Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Vintage 80s Eraser Box with Fruit Erasers: The Destiny of Things Story 212

Vintage 80s Eraser Box with Fruit Erasers:  The Destiny of Things Story 212

First the all strawberry erasers sold and three days later the rest, including the box!

photo via VintageToGoEasy
vintage 80s mini erasers in classic shapes,
 like shooting star, hearts, smiley faces here
 
So I received an email from an Etsy buyer and guess what?  They were more interested in the box than the watermelon and grape erasers!  All the strawberry erasers had sold a few days earlier to someone else throwing a strawberry themed party right after this photo was taken and then the box with the erasers were ordered and gone!

And they both shared a story!  The strawberry eraser story is here.  Since I don't do well when my hoard leaves to quickly, I took a chance and asked for a story:

Hi!

It's been reserved for you.

As a recovering hoarder, I am curious about the story behind your purchase and am collecting these stories instead of my more things, for my Hoarder Rehab Blog. Are you a teacher? party favors? I will leave you anonymous if you wish to share with me. Thank you for your consideration.

Many think there story isn't interesting, but your story will help me with mine!

Thank you and kindest regards,
Kennedy
www.etsy.com/shop/HoarderRehab
www.etsy.com/shop/thedestinyofthings
www.etsy.com/shop/vintagetogoeasy
www.etsy.com/shop/JunkDrawerLoveEtsy
hoarderrehab@gmail.com

Read 200+ stories from Etsy buyers who help me stay focused on my HoarderRehab!

hoarderrehab.blogspot.com

photo via VintageToGoEasy
vintage 80s mini erasers in classic shapes,
 like shooting star, hearts, smiley faces here
 
Here's the email story:
 
Hi Kennedy!

I will be happy to share my story. I am a collector of 80's mini stationery items, mostly Snoopy ones made by Butterfly Originals, but also erasers (particularly fruit ones!) and other mini notebooks, pencils, etc. from the 80's. I have always been a collector (and yes, a hoarder, too!) and kept all the items I had as a child in the 80's. When ebay came along I started buying more! I collect many, many other things, too.

I am a graphic designer by profession. Somewhere I read that graphic designers are almost always collectors, as well, and I have certainly seen this to be true. The many items I have collected serve as inspiration for my design work and make me happy as I look at them while I work. :)

Hope that helps! Let me know if you want me to re-write this on your blog, or if you need more details. I guess I would prefer to remain anonymous.

I am going to purchase the erasers/box right now! Thank you so much for setting up the listing for me!

photo via VintageToGoEasy
vintage 80s mini erasers in classic shapes,
 like shooting star, hearts, smiley faces here
 
How interesting is that?  An all 80s collector!  I've never thought about collecting from only one time period! I would love to be a fly on the wall in her studio!  I would love to know and see which pieces are the most inspiring and see her work that matches up with each inspiration! 
 
I have so much fun with inspiration me that quite frankly I don't get much work done!  Did I just say that?  Well, it's true and I must work on having one inspiration after another and being so full of ideas I can't decided which ones to focus on!  That is today's hoarder insight from someone's story to help me with mine!   Thank you Etsy buyer!

photo via VintageToGoEasy
 
Saying Goodbye:  I am thankful these went to a home that inspires a graphic designer daily because they were just stored in a box in my home. Oh my I just added up how many years they've been stored away and it's 30 years.

What I Learned:

1.  When I told a new friend that I was a recovering hoarder and wasn't focusing on my art because I couldn't find many of the textiles to finish what I started because they are in boxes lost in my hoard.  She asked me if dehoarding was like a tangible journal of my life story.  

Instead of words to express myself in a diary, if perhaps my hoard is like some huge kind of mixed media art collage type time capsule of my life!  And I think she's right, it's like a big huge "out of control" time capsule of my life and instead of a box buried in celebration to open at a later date, mine is a house full of boxes which I think have been randomly saved, but perhaps not!
 
2.  I'm now inspired to list more of boxes from my 80s teaching days, especially the ones with the pop up window.
 
3.  Now that I realize that not only does my hoard tell the story of my life like a tangible journal, but too much of everything inspires me and sparks several creative projects at once with each new idea falling like an endless set of dominoes, what to do about it?

If you were to bury your own time capsule of your life, what would be in it? and how big would your box be? I'd hope mine would fit in a small box, like the one in Amelie, but I highly doubt it.  What a chuckle!

The mysterious box Amelie finds in her apartment from the tenant before her and she makes
it her mission to return it to the owner and thus begins the chain reaction of changing, not only this stranger's life, but many others, including her own.
photo via madovermad
 
Thank you Etsy buyer from VintageToGoEasy for your story because it's helped me realize issues I have with mine!  Now what to do about them!  Hmm....

Thank you Etsy for helping release over 750 items of my hoard back into the world and helping me find ways to lessen my cluttered life and reach my goal of a Minimalist Organic home with a music art room!
 
Thank you Moldova, US, Canada, Germany, China, Luxembourg, Australia, Ukraine and many others for supporting me and my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things

My NEW GOAL is to have 175 items listed on each shop and two have been met at The Destiny of Things and Hoarder Rehab, so I'll be listing at least 1 new item daily on each shop five days a week!

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 177 items ,  The Destiny of Things-193 items , VintageToGoEasy - 169 items and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy - 154 items!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!
 
photo via VintageToGoEasy
vintage 80s mini erasers, available here

Related Stories:

1.  Vintage and New Kawaii Strawberry Erasers, here

2.  Tiny 80s - 90s erasers from Taiwan for 30th Birthday 80s themed party, here
 
3.   Here is a link to a Time Capsule Century Chest from 1913, opened and on exhibit 100 years later, see some of it online here and/or read a letter from the chest to their future descendents, here
 
"It's the job never started that takes longest to finish."---JRR Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment