winding available here
 inspired by her husband, Kai Winding 

Related Stories:  From other self proclaimed hoarders....

1.  Spice of Life Enamelware, here




My Sheet Music and Piano Books:



  Francis Underwood House of Cards Harmony quote reversible washi tape collage 4x6 art PRINT
photo via Hoarder Rehab, available here
 
"Harmony.  It's not what's lasting or permanent.  It is about individual voices coming together for a moment.  And that moment lasts a length of a breath, or in my instance a transaction.  That's what I think about my time here."---Frank Underwood from House of Cards or in my case, I think it's "destiny, as well as harmony."

View my House of Cards - Frank Underwood, Harmony quote double sided reversible washi tape collage art here, here and here!  It's a series of three so far!

2 comments: