Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Miniature White China Cabinet: The Destiny of Things, Story #108

Miniature White China Cabinet:  The Destiny of Things, Story #108

Goodbye childhood miniature dollhouse collection!  Hello cottage kitchen!


It's been countless years and I'm not sure what I thought I was going to do with my childhood dollhouse miniature collection, but it's been kept in the same large blue dress box labeled on masking tape in my mother's writing, "MINIATURES."

As a recovering hoarder, I started to count the pieces and stopped at 35 because there are too many sets of miniatures, like mechanical vaccum and sweeper, distressed spun glass punch bowl with ladle and cups, working toaster, pots, pans, distressed wooden doll family, wicker baby carriage with caco twins, Casablanca upright piano with bench and sheet music, 70s retro mod patio umbrella, 6 nesting Mexican folk art bowls and much more...

I'd estimate from 50 - 100 miniatures from kitchenware, home decor, tea party sets to furniture sets, such as living room, dining room, bedroom sets and patio furniture.  Some of it has sold, maybe half of it is listed here, in my "yesteryear's toy box"section  or do a "miniature" search at HoarderRehab to see what's still available.


I was so happy to to find this note about my little china cabinet:

"This little china cabinet is just great ! And not to worry it will be well loved and filled with very pretty dishes and glassware and live in a cottage kitchen !" 

As a recovering hoarder it's always such a relief to get just two extra sentences of reassurance, it's feels like someone is patting me on the back for not only a good job, but everything is going to be okay in the dehoarding department of life.  The visual knowing that this cupboard is going to hold pretty dishes and glassware and have a new home in a cottage kitchen helps me to keep going beyond belief!


Saying Goodbye:  Ambivalent is the word that comes to mind, which I just looked up and means "mixed feelings or of two minds."  Actually with insomnia again, I'm leaning towards apathy.  There's a lot of lack of interest, enthusiasm and/ or concern about my dehoarding at the moment.

I was on a roll too.  I opened a fourth shop, JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, cleared out twenty or more empty boxes from the hoarded room and should be happy to say that many large items, at least 100 -200 have found new homes, so there's much more space now to move on to organizing my ga-zillion junk drawers! 

What I Learned:

1.  It's best to be thankful and count my lucky stars for what I have when I get like this from insomnia.  I'm thankful that I don't have something worse than insomnia.  I'm thankful that even though I'm functioning in a heavy slow motion haze, I'm still getting a lot more done than moping in bed.

2.  Maybe I can turn my temporary insomniac apathy into a good thing, maybe it's a good time to purge right now, especially since I feel apathetic about my hoard because usually my insomnia makes it much more difficult to let go.  X-nay that thought, it gave me a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach, like I might regret it later.

3.  I am thankful that I'm moving forward daily with my dehoarding and that over 360 items have been given better lives and new homes.  I am thankful that the path in the music art room is large enough to reach all corners of the room now, instead of half way in and out in one direction.

4.  I've loved anything miniature since I was a kid and as a teen to adulthood moved on to collecting miniature charms in silver and gold, especially the moveable charms.  I still love miniatures and charms, but don't have the need to own any.  Wow, did I actually say that?  I am making progress!

The beginning of my charm jewelry collection is available here at VintageToGoEtsy, here at HoarderRehab and here at The Destiny of Things.

What is your favorite childhood collection that you still collect today?  Off the top of my head, it's my coin, stamp and matchbox collections!

Thank you Etsy buyer for sending me a quick note that helped me know that my China hutch is well loved and will be used everyday in a mini cottage kitchen!

Thank you Etsy for the best dehoarding outlet ever!  I am already feeling better with a sense of accomplishment of so many of my large decor items finding new lives that I am now moving on to drawers!  With plans of closets and other storage furniture to tackle after the drawers!

Thank you US, Austrailia, Germany, Phillipines, Russia, Ukraine,  Singapore, Armenia, Canada, Serbia and India for taking part in my Hoarder RehabThe Destiny of Things!

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things and VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 20 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will be listing 1-3 new things there daily and 1-2 items at the other shops!  Thanks for looking!

Relates Stories about Miniatures and/ or Charms:

1.  Mid Century Modern Mini Television:  just like my grandmother's real one!

2.  My Teacher Charm Bracelet:  the entire alphabet in tiny sterling letters! updated with photos!

3.  Love Charms:  Story from another teacher!

4.  Joan Walsh Anglund Planters:  my small child size planters!

No comments:

Post a Comment