Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Olvera Street Bracelets: The Destiny of Things, Story 205

Olvera Street Bracelets:  The Destiny of Things, Story 205

A story without a story from January 2014!

 photo via VintageToGoEasy
Handwoven Folk Art bracelet bangles without beads, available here

Around December 2013, Mr. H bought all of my beaded bangle bracelets and one without beads.  I was hoping these would return with a story, but they didn't, but one came from me anyway!

In college I bought a ring at the Pasadena Rose Bowl Swap Meet just like the bracelet without beads, but it had "Haiti" woven in into it.  I love it to pieces, figuratively and literally!

I loved that ring and wore it all the time.  Mostly for it's beauty and the mind boggling notion of someone taking the time and know how to weave in "Haiti." I wore it until it was practically fully unwoven and I could no longer repair it with glue.

Now that this memory has come forward, I think I unconsciously bought the bracelets with that connection lost in my mind until today.

However, I bought the bracelets on Olvera Street at Pueblo Historical Monument at a little stand in the 80s during a school field trip when I was a new teacher in Los Angeles.

 This is some what of a photo of how I remember Olvera St, but I haven't been there in ages.
The last time I was there was perhaps five years ago and it was so crowded and hot 
that I got a Tamarindo drink, went straight back to my car, thanked God for a/c and went home.

Olvera Street was my first class field trip as a teacher and supervising is not easy in this large uncontainable area with 30 students running around and I was so nervous the entire time.  It was crowded and noisy and I kept counting my students over and over thinking I was going to lose one of them in the crowds.

Eyeing the bracelets and buying them took my mind off of of my worries for a few minutes and I felt better with them.

Now that they are leaving, I've decided to keep the other three, and perhaps I'll actually wear them this time knowing that they give me peace of mind.

I am still wondering if they are from Haiti and if they are how they got to Olvera Street.

 photo via VintageToGoEasy
Handwoven Folk Art bracelet bangles without beads, available here

Saying Goodbye:  Today is Tuesday, June 3, 2014, It's been almost six months since I last started this posting and I did have the bracelets set on my tansu to remind myself to wear and I did put them on and I wore them for less than 5 minutes!

Wearing jewelry just feels weird to me now.  Heavy and in the way, like an annoying distraction!  Well, I can't believe I just said that!  I am or was such the jewelry hound!  Jewelry was my favorite accessory!

Not anymore, now I'm jewelry-less and fine with it.  I haven't worn jewelry for over ten years when I gave it up for Lent due to my teacher Catholic friend asking me what I was giving up each year, it was kinda like a running a joke that I actually practiced.  One year it was my watch and the next year it was jewelry.

Sometimes I was caught off guard with the question and other years I had an answer all ready!  I first gave up double chocolate chip cookies from the school cafeteria at recess break.  They were huge, probably like 10- 15 cookies in one!  I ate one daily five times a week!

The next year I gave up sugar.  I mean, it's only 30 days.  I felt so much better after giving up sugar and quite frankly it was easier than I thought to do, so I never went back.  I gave up swearing and cussing, carbs, television, beer, wine, then any alcohol, fried foods, new clothes ( I only bought second hand clothes) and every year when I remember, I do give up something for Lent, even though I'm not Catholic.

This year I gave up fried foods and tried juice fasting Tues through Th, eating vegan, except for Friday, but instead of eating fish ate organic free range chicken.  I've tried the vegan route (I was a raw vegan for over 2 years) and I just can't survive on it and feel good.


 photo via VintageToGoEasy
Handwoven Folk Art bracelet bangles without beads, available here

What I Learned:

1.  I'm having difficulties staying on topic after a time consuming bottom less pitt exciting fun filled few weekends that took up a lot of my energy and left me feeling stressed, exhausted, wiped out with muddled cloudy thinking. 

I'm learning to pace myself and take care of my needs and wants and make things a win win situation for all, including myself because I tend to overlook, postpone or forget about me .

2.  As a recovering hoarder, there are things I love that I'm just not going back to no matter how much I love them, like jewelry, even non metallic jewelry that I'm not allergic too.  At this moment, as a recovering hoarder this seems confusing to me because I just love jewelry!  All jewelry!

3.  I need a lot of rest and down time from situations that overexcite me in more ways than one and perhaps as a recovering hoarder, I need more "set" boundaries than I imagined.

 Inside a shop on Olvera Street

How do you stay grounded?  I'm not so good at it and tend to get carried away with others enthusiasm, ideas and even their problems!

Thank you Etsy buyer from VintageToGoEasy for not leaving me a story, but getting one anyway from myself.   This has only happened a few times, but maybe it's a sign that my mind is uncluttering due to dehoarding.  Does this mean, soon I won't need other people's story to trigger mine?

Thank you Etsy for helping me start and evolve my Hoarder Rehab journey into something beneficial for more than just myself.

Thank you US, Canada, France, Luxembourg, India, Poland, Brunei, Germany, Italy, Israel and other countries visits at my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!   

My NEW GOAL is to have 175 items listed on each shop and one has just been met at The Destiny of Things, so I'll be listing at least 1 new item daily on at least one shop five days a week! 

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 173 items ,  The Destiny of Things-190 items , VintageToGoEasy - 167 items and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy - 143 items!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!

Related Stories:  Oh wow, that's 10 stories all from bracelets!

1.  My most favorite in the world, alphabet charm teacher bracelet story with update, here

2.  Cloisonne Cherry Blossom Clouds Bracelet:  The Destiny of Things, Story 196, here

3.  Five Cross Bracelet's New Life in Australia, here, Replacement bracelet from childhood

4.  Copper Souvenir Bracelet from Chile, here, birthday gift for copper jewelry collector from Chile

5.  Twin of "something blue" for you Native American bracelet, here

6.  My Tahe signed Native American bracelets, here

7.  Kuchi Bollywood bracelet necklace set, here

8.  Zuni Strength Bracelet for someone starting anew and making her dreams come true, here

9.  New Home for Turquoise, my stack rings and a bracelet, from paintthelight, here

"I must master a new way to think before I can master a new way to be." ---Marianne Williamson

2 comments:

  1. A few quick thoughts catch my attention...

    The beaded bracelets are cute. I really like them even tho I don't wear bracelets.

    I thought you stayed on topic for this post even tho you feel otherwise.

    The shop on Olvers St. looks like a fun and interesting shop that I would like to visit.

    Look at that candle rock. Is that a tea candle in it? This is a different candle rock from the drippy wax one.

    Keep on keeping on. You are doing a fine job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by again! Oddly enough I don't wear bracelets now either, nor do I think I will ever again even though bracelets used to be one of my favorite accessories. Thank you for letting me know I stayed on topic.

    Olvera Street is an interesting place to visit, so many places to visit in Los Angeles. If you are ever in the neighborhood, perhaps we'll take a stroll?

    Yes, that's a different candle rock. It's from the tide pools in San Pedro. Good eyes and memory!

    Thank you for the encouragement and kind words.

    ReplyDelete