Monday, June 30, 2014

Box of Dixon Ticonderoga ORIOLE 267 Pencils: The Destiny of Things, Story 215

Box of Dixon Ticonderoga ORIOLE 267 Pencils:  The Destiny of Things, Story 215

Another box of Dixon Ticonderoga ORIOLE 267 pencils have gone on to their new home!

photo via Hoarder Rehab
Dixon Executive 1408-2 wood pencils, available here
other vintage pencils and pencil related items here

and came with this email!

Received the pencils and other interesting items yesterday. Pick up was late due to my travels, not your posting. I am a huge fan of real lead pencils and use them everyday. Glad to have helped you decrease your hoard to a very small degree; however, I unfortunately have no interesting story to leave with you. Best of luck to you with your project.

and later this in feedback:

Perfection with a greater supply of my favorite lead pencils! Thank you for the opportunity to reduce your hoard. I will put these to immediate use. 

 photo via Hoarder Rehab
Dixon Executive 1408-2 wood pencils, available here
other vintage pencils and pencil related items here

So happy to hear these are being used immediately!  So unlike me, since I had them stored away for over 20 years!  I use pens more often than pencils and have been using the same 3-6 pencils for as long as I can remember.

 photo via Hoarder Rehab
Dixon Executive 1408-2 wood pencils, available here
other vintage pencils and pencil related items here

Saying Goodbye:  So happy these have found a new home and hope all the rest of my pencils from my teaching days and my favorite pencils from my pencil collections do also!

What I learned:

1.  I've always wondered about pencil lead and lead poisoning and from what I've read it's the outer coating of paint that caused the lead poisoning from back in the day.  

Although lead has not been used for writing since antiquity, lead poisoning from pencils was not uncommon. Until the middle of the 20th century the paint used for the outer coating could contain high concentrations of lead, and this could be ingested when the pencil was sucked or chewed.---wikipedia

2.  Some notable pencil pushers! from wikipedia

--- John Steinbeck was an obsessive pencil user and is said to have used as many as 60 a day. His novel East of Eden took more than 300 pencils to write
--- Roald Dahl used only pencils with yellow casing to write his books. He had 6 sharpened pencils ready at the beginning of each day and only when all 6 pencils became unusable did he resharpen them
--- Thomas Edison had his pencils specially made by Eagle Pencil. Each pencil was three inches long, was thicker than standard pencils and had softer graphite than was normally available.
--- Vladimir Nobokov rewrote everything he had ever published, usually several times, by pencil.
--- Johnny Carson regularly played with pencils at his Tonight Show desk. These pencils were specially made with erasers at both ends to avoid on-set accidents

3.  I tend to use pens over pencils.  What about you?

 photo via Hoarder Rehab
My Teacher Loves Me pencils, available here

Thank you Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab for leaving me a story to help me with mine and helping me stay focused on my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things

Thank you Etsy for helping me find new lives and homes for over 755+ hoarded items and for bringing me closer to my dreams of a dehoarded life, mind, home and truck!

Thank you US, China, Russia, France, Ukraine, Luxembourg, UK, Canada, Germany, Malaysia, Switzerland, Croatia, Hungary and many other countries supporting me and my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things

photo via Hoarder Rehab
90s Panasonic KP 110 auto stop electric pencil sharpener here 
What teacher doesn't love an electric pencil sharpener with auto stop?  
and how many third graders love to sharpen their pencils to stubs?

My NEW GOAL is to have 175 items listed on each shop and two have been met at The Destiny of Things and Hoarder Rehab, so I'll be listing at least 1 new item daily on each shop five days a week!

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 181 items ,  The Destiny of Things-194 items , VintageToGoEasy - 173 items and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy - 159 items!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!
 
Related Stories:


"You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be."  Marianne Williamson

2 comments:

  1. I almost always use a black pen due to long time work requirements but I prefer colored pens. It seems that pencils don't write very dark anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pen user over pencil! Thank you for answering back! Your comments and visits are much appreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete