Monday, June 16, 2014

Vintage Strawberry Erasers: The Destiny of Things, Story 211

Vintage Strawberry Erasers:  The Destiny of Things, Story 211

One thing leads to another in two or three! First all 8 strawberry erasers left and then...

photo via VintageToGoEasy
vintage mini erasers in classic 90s shapes, like shooting star, hearts, smiley faces here

The buyer said she needed more erasers, so I showed her some other vintage mini erasers, but she didn't want vintage erasers, but more strawberry erasers but I only had new retro style ones and she took those too!

 photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy
strawberry pencil topper erasers, here

And then these too!

photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy
600 twist tie closures available here

I bought the twist tie closures for Day of the Dead last year and she bought them for her daughter's strawberry themed party!  I'm not sure how she used hers, but I just twist tied some on to a papel picado banner to catch a glint of sunshine.

photo via ehow
I just cut mine free hand with scraps of tissue paper,
kinda like making a Christmas snowflake, but taped them further a part and added the ties here and there

Papel picado can be used for any festive occasion as a garland banner and children love to cut and make them too!  It's a great way way to introduce geometry and symmetry and these are easier to make and more forgiving to mistakes!  Another words, they still look good.

Also a good introduction to paper chain banner garlands too!  Remember holding hands paper doll chains!

Anyways, back to this story.... I had a whole box of vintage fruit erasers mainly grapes, strawberries and a few watermelon left over from my teaching days.

photo via VintageToGoEasy

These erasers all had the mark Taiwan on them, which mostly dates them at the 1980s to 90s, which is about the time I first started teaching.  How they ended up with me after retirement is a mystery, except I did work at a year round school in an inner city that was vandalized almost every weekend, so many times if it didn't fit in my designated closet during my two month vacation twice a year, I would end up taking it home and leaving it in a box there.

Teaching was not healthy for my hoarding ways due to low resources, weekly to monthly weekend outside vandalism and having 30 plus students to supply.  Just to give you an idea of how low resources were back then, I only had 4 student books in Science my first year teaching with zero teacher guides and I had a class of 32 and to complicate it even more 4 were English readers and 28 were Spanish readers. Oh and I am not bilingual.

I could go on and on, but it just gives me a stomach ache now.  I've been trying to move on, but due to no fault of mine that's another story in itself and most likely a whole other blog.

photo via VintageToGoEasy

Saying Goodbye:  I kinda had a twinge of sadness when the strawberry erasers left that got a bit larger when the rest of the erasers including the box left too!  But that is this Wednesday's story!

Due to the memories these bring, I am still tied to teaching in ways I do not have control over yet.  Only time will tell.

What I Learned:

1.  I can't keep buying things to relieve my stress, but at least now I know when my times of high peak stress are and what causes them, which I would have most likely not figured out without starting this Hoarder Rehab journey.

2.  Later I'd like to post about my "hoarding without hoarding" experiment to help with my high peak stress levels that occur 3 times a year, but right now I think I'm too overwhelmed with it in so many different ways that I can not explain it well, even to myself.  I think it's cluttered up my mind again!

3.  If you are like me and always learning how to find dates on certain vintage items, you might enjoy reading a little history and date guestimating from this article, Country of Origin as a Dating Tool by Coxsackie Antique Center, here.  It is interesting and quite informative to help guess the age of an item by it's country of origin usually printed on the bottom of it.

What new experiment have you tried with your life lately and how did it turn out?  My "hoarding without hoarding" experiment has kinda cluttered up my life again, but as with everything I'm sure I'll find it's silver lining!

 Fish Feet Strawberry Dance, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab


Thank you Etsy buyer from VintageToGoEasy for letting me know that these erasers are going to be in your daughter's strawberry themed birthday party and it's good to know that others are out there that love vintage, but can mix and match the new with the old.

Thank you Etsy and the Etsy community for supporting my continually evolving Hoarder Rehab journey!

Thank you US, China, Taiwan, France, UK, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Philippines, Russia, AU,Brazil, Canada, Serbia, Germany and others for supporting me and my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things

My NEW GOAL is to have 175 items listed on each shop and two have been met at The Destiny of Things and Hoarder Rehab, so I'll be listing at least 1 new item daily on each shop five days a week!

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 176 items ,  The Destiny of Things-194 items , VintageToGoEasy - 170 items and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy - 154 items!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!
 
 photo via VintageToGoEasy
 
Related Stories:  Other themed parties!
 
1.  Tiny 80s - 90s erasers from Taiwan for 30th Birthday 80s themed party, here
 
2.  Syringe Pen as part of cake topper for a Dexter themed party, here
 
3..  Underwater Themed Party with updated photos using Fortune Teller Miracle Fish in the AU, here 

"A dream is a wish from the heart."----Unknown

I'm really excited about tomorrow's blog post because it's not about hoarding, but about a very personally inspirational movie I saw last week, Finding Neighbors, which is about finding yourself and your dreams again, past age 50 and the magic that occurs when the most unexpected people come together and change it for the better.

2 comments:

  1. GREAT BLOG! You have a new follower. Thanks again

    Mike
    www.MikeKraus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! and you have a new follower too! Welcome to Etsy with many happy sales! Love your art work!

    https://www.etsy.com/shop/MikeKrausArt

    Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete