Saturday, June 14, 2014

Yardley of London Invisible Talc Tin: The Destiny of Things, Story 210

Yardley of London Invisible Talc Tin:  The Destiny of Things, Story 210

Someone sent a story with an update photo!

photo via Hoarder Rehab
This was part of my perfume collection I started in childhood
the last of my mini perfume collection available here

Here is the email with update photo of it in it's new home!

Great Piece for my shaving ritual. Notice the matching badger hair brush handle w talc! Thanks

I so love and appreciate reading about and seeing my hoarded items in their new homes!  Thank you Etsy buyer for taking the time to arrange and send me a photo!  It looks wonderfully handsome as part of your shaving ritual!

photo via Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab

The Invisible Talc does match nicely with the matching badger hair brush handle.  I've always loved this 10 sided container with it's contrasting silver and brass colors.

As a teacher, I was always on the look out for multi sided items to share in class as realia, especially when studying geometry.  This was a perfect example of decagon to show in everyday life and daily use.

Other things, I have with multiple sides are nonagon Japanese tea cups.  The Japanese favor odd numbers, so these 5 tea cups with 9 sides would be a significant detail as a Japanese gift.  I can't even imagine how these might have been created.

photo via VintageToGoEasy
9 sided or nonagon tea cups, available here

The last thing is this antique purple 11 sided or hen-decagon bottle shaker I recently acquired with some purple bottles I needed for my bottle collection.  (More about adding to my collections later!)  

photo via VintageToGoEasy
11 sided hen-decagon shaker, available here

Last of lastly, if you are a teacher, home school parent, or kite lover, here is an easy "tetrahedron" kite to make from stuff you may have laying around the house, namely straws, tissue paper and light string.

Also you only need one tetrahedron to fly, so it's a quick lesson to make in a day and they can try out at recess, but connecting 4 tetrahedrons gives students more motivation to practice making and studying them!

photo via blog, MyBestKite.com, here
Tim explains it's mathematical uniqueness

Also, here is step by step teacher directions here 
in the manner I taught it to my third graders
and as side note, a good way to introduce various knot ties
Source: http://ford.berea.k12.oh.us/Kitewebpage/Tetra.html

When students become proficient, they can take home kits for optional or extra credit and make more cells
to make one huge gigantic 8 to 16 tetraheddron cell classroom kite!
Yes, some of my classes opted to make one this big!

This also makes a good rainy day activity in anticipation of better weather days!
Youtube how to here

photo via Hoarder Rehab
This was part of my perfume collection I started in childhood
the last of my mini perfume collection available here

This was part of my perfume collection I started from childhood and is one of my favorite pieces because it looks good with anything! It's the best ever display piece. I was attracted to it's engraving, "By Appointment Purveyors of Soap To The Late King George VI Yardley London" and UK Lion Unicorn coat of arms that reads: Dieu, Et Mon, Droit , which is the motto of the British Monarch in England.

The royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom! Dieu, Et Mon, Droit literally means, "God and my right", and is said to be first adopted motto of England by King Henry V in the 15th century. Okay, that was a lot of info, but that's why I bought this item for the unicorn and lion.

photo via Hoarder Rehab
This was part of my perfume collection I started in childhood
the last of my mini perfume collection available here

Saying Goodbye:  That certainly was a round about adventure from the mind of a recovering hoarder!  This looked great on my curio cabinet that held all my perfumes.  And as a recovering hoarder, I did count them and I have about 45-50 perfume bottles in my collection and my Mom has the other half!

Over 30 have sold with about 15 remaining here, not counting the ones with my Mom!

Here is my perfume collection re-enactment with my curio cabinet:

photo via The Destiny of Things
The rest of my mini perfume collection, available here

What I Learned:

1.  There were a lot of memories buried in the Yardley of London Invisible Talc.  I bought this thriftng with one of my good friends, who knew the hours for thrift stores that were open from 8 am and closed at 10 pm.  He knew all the thrift stores from Orange County to Los Angeles and everything in between including small cities with Mom and Pop shops, like Compton, Alameda, Huntington Park, El Sereno and Santa Ana.  

He even knew of an outdoor indoor thrift shop that was more like a huge junkyard with large trough like bins and sold by the pound! and it was 10 cents per pound!  It was an experience, we'd find purses full with things, even money in the wallets, like someone lost their purse in there!  Jewelry boxes with remnant jewelry in it.  Those were the days!

Talk about shop til you drop!  He was a good friend and I do miss those days!  However I am torn because I don't need any more things and thrifting with him was a never ending cycle!

What's the oddest thrift store memory you have?  Mine is definitely the "10 cent by the pound" thrift store.  Once he found a money belt with a hundred in it and we spent it thrifting and eating!

Thank you Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab for sending an update photo of my your our Yardley of London Invisible Talc in it's new life and home and making my Hoarder Rehab so much more fun and for helping bring back memories and insight as to the attributes contributing to my hoarding ways! 

 photo via Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab

Thank you Etsy for you help and especially for your latest blog article on "What Etsy Sellers Should Know About the European Unions New Online Selling Regulations," since we are testing out how to expand our market by starting to ship internationally.  These new regulations for EU start today and it is quite a lot of information for online buyers and sellers.

Thank you US, China, Slovenia, Canada, UK, Ireland, India, Italy, Luxembourg, Poland and other countries for your supporting my HoarderRehab: The Destiny of Things!

Related Stories:  More stories from my perfume collection!

1.  Perfume is like time traveling, one whiff and who knows where it will take you.  Read about My Must de Cartier Perfume from France and where it took me and Karen and who knows who else when she wears it!

2.  Next week, I'll write about My Benetton Tribu perfume from an Etsy buyer from he Destiny of things!  Read it here.

Most Read Story of the Week:  My Louis Vuitton Collection Update:  80s LV Eyeglass Case:  The Destiny of Things, Story LXXIV, here

Most Read Story of the Month Eye Bombing with Googly Eyes:  The Destiny of Things, Story 200 

Most All Time Read StoryMy Louis Vuitton Collection the end of mine for the beginning of someone else.  The last piece of my LV collection, my 80s LV gold cornered wallet is available here at The Destiny of Things!   

“I have found the very best way to advise your children is to find out what they want to do and advise them to do it.” – President Harry Truman

Happy Father's Day!!! 

2 comments:

  1. I have taken a picture of the kite making website and maybe i will try to make one for some granddaughter fun. I can do it if a 3rd grade student can! I am inspired by your stories and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your visits and comments! Let me know if you need any help with the kites! It's so much fun! Both making and flying!

    ReplyDelete