Friday, March 13, 2015

Old Style Moving Mechanical Date Stamper: The Destiny of Things, Story 283

Old Style Moving Mechanical Date Stamper:  The Destiny of Things, Story 283

I am thankful when something simple can make someone's day a little nicer!

Old school mechanical date stamper available here

All rubber stamps have my stamp of approval!  And although this one isn't my most loved one, it's my most used one!  I think almost any teacher will agree that when grading papers, no names and no dates after one reminder after another can get quite tedious!

This little date stamper is one of the best reminders I've ever used and it's easy on the classroom voice reminder.  I would just pass this around from the first day of school with a small ink pad and students would get a kick out of using it as part of their heading.

My heading was three lines, first was their name with their secret number circled and then below their name the date and below the date,  the subject(s).  I'd pass out or have the monitor pass out the date stamper and ink pad for students to use as a reminder or until they got tired of using it or until the whole class would remember their name and date!  Believe me, if I or the date monitor forgot, there would be the one person who loves to stamp their little heart out to remind us!

Side note about secret numbers:  Their secret number was basically their last name in numerical order alphabetized.  It makes record keeping in a record book a whole lot easier and is such a time saver!  Plus a teacher helper can just put the most important papers to be graded first in order for you by everyone's secret number and keep a record on a small note of whose papers are missing for that assignment.

So now even, if you did not want to know why this is my most used rubber stamp, now you do!

Old school mechanical date stamper available here

Anyways, an Etsy buyer sent me a little note about her date stamper that made my day!  Here it is:

Exactly what I was expecting and then some with special extras that made my day, thank you so much! Will be using the stamp for whatever my heart desires, love the look of it. :) 

I like the look of this date stamper too.  It's more unusual than most because of the order it gives the date.  This one gives the day date first, then the month and lastly the year.  And I like that the month is all in capital lettering.

Also even though I know I am not a lone stamping lover soul when it comes to stamping my heart out!  It is just so fun to hear that someone else loves to stamp whatever their heart desires too!  After teaching, I even became a notary because I love to stamp so much!  I do just love those self inking stamps!

And as a teacher I had a whole bunch of self inking stamps as checklists for students to self grade and for myself for grading student papers, especially for the writing process, like, name, date, check spelling with a dictionary, re edit, parent signature, and on and on.

Please excuse me if I keep going off topic and on and on about my teaching days today because not only is my mind a little not grounded due to an allergy reaction to something I can't figure out yet, but I have insomnia and haven't slept well in a couple weeks.

Old school mechanical date stamper available here

So let me get back to what the kind Etsy buyer said about the special extras.  I am so happy when an Etsy buyers comments on my little extras because every time a "hoarded" item leaves to their new life and home I make a little "thank you" package as a reminder to myself that I'm headed into an unknown future and one day will be without hoard!

I try to use things that remind me of an unknown future, like good luck symbols and fortune ephemera and such.  Things I love, like stickers!

Here is an example:

20+ fortune ephemera lot available here

The 20+ fortune ephemera lot above doesn't change, except I usually add more things but my "thank you" package does change over time, but some things stay the same, like the Magic Fortune Teller Fish, fortune cookie fortune slip, loteria game of chance cards and lucky penny.

Depending what I have sometimes, small kawaii cute erasers as a reminder that I can do my best to correct and erase any mistakes and right now lucky raffle tickets in green and shamrocks for St. Patrick's day!

Each shop has a 20+ fortune ephemera grab bag lot, but with slightly different things, usually the loteria cards or cigar band or temporary mustache tattoo.  I try to keep them as close to photo as possible, but many have sold, so it's not always easy keeping them "exactly" the same.

See VintageToGoEasy's 20+ fortune ephemera lot here, Hoarder Rehab's here and The Destiny of Things, here or just order something from any of our shops and see what you get!

Old school mechanical date stamper available here

Saying Goodbye:  I used to hoard these!  I had one date stamper for my classroom for 10 years and once it ran out I didn't find another one until years later!  So after that I had one for the date monitor, one for my desk, some at educational centers, one in the filing cabinet for permission slips, like field trip slips, one at home for grading, several to give as gifts to students who liked to play school at home and to give to other teachers as a small surprise.

Oh my, I am thankful those days are over!  Now I just use it for my art, which I've been forgetting to do!

What I Learned:

1.  Some of my hoarded items have become popular on my Etsy shops and as long as I can still find them, I'll keep them listed.  I would have never thought in a million years that would have ever happened!

2.  Many others like the look of these too and use them for their art, like scrapbooking.  Many teachers have ordered these to use, specifically one kindergarten teacher and another for office use at a medical billing office, some for weddings, like save the date.

Date stamped washi tape art, available here

Thank you Etsy buyer from JunkDrawerAndMore for making my day too by sending your little note!  It's so nice to find simple common ground with a non hoarder!
 
Thank you Etsy for your continued support by finding new lives for my popular hoard.  Never thought some of my most used teacher supplies would become popular or used so much for other things !  Thanks for making my Hoarder Rehab the best outlet and therapy ever! 
 
Thank you readers from all over the world for supporting my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things !  Your visits are much appreciated!
 
Date stamped washi tape art, available here

My new dehoarding goal is to list something new daily or weekly at each shop until I reach 205 at all four shops!  I have reached my new goal, so far at two shops! 
 
Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily or weekly: HoarderRehab with 205 items, The Destiny of Things- 204 items, VintageToGoEasy - 204 items and now JunkDrawerAndMore - 205 items!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
Date stamped washi tape art, available here

Related Stories:

1.  Saving time for a kindergarten teacher:  Teacher Date Stamper:  The Destiny of Things, Story #109




"Nothing brings you peace, but the triumph of principles."  Boyd Crowder from Justified quoting Ralph Waldo Emerson.

No comments:

Post a Comment