Monday, September 29, 2014

7 Year Copper Anniversary Religious 4 Way Scapular Cross: The Destiny of Things, Story 247

7 Year Copper Anniversary Religious Scapular Cross:  The Destiny of Things, Story 247

I received a surprise email today!

 photo via The Destiny of Things
an old copper Miraculous Mary medal available here

My most favorite religious artifacts are the scapular cloth, then glass, then plastic and Lucite religious medals, then the aluminum and copper ones and lastly the sterling or silver.

I started collecting religious medals in the 80s, but back then I liked them all and had no preferences and just bought as much as I could, even stickers and paper ephemera.  Now that I've sorted them I've discovered which ones I like most and it's usually the most unusual ones.

Old scapular cloth is very difficult to find affordably and plastic religious medals aren't as plentiful as one would think, especially the blue plastic ones, my most favorite!  Oh and I love the small tiny ones that used to be for wrist watches.

I love the old vintage prayer cards and embossed die cut scraps too!  So you can imagine the order in which I'm letting go of my religious artifacts!

I don't even know why I love them so much, except I do love the way they look.  There's just something about them....and I still collect them, but more sparingly.

Back to the story, this copper 4 way cross was bought for a 7 year anniversary gift....


photo via The Destiny of Things
an old copper Miraculous Mary medal available here

 And today I got an update about it because her husband love it and here is the email note:

Yesterday we celebrated Seven years - and, thanks to you, I gave my husband a very special gift. He truly loved the Medal - and, because he won't be wearing it around his neck, I tied a small piece of ribbon from my wedding bouquet through the top so he can keep it in his wallet.
I love giving unique gifts - thank you again for helping me do just that.

 P.S. The addition of the "copper" penny was such a sweet touch!

Getting notes like these really make my day and it's always such a relief to know that "something I love" found the right home and is loved in it's new life.

I really like the part of it being tied with some ribbon from her wedding bouquet while it's kept in his wallet.  It really touches me and is so heartfelt.  I wonder what how she preserved her bouquet and what it looks like now.  I wonder what else she saved from her wedding.  Seven years is a long time!


photo via The Destiny of Things
an old copper Miraculous Mary medal available here

Saying Goodbye:  I don't have a problem letting go of my religious artifacts, but I do have a problem in the sense that I keep buying religious items.  I have a better eye for what I like now.  I guess I am upgrading?

What I Learned:

1.  Although it's still a mystery to me as to why I collect almost anything vintage to antique religious, at least I know what which specific ones to collect and in the back of mind, even though I don't wear jewelry, I think it would be fun to create some jewelry assemblage art and/or mix it with some textile fiber art.

2.  As a sentimental recovering hoarder, this Etsy buyer has me thinking about how she decides what to save and what not to save because I tend to save everything!  and I save everything because it's all sentimental to me and I think it needs saving to be used in just the way that she made her gift more special for her husband.

It's as if I have no filter or decision making skills or over thinking skills when it comes down to sentimental saving of things!  I also seem to have difficulties with FOMO, fear of missing out!  Sometimes I'll be making something and know I saved the wrong thing!  ha!

Well, I have insomnia again, so now my thinking process is even more blurred, scattered, all over and slow!

How do you decide what to save and not to save of sentimental celebrations and milestones?  I really could use some various answers and solutions to my dilemma!

I love old scapular cloth like this but the uncut pieces
via google

Thank you Etsy buyer for sending me an update, it's always so good to hear how someone loved their gift and how it was made even more special.  And thank you for helping me give insight to my story and how my hoarding habits relate to my one of many collections!

Thank you Etsy for yet another win win happy transaction!

Thank you US, UK, China, Belarus, France, Hong Kong, India, Ukraine and many other for you continued support of my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!   

My new goal is to list at least 200 items from my hoard on each shop by October for the Christmas season!  I've already met that goal at The Destiny of Things and Hoarder Rehab!  I'm going to try and list new hoard daily at each shop until I reach my new goal.

Click on the shop names to visit my new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 204 items, The Destiny of Things- 203 items , VintageToGoEasy - 191 items and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy - 185 items!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
 I have many photos of these types from simple to fancy
that I'd like to eventually start making too!
photo via pinterest

Related Stories:

1.  The Destiny of Things:  Coincidental Sacred Heart Wedding Anniversary Stories X and XI : 2 copper anniversary stories that came about the same time.

 
3.  Copper Souvenir Bracelet from Chile:  The Destiny of Things, Story LIII  : a birthday gift for someone from a mining town.

4.  Update:  Anniversary Love Dice: The Destiny of Things, Story LVI, part 2 :  part of a fun and funny anniversary gift

"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." ---Pablo Picasso

No comments:

Post a Comment