Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Fortune Teller Cards for Burning Man: The Destiny of Things, Story 352

Fortune Teller Cards for Burning Man:  The Destiny of Things, Story 352

Passing these out as little mementos at Burning Man last August!

One stack of about 500 fortune teller card slips for Twilight Zone party fans, Swami, Madame X penny napkin dispenser or for passing out at Burning Man! 
Available here.  Photo via Hoarder Rehab

Here is the fantastic email I received!

HI! I bought your fortunes on ETSY in August.

You included some trinkets and a penny and a little note that i did not see until later on... iIve had the note with me meaning to email you. So sorry for the delay.

I bought these fortunes for Burning Man. They were my gift to all I encountered on the playa. The theme was Carnival of Mirrors and I felt this was an appropriate gifting idea. I wanted to share something old, with someone new and give a new fortune to each person I met and let them create there own destiny at BM.

I had a great time and these were an awesome gift to bring with me. I also included some of your trinkets in the making of my costumes and decorations. A fun little treat I wasn't expecting. Will shop you again for BM. Thanks again!!!

All my best,
A

How fun!  I've been invited to Burning Man several times and think it would be an interesting experience because from photos I've seen, it reminds me of all the Mad Max movies, but I don't think I can tolerate any of the smoke due to allergies.  On good days, I can sometimes burn a candle for a bit without the smoke causing my allergies to flare up.  What a bummer!

 Each stack has approximately 500 fortunes in them.
There are 52 different fortune cards and each fortune is based around the symbols from a deck of cards with hearts, clubs, diamonds, spades, ace, kings, queen, jacks and all the rest of the numbers, as seen above, however from my experience some stacks don't sort out including all 52 to make a complete set.
Available here.  Photo via Hoarder Rehab

Here is my reply:

Hi!
Wow!  What an awesome story!  I have a friend who goes to Burning Man every year.  He does a fire show and juggles and dances with fire on stilts.  Your story is the closest I'll ever get to BM, since I have really bad allergies, especially to smoke!

I'd love to see your costume!  I can't believe you included some of my other goodies!  When I send the goodies out, I always hope someone will get inspired and have fun using them in some way, so thanks for letting me know that one of my dreams came true!

Your story has inspired me to start blogging again next week despite my sciatica pain I've had all this week because your story will be so fun to write about!
Thanks again and if you have a photo of your costume with the trinket decorations I'd love to see it!
Best to you too~
Kennedy

 The back of the fortune answer a "yes" or "no" question that one asks before you get one from the penny napkin dispenser that used to be in cafe diners.  It also has silly definition to build up your vocabulary!  but watch out, these are from the 50s and are not always politically correct, so one might have to do some explaining to children at the dinner table!  Available here.  Photo via Hoarder Rehab

Saying Goodbye:  I have my stack of these stashed away and complete sets too.  I used to have mine displayed between some float frames I have, but now some postage stamps are in it. 

Here is what a complete set of 52 looks like, each row includes one suit with 13 cards in each row, available here

What I Learned:

1.  Oh my, she went to Burning Man in August 2015 and wrote to me, October 2015 and I just refound it in my email today!  Yes, I could not sit down in a conventional chair due to my sciatica for over 4 months and fell behind with my blog postings.

2.  These have become more popular on our Etsy shops than I ever thought they would, but I think it was partly since Twilight Zone parties were trending for awhile.

Here is a photo of William Shatner in The Twilight Zone episode, Nick of Time, Season 2, Episode 43.  I think you can still watch it on youtube.
Notice the Swami Fortune Teller napkin dispenser.  Ask your "yes" or "no" question, dispense a penny and your fortune will be told!

3.   The 500 replacement fortune card stacks are quite popular now for those having wedding fortune teller entertainment or as table confetti decor.

4.  I hope I can catch up with all my blog posting that are piling up into a hoard!  I've been wanting to blog post daily, but I haven't been able to make time for it yet.  The only solution I can for see if getting up at 3 am!

Choose a amount for 10, 30, 50 or 100+ in random counts, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

Thank you Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab for saving my note to to you until you had the time to email me with your fun story!  I am so happy you did and don't mind the delay one bit!  Maybe at next year's Burning Man, these will fit with the theme!

  A fortune teller fish that tells you your love fortune by moving in your palm!
Choose an amount of 10 or more, available here

Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab ever!  And for all the kind people I'm meeting who are helping me indirectly and directly in so many ways with my Hoarder Rehab!

Thank you readers from all over the world who continue to support my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things by taking part with your visits!  Much appreciated!
 
  Replica of the Mystic Seer prop from the Twilight Zone episode, photo via Captain Toy.  Michael gives a thorough and enchanting review of it and there are many more photos to see.

This week's goal is making more art, like patches or blog posting more often to catch up on my back log.

I am so inspired from my last blog, Under the Sea Wedding Party Mermaid Drink Toppers:  The Destiny of Things, Story 351 and have plenty ideas in mind for some "Under the Sea" loteria art cards!

I've been keeping up with adding new listings when each shop sells an item, but daylight savings time has thrown off my sleep and my insomnia has returned and I have been making more time daily to try art, instead of window shopping!  
 
Hopefully the silver lining to lack of sleep motivates me to get up at 3 am because that seems to be about the only healthy solution to cure my insomnia.
 
Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 194 items, The Destiny of Things- 190 items, VintageToGoEasy - 200 items and JunkDrawerAndMore - 196 items 

Maybe you'll find something to adopt and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
 This is the kind of fortune napkin dispenser I remember using at cafe diners!
photo via EM Arcade History Index
 
Related Stories:
 
1.  Using these for a Fortune Teller Wedding Booth:  The Destiny of Things, Story 340 with an update photo!
 
2.  My first story about these fortune teller cards:  Ask Swami Fortune Teller Cards:  The Destiny of Things, Story #115  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Watch the promotional for the episode on youtube, here
 and the full episode on imbd, here
 
"You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone"---Opening narration of Seasons 4&5  

Thanks for stopping by and visiting my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things!

No comments:

Post a Comment