Friday, September 26, 2014

DIY Mixed Sized Doily Garland Weding Celebration: The Destiny of Things, Story, 246

DIY Mixed Size Doily Garland Wedding Celebration:  The Destiny of Things, Story, 246

Wow, an Etsy buyer sent a photo of her four tier garland, so beautiful!  From this to....

photo via The Destiny of Things
mixed size off white doilies available here

I have loved doilies since childhood!  It started in kindergarten making my first Valentine cards for everyone in class!  They were last minute and my mom only had about 5 doilies left in the junk drawer and about 3 sheets of red construction paper.  I wanted to make 5 cards for my favorite friends, but my mom insisted that if I was going to pass out even one card, I had to give one to everyone in class!

The doilies and construction paper went along way and nonetheless I made a card for everyone, even if they were on the small side and not like anything fancy like I had imagined!

I think the other reason why I love doilies is because Grandmother used them to hand out cookie treats at the table and for bento lunches.  Nothing like having tempura bento box with a doily as a grease catcher!

Anyways, out of the blue an Etsy buyer sent this photo of how she used her doilies!

THIS!
photo via Etsy buyer from The Destiny of Things
mixed size off white doilies available here

I love all the mixed sizes and the creative aspect of putting letters in the center of each doily to say something endearing.  I especially love the way the photos were used in the centers also that accent the bottom tier.  So simple and beautifully unique.

This could be used to spell out any type of themed party!  If you are interested in making one yourself I do have everything from the twine to the clothes pins (mini or colors or with cute bees), even streamers in pink or orange and teal!  And of course the mixed size doilies!

Thank you Etsy buyer for sharing your beautiful creative garland to give me and others such great ideas to use and build on!

What is your favorite way to use doilies?

photo via The Destiny of Things
mixed size off white doilies available here

Saying Goodbye:  I think I know how I ended up so many doilies and have learned something new about my hoarding habits!  So I'm happy and thankful when an order of doilies leave now!  And to think they are going to new lives in such beautiful projects! Yipee!

What I Learned:

1.  Many of items I love and use in my art seem to be expensive to me, like doilies, so I end up buying in bulk to cut down on costs and one thing snowballs into the next because I really don't know which size doily I'm going to use or how I'm going to use it.  I find that I use the small round doily in the photo and the small red heart doilies and none of the others.  Lesson learned!  I hope....

2.  I also probably spend a lot more money and time shopping for deals in the long run than I do creating.

3.  Since my insomnia is back, I have also noticed that I do a whole lot more window shopping now and I think it's one of the main ways I try to keep myself awake during the day, especially when I have finished my bare minimum duties for the day and am even too tired to watch a movie.

I've tried taking naps during the day and I'll be up all night trying to get to sleep.  I have tried hundreds of different ways to cure my insomnia since I've had it since childhood and the only thing that seems to work consistently is getting up everyday at 3:30 am, so by 8 or 9 pm I crash.

These are my favorite doilies lately.
photo via The Destiny of Things, available here

Thank you Etsy buyer for sending me a photo update because I've gained so much insight about my hoarding habits and how I tend to shop around more with insomnia and how that leads to complications with my hoard!  No sleep equals less will power and no filter and who knows what else!

And I hope the couple in the phots have a happily ever after!

Thank you Etsy for another fun transaction with another happily ever after ending!  

Thank you US, France, Ukraine, Venezuela, Canada and other for stopping by and taking part in my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!   

My new goal is to list at least 200 items from my hoard on each shop by October for the Christmas season!  I've already met that goal at The Destiny of Things and Hoarder Rehab!  I'm going to try and list new hoard daily at each shop until I reach my new goal.

Click on the shop names to visit my new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 202 items, The Destiny of Things- 202 items , VintageToGoEasy - 190 items and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy - 181 items!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!

My favorite heart doily card.
photo via The Destiny of Things, available here

Related Stories:


2.  Small 3" Red Heart Doilies:  The Destiny of Things, Story 172:  Alice and Wonderland theme party

3.  Paper Lace Heart Doilies as Table Confetti and more, read about it here

4.  Loteria Cards as another Wedding Day craft, here



"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."  Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment