Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Twilight Zone's Nick of Time and Ask Swami Fortune Cards: The Destiny of Things, Story 220

Twilight Zone's Nick of Time and Ask Swami Fortune Cards:  The Destiny of Things, Story 220

There seem to be Twilight Zone themed parties going on!


I've sold many complete sets and some in random specified amounts.  I didn't think these would be so popular, but people must remember them as I do.  Such nostalgic memories!

photo via Hoarder Rehab, available here

Someone was kind enough to send me an email and said they were using them  for a couple of parties.  I've seen several of the complete sets in other people's favorites among Twilight Zone ephemera and other Twilight Zone related items.

A complete set is 52 fortune cards, which are more like slips of paper printed on newsprint.  They are double sided and quite interesting fun!  It's set up like a deck of cards with hearts, diamonds, spades and clubs with kings and aces and everything in between but jokers.

Here is a complete set of 52, via The Destiny of Things
Click here and then zoom in for a closer look

These bring back memories when my brother and I would hit the thrift shops and antique malls at the "Orange Circle."  Afterwards we'd stop by a cafe that had the penny Swami napkin dispensers, just like William Shatner in Twilight Zone's "Nick of Time."  It felt like it was our personal gateway to the Twilight Zone!

 napkin dispenser side

One of my best finds back then from thrifting at Orange Cirlce was my Louis Vuitton coin purse with a see through divider that was only 5 bucks!

 One of my best finds at a thrift shop at the Orange CircleI know 5 bucks!?!  This was so long ago when one could still find authentic Louis Vuittonat thrift stores.  I used this til the Saks Fifth Avenue material was ripped up, but I didn't mind because it was like having two more dividers!

Anyways, back to the Swami Fortune cards.  I tried to find that cafe that had the Swami napkin dispensers, but no luck, but I did find a photo of this:


Of course, I'd always try it, but always lost my pennies because they were always out of fortunes!  I love fortune related ephemera and since I'm on my own dehoarding journey and have no idea what my life is going to be like after I dehoard, I send out a little fortune package with each order. 

 Here is an example of one.  Photo via Hoarder Rehab, available here
Each shop has a different sample.

I used to put one of these in each package, but since they've become a popular sale I've forgotten until now.  The fortune contents changes over time, except for the Fortune Fish, penny to change someones fortune to good luck, a fortune cookie fortune and loteria cards and there are always stickers from my hoarded sticker collection and other fun stuff I find.

What other fortune related items could I add? I'd love to find four leaf clovers, but haven't yet.


 photo via VintageToGoEasy, available here

Saying Goodbye:  I have plenty stashed away for myself and have considered using them as wallpaper, but since they are double sided it seems the print may come through each side. Anyone out there with other ideas?

photo via VintageToGoEasy

What I Learned:

1.  They are big hit slipped into napkins, but beware Swami isn't always gracious nor the romantic type, so his answers might crush some sensitive hearts!  I haven't had a chance to read them all, but remember they are from the 50s-60s, so some might not be PC or politically correct.  So if there are kids at the table, one might be doing some history explaining!

2.  I do love paper and think I have enough.  Now if I can some how prepare myself to let go of my vintage Sanrio and Paper Moon stationery that I've collected from the 70s on.  What to do!

When I was sorting, I did find that the aces had different versions from each suit
and there were a lot more aces in my batch.

Thank you Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab for letting me know that these are going to be in a couple of parties.  Of course, I want to be a fly on the wall to see how these will be incorporated... slipped in guest cocktail napkins?

Thank you Etsy for everything!  especially the interesting people I meet along my journey!

Thank you US, Ukraine, Chili, France, UK, Philippines, Canada, China, Germany and many others for your visits since Monday and taking part in my Hoarder RehabThe Destiny of Things!

My NEW GOAL is to have 175 items listed on each shop and three have been met at Hoarder Rehab, The Destiny of Things and VintageToGoEasy, so I'll be listing at least one new item daily on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy until the goal is met and am thinking of listing 200 on each shop next!

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 183 items ,  The Destiny of Things-190 items , VintageToGoEasy - 177 items and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy - 167 items!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!
 Watch the promotional for the episode on youtube, here
 and the full episode on imbd, here

Related Story:

1.  See how another Etsy buyer uses these Swami Fortune cards, here

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone"---Opening narration of Seasons 4&5

2 comments:

  1. Dont know what rock I was hiding under during that time because I don't recall swami fortune cards or napkin dispensers. Sounds like I missed out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gateway to the Twilight Zone may be found on Route 66 in Southern California where there is one roadside diner, The Summit Inn that still has the penny Swami Fortune napkin dispensers, but they call it, "The Answer Box."

    ReplyDelete