Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Polymer Dragonfly Pendant: The Destiny of Things, Story 242

Polymer Dragonfly Pendant:  The Destiny of Things, Story 242

Sometimes a stranger can bring great meaning to your life!


An Etsy stranger has  become a good friend!  We met on Etsy almost a year ago and we have the same taste in all kinds of ways and she's been a repeat buyer several times.

She let me know that this little guy is going to be in one her creative projects, which I think was to incorporate into a mobile.  As a matter of fact, we both love mobiles too!  And when I admired one of hers from afar, she took it apart to share with me!


 Some interesting information on dragonflies and symbolism from wikipedia:

1. Dragonflies are the lil good guys and are important predators because they eat mainly mosquitoes and other small insects like gnats, flies, ants, wasps, and bees.

2. They themselves are subject to predation by birds, lizards, frogs, spiders, fish, water bugs, and even other large dragonflies.

3. 60 mph flight speed? Tillyard claimed to have recorded the Southern Giant Darner flying at nearly 60 miles per hour (97 km/h) in a rough field measurement.[8] However, the greatest reliable flight speed records are for other types of insects.[9] In general, large dragonflies like the hawkers have a maximum speed of 10–15 metres per second (22–34 mph) with average cruising speed of about 4.5 metres per second (10 mph)

3. In Japan, the dragonfly is a seasonal symbol associated with summer and early autumn. More generally, dragonflies are symbols of courage, strength, and happiness, and they often appear in art and literature, especially haiku.

The love for dragonflies is reflected by traditional (layman's) names for almost all of the 200 species of dragonflies found in and around Japan.

Japanese children catch large dragonflies as a game, using a hair with a small pebble tied to each end, which they throw into the air. The dragonfly mistakes the pebbles for prey, gets tangled in the hair, and is dragged to the ground by the weight.

Human-sized, prehistoric dragonfly nymphs called "Meganulon" appear in the 1956 film Rodan, based on the extinct species Meganeura. The main kaiju antagonist in the 2000 film Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is a variation of this fictional creature.


Saying Goodbye:  This little guy was easy peasy to let go, especially since I already knew where it was going and it's with a whole bunch of my other things.  I feel as though it's with a whole extended family of my stuff somewhere in Kansas!

And I've been reassured that I can see my stuff again if needed, which I used to think might be necessary since she has some of my treasured items from childhood!  No one has ever said that I could see my stuff or borrow it back for a day or two and it really helped me knowing that I had that option, but now I think I'm going to be fine hoard free!

What I Learned:

1.  I never know what items of my hoard are going to bring me together with someone and make my life more meaningful, usually it's a transaction that give me insight to why I hoard, but this time it brought me so much more!  I never thought I'd meet a good friend that I have so much in common with that supports me in many ways!  

What a brave new world to find to find someone, like a Bobbsey twin that's not a hoarder!  It brings me a lot of hope.

 Here is a photo of the mobile she was kind enough to share with me!

Thank you Etsy buyer from The Destiny of Things for sharing more than your story!  Your friendship, support and kindness has moved me and helped me in more ways than one towards staying on course with my Hoarder Rehab!

And when things go sour, down south or weird, you are always there to listen to me and help me out!  And of course, you are there for the best parts also, like celebrating small and large triumphs!  Thank you so much for everything!

Thank you Etsy for not only bringing me closer to my Hoarder Rehab goals and finding kind truthful meaning in many of my transactions, but for bringing some friends along too!  What a nice surprise!

Thank you US, France, Turkey, China, Canada for supporting in my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things! 

My new goal is to list at least 200 items from my hoard on each shop by October for the Christmas season!  I've already met that goal at The Destiny of Things!  I'm going to try and list new hoard daily at each shop until I reach my new goal.

Click on the shop names to visit my new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 193 items, The Destiny of Things- 201 items , VintageToGoEasy - 182 items and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy - 176 items!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!

Related Stories:



"Procrastinators UNITE!  Tomorrow..."

2 comments: