Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Float Frame for Pressed Flower Art Display: The Destiny of Things, Story 285

Float Frame for Pressed Flower Art Display:  The Destiny of Things, Story 285

Another "best seller" from our Etsy shops!

Smaller float frame in faux oak, available here
Larger float frame :SOLD OUT

I used to have these in two different sizes and in faux oak, pine and mahogany, but now we are down to only the small float frames in faux oak.

I've been collecting these float frames little by little over the years.  I first used them to display my pressed flower art cards from years ago, so that is how I first listed them as a pressed flower craft frame.  So I was so thankful when I received this note!

Perfect for my pressed flowers! So easy to slide out of the frame, easily opens like a book and then slides right back into the frame. Seller is so nice and funny! Sent a little note and goody bag. 

How fun!  Someone used my idea and let me know about it!  Thank you Etsy buyer!

I have been pressing flowers since my Grandmother taught me how since I was a child.  If we had wax paper we'd put some flowers in between a small folded sheet and flatten it in between the pages of her dictionaryIf we didn't have wax paper it went straight into the dictionary anyway!

Then on my next visit, we'd check the dictionary and use toothpicks to put water downed Elmer's glue to the back side of the flowers and glue them on to little notes.  It's amazing how one little stemmed flower can take on a personality of it's own! or adding a few of it's friends could make a simple garden arrangement.

I would have had a grand time arranging and then rearranging my pressed flowers in a float frame as a child!

Smaller float frame in faux oak, available here
Larger float frame :SOLD OUT

Now I use these in my art because it's so easy to change out photos, notes, art, pressed flowero or anything flat in these frames just to see how it's going to look framed.  Almost anything looks better framed!

I often gave these away as gifts too with either a piece of art someone admired in it or a photo taken of them from a special occasion we shared together.

These are very simple easy to use wooden glass frames and as you can see in the photo below the tape that holds the two pieces of glass together is the first to go!  I just keep using the tape until it splits so much it's no longer useful and then use washi tape to hold it together.

Smaller float frame in faux oak, available here
Larger float frame :SOLD OUT

I have gotten large quantity requests for the larger float frames for weddings and even from a school for graduation photos, but unfortunately these are from my own hoard collection from saving them over the years and I'm down to my last one! in the larger size.  There are few left in the smaller size.

I thought I had one more box of these lost in my hoard too and I've been looking for it off and on since November, but I can't seem to find it.

The photo below is a good example of the two different sizes and how it can be used as a standing frame vertically or horizontally.

To get an idea of the sizes, the smaller frames hold a holy prayer cards well and the larger frame a 4x6 photo.

Smaller float frame in faux oak, available here
Larger float frame :SOLD OUT

Saying Goodbye:  I have my own stash of the smaller ones put aside, but I only kept one larger sized float frame because I thought I had another hoarded box of them somewhere!  

What I Learned:

1.  This is a case where my hoard worked out well for me!  These float frames were one of our best sellers!  If only I can find the other box of them.  

2.  I do have my fair share of other frames too!  So next time I find that box, I'll start listing them too!  They are probably vintage by now!

 Front side of my
reversible mixed media collage art in four series with
a typed Marilyn Monroe quote, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab

Thank you Etsy buyer for sending me a message with your back story!  I love it and a special thank you for your story because it brought back such sweet childhood memories with my Grandmother and gave me some ideas on which flowers I'd like to press this spring again!
 
Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab outlet ever!  I can't thank you enough!  I have gotten rid of my hoard several times and it always boomerangs back, like a bad fad diet!  and it's so disheartening when I end up with more hoard than the last purge!  I am confident that it's not going to happen this time around! 
 
Thank you all readers who have stopped by to visit my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!
 
 Back side of my
reversible mixed media collage art in four series with
a typed Marilyn Monroe quote, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab

My new dehoarding goal is to list something new daily or weekly at each shop until I reach 205 at all four shops!  I "had" reached my new goal as of yesterday!  Either some listings have expired or sold.
 
Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily or weekly: HoarderRehab with 204 items, The Destiny of Things- 205 items, VintageToGoEasy - 205 items and now JunkDrawerAndMore - 204 items!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
 photo via Hoarder Rehab
The art of pressed flowers in Japanese is "oshibana"
and for those that want to see how much more fun and involved it can be
check out this book, available here

Related Stories:

 

More pressed flower art ideas besides note cards
check out this Japanese oshibana craft book, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab 
 
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." ---Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment