Monday, June 9, 2014

Old Tibetan Thangka Buddha Souvenir Art: The Destiny of Things, Story 208

Old Tibetan Thangka Buddha Souvenir Art:  The Destiny of Things, Story 208

One week someone is asking me if this piece was from the 1950s and the next week it's gone!

photo via Hoarder Rehab
more items from Asia to you here

An Etsyian asked the age of this piece because her collector friend only collected Thangka's from the 1950s or before and it was to be a gift.  I had no idea of it's age, so that's what I replied back in email.

The next week without another word, off it went!  I was thinking with crossed fingers quietly in relentless hope that maybe it wasn't from before 1950s and it would return, but it didn't. So now I presume this sits happily with a collector friend of Thangka Tangkas!

photo via Hoarder Rehab
more items from Asia to you here

Maitreya, Bodhisattva (Tibetan: cham pa. English: the One of Love), currently residing in the Tushita heaven, the next Buddha to appear in the world

Peaceful in appearance,he gazes forward with a beautiful countenance. The black hair is piled on the top of the head, like three crowns. The first pair of hands placed at the heart are in prayer, as a teaching gesture. The other upraised at the side holds a mala of prayer beads. The fourth holds a lotus blossom delicately between the fingers, indicating wisdom.

Adorned with a red aura, earrings, necklaces, bracelets and anklets, he wears a krishnasara turquoise edged silk robe. The legs are folded in lotus posture atop a moon disc, turquoise clouds and gold lotus seat surrounded by gold radiant light. Gold writing and designs appears to adorn the edges. The main bodhisattva is surrounded by smaller ones in different positions as if giving out instructions to those who want it. Most of the background has designs and writings in gold gilt

approx: 39" in length from the middle and 29" at it's widest part. Tibetan Buddhist ritual art, this one from Tibet or Nepal, hand painted in fair to good condition, with ripples and vintage wear on the image from age and being rolled and wrapped and unwrapped many years due to instructional use from traveling monks. See pics on zoom. Request more pictures too.

 
photo via Hoarder Rehab
the rippling from traveling rolled up is quite evident
more items from Asia to you here

Beautiful old tapered thangka in contrasting reds and turquoise paint along with green and orange cloth, looks like silk to me, but I am not certain.

Classic image of Buddha, in traditional Buddhist iconography, with brocade borders sewn onto the fabric painting. There is fading or loss or gold gilt where it was rolled the most, mainly towards the middle edges of the paining and creases on the brocades as well from storage.  

photo via Hoarder Rehab
more items from Asia to you here

Additional Information about Tibetan Thangka:

1. Originally, thangkas became popular among traveling monks because they were easily rolled and transported from monastery to monastery. These thangkas served as important teaching tools depicting the life of the Buddha, various influential lamas and other deities and bodhisattvas.

2. Thangka in Tibetan language, is a kind of religious scrolled painting, embroidery, brocade, tapestried-fine silk and/or applique, mounted in colorful silk or satin and displayed for worship.

3. The art covers a wide field comprising all the Buddha, Bueddhisattvas, Dharmapalas and doctrines and teaching of Buddhism. It also touches many other fields such as history, politics, economy, culture and social life of Tibetan nationality, etc.

4. Thangka is a behaviour of converting to Buddhism and worship and the aim of Thangka is not for the art's sake to express the imagination and creation or the persuit of the artists, but for the inspiration of the respect and worship to the Buddha from the believers. Therefore, Thangka can not be created out of the artist's will,but can only be created according to the religious rules and regulations. Thangka is an exclusive art and most important art category of Tibetan Buddhist.

photo via Hoarder Rehab
more items from Asia to you here

Saying Goodbye:  I do have issues with letting go of gifts, but this one I could never decide how to display and didn't want to alter it to hang it up, so it was kept rolled up in a box.  Some old things aggravate my allergies and some don't and I have no idea why.  

This piece did not help my allergies and although I could not keep it I am feeling quite melancholy about it's loss today, but I'm sure in six months to a year I most likely will not remember it.

What I Learned:

1.  I need to be more thankful that this went to a collector, since I'm sure he knows how to take care of it properly and display it without altering or damaging it.  Also I should be the fourth person who derives happiness from it.  Logically I can't use it, nor was it helping my health due to allergies or spiritually by being stored in a box.

First it left to someone kind enough to give it to her collector friend as a gift.  Secondly, it's now with him and getting enjoyment in someone's collection.  Thirdly, Mr Oz is glad that one more thing is out of the house!  Lastly, that even though I have raw feelings of loss over it now, I don't think they are going to last for long and definitely not as long as I focus on my long term goals of  a Minimalist Organic home with a Music Art room rather than stored hoard!

Thank you Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab for inquiring about this piece and finding a new life and home for it as a gift in a collection of Thangkas!

Thank you Etsy for my Hoarder Rehab outlet and helping me find home for over 730 hoarded items bringing me closer to my dreams of  an uncluttered life, home, mind and truck!

Thank you US, UK, Belgium, Israel, Thailand, Taiwan, Russia, China, Luxembourg, Canada, Philippines, Ukraine, South Africa and many other countries for your weekend visits and supporting my HoarderRehab and  The Destiny of Things!

My NEW GOAL is to have 175 items listed on each shop and one has just been met at The Destiny of Things, and now Hoarder Rehab, so I'll be listing at least 1 new item daily on at least one shop five days a week! 

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 176 items ,  The Destiny of Things-191 items , VintageToGoEasy - 170 items and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy - 145 items!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!


Related Stories:  My Asian Collection to New Homes....

1.  My Various Incense Burner Collection, one now in the Netherlands with update photo, here

2.  Japanese Screen Holder Frame Byobu, story here. What luck that I had all the pieces but the one that made this complete and the Etsy buyer had the one piece and needed all the rest!

3.  Chinese Cloisonne Thumb Ring, here, a kindred spirit not in the hoarding sense, but heart felt sent an email

4.  Cloisonne Koi Fish Charm and Japanese Deer Park, here

5.  Japanese Porcelain Appetizer Soup Spoons, here

6.  Not My Childhood Zanzashi!  The Madame Butterfly Opera House of San Jose or keep it, here

7.  Tabako bon:  My Incense Box finds a New Home in Kansas with a now good friend, here

8.  Obijime Kimono Accessory:  Obon dancing this year, read about it here

9.  Cloisonne Cherry Blossom Cloud Bracelet, here

It's times like these that I need to return to some of my old mantras and I dug this one up from 2007: 

"To achieve an uncluttered joyful peace of mind in an easy and relaxed manner, in a healthy and positive way, in it's own perfect timing for the highest good of all." ---Hoarder Rehab

2 comments: