Monday, February 15, 2016

Fortune Teller Wedding Booth: The Destiny of Things, Story 340

Fortune Teller Wedding Booth:  The Destiny of Things, Story 340

How exciting!  A bride will be using these for some wedding reception fun!

Stack of 500 fortune teller slips, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

These are vintage originals used in Ask Swami and Madame X dispensers from cafe diners and also like the ones used on a episode of the Twilight Zone with William Shatner that involved an Ask Swami machine, but one particular stack will be used to pass out fortunes from a fortune teller in a fortune teller booth at an Etsy buyer's wedding!

And she sent me a photo of the booth!

photo via Etsy buyer from VintageToGoEasy

How cool is that!  She said her cousin is dressing up as a fortune teller and will be in this booth!  It looks like it's going to be a very fun wedding! 

Of course, I'd love to be a fly on the wall and watch all the guests as they get a fortune slip!

The front has a fortune to tell and there are over 52 different fortunes because I've notice that some of the aces have different versions.
Stack of 500 fortune teller slips, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

Saying Goodbye:  I have my own stash of these because when I first saw them, it reminded me of a diner my brother and I used to go to that had an Ask Swami napkin dispenser at every table!  It was a penny dispenser and I'd use all my pennies!

When I received my stacks of fortunes and found they were like a deck of playing cards, I had to sort them to see if there were actually 52 different fortunes and there were and more!  Some of the aces have 3-4 different versions of fortunes.

 The backs answer a "yes" or "no" question that you are supposed to Ask Swami or Madame X.  It also gives you a definition of a word or phrase.  These are from the 50s-60s, so some of the definitions would not be considered politically correct now.
A complete set of 52 fortune slips that include one of each suit, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab

What I Learned:

1.  Some of my favorite nostalgic hoard, in this case paper ephemera have become another one of our popular best sellers, especially for Twilight Zone parties and weddings.

2.  However all good things must come to an end and I only have  20 stacks left in stock and after that I don't think I'll be able to find anymore.

3.  I've used mine in many ways, for example to make a mini garland.  It's very simple and easy, just add these to a string because they have slit cut in the middle of the hole.  Also fun and easy gift tags, just tie a gift with twine and add one of these.  I also add one of these to my "thank you" packages because with the baby boomer generation it will bring back memories and to the younger generations make new ones.

4.  So far I'm doing well without having to buy anything, since I gave up buying things and sugar for Lent.  I give up sugar all the time and rarely eat sweets, except for maybe a piece of fruit, but this last Thanksgiving we found a gluten free organic pumpkin pie that was so good the crust tastes just like a Betty Crocker homemade crust, so we had one for Christmas and another for New Years!

And Valentine's we had gluten free organic brownies and for the Lunar New Year a gluten tolerant, however, not sure how much of it is organic lemon cake!  The lemon cake tastes a lot like the Poppy seed cake my Grandmother used to make when we were kids.  I do at least only frost it all with sugarless creme fraiche.

Need I say more?  Now if I can just find a gluten free organic chocolate biscotti!

Here is a sample of my "thank you" package.  It has several fortune teller items in it because every time an listed items finds a new home I know I am one item closer to a dehoarded life, home, truck and mind! and wonder what will my fortune hold without hoard in it!  And this is my little thank you, available here

Thank you Etsy buyer from VintageToGoEasy for the short note and fun photo!  I wonder if your cousin will be looking like this:

 photo via Google

Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab ever!  And for all the kind people I'm meeting who are helping me indirectly and directly with my Hoarder Rehab!
Thank you readers from all over the world who continue to support my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things by taking part with your visits!  Much appreciated!

 Here is what a complete set of 52, available here

I've almost reached my goal of adding new items weekly to each shop until I have 800 of my dehoard listed that will be 200 items listed at each shop!  I'll be up early tomorrow morning listing away!

 
JUST 4 more items to list before I reach my goal!  Yippee!
 
Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 200 items, The Destiny of Things- 191 items, VintageToGoEasy - 203 items and JunkDrawerAndMore - 203 items!    

Maybe you'll find something to adopt and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
 If you need small amounts from 6 to 25+ random mix, it's available here
 
Related Stories:  
 
1.  If you want to see the Swami dispenser machine, the really cool Twilight Zone dispenser from the episode with William Shatner, which the machine was called, the Mystic Seer:  500 Replacement Fortune Teller Cards for Madame X Penny Napkin Dispenser Machine:  The Destiny of Things, Story 298

 
3.  My first story about these fortune teller cards:  Ask Swami Fortune Teller Cards:  The Destiny of Things, Story #115 
 
4.  Fun childhood memories from an Etsy buyer:  Madame X Fortune Teller and Parakeets:  The Destiny of Things, Story #149  
 
 

7.  Twilight Zone Fortune Cards as Mail Art:  The Destiny of Things, Story 229

 Another wedding and party favor favorite!  Fortune fish, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab

"Every man is the architect of his own fortune."--- Sallust 86 – c. 35 BC, was a Roman historian, politician, and novus homo from a provincial plebeian family.

No comments:

Post a Comment