Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Chiyogami Yuzen Reversible Paper Sterling Hoop Earrings: The Destiny of Things, Story 245

Chiyogami Yuzen Reversible Paper Sterling Hoop Earrings:  The Destiny of Things, Story 245

I hope these made it to the UK on time!


photo via Hoarder Rehab
more from my Asia collection, here

Another "rush" order went to the United Kingdom!  I hope they made it there on time for an Etsy's daughter's graduation gift.

These heavy reversible earrings were a gift to myself and I thought they were really uniquely practical because the dangles are reversible and can be switched over from spring flowers to summer ones.  As a matter of fact, I thought these were so unique and practical that I bought a pair for my Mom and Aunt who's birthdays are close to mine.

I thought it would be fun, if we were all triplets for the day wearing our earrings!

photo via Hoarder Rehab
more from my Asia collection, here

I loved these unique drop earrings and wore them mainly on the red side with a navy cherry blossom dress I have for a subtle pop of color.  I wonder if I can find that dress now, it was my favorite "go to" teacher dress for times when I woke up late and had to get ready for work pronto.  I certainly don't miss my teacher clothes!

They were from the now defunct sister store of the Folk Tree in Pasadena, California at the same time I bought some of my favorite Native American bracelets.  Worn together they made such a pleasant bell sound.   I wish I could have kept those two!

dot to dot bracelet
photo via Hoarder Rehab
more of my Native American jewelry here

I had/have over 20 Native American bracelets in my collection and loved to wear them stacked, but wore them less and less when I gave up jewelry for Lent one year and then about six years ago I became allergic to almost everything and was bedridden sick.  After I recovered I waited over 3 years to become unallergic to sterling and I am still waiting!

However, I do miss the sound of these two worn together!

cloud bracelet
photo via Hoarder Rehab
more of my Native American jewelry here

This was a Tahe piece made by a family who makes beautiful Native American jewelry and of course, I started collecting their pieces!

Here is an example of how I liked to wear them stacked!
photo via Hoarder Rehab
more of my Native American jewelry here

I keep finding new pieces here and there and I know I have my Native American beads from childhood and some fetish necklaces still lost in my hoard!  The large coiled corn bracelet is my other Tahe bracelet and the story on that one is interesting because during one stressful time in my life, I was buying so much I didn't even bother to keep track of it.

I just made sure there was something on my door step when I came home from work DAILY! and on Saturdays two things and I saved one to open on Sunday!  I think I did this for three years because that's how long the stressful process took to get completed.

Well, I can see how my hoard started to pile up! 365 multiplied by 3 is 1095!  And that is only online buying during that period, it doesn't count thrifting, which I would do when I would get stressed too!

Anyways, years later the coiled corn bracelet showed up on my door step one day with a kind note from someone apologizing and explaining why they had never sent the bracelet I had ordered online. He had had a heart attack and was in the hospital for 3 months and took even longer to recover.

Long story shorter, he sent the huge Tahe coiled corn bracelet in place of the bracelet I had ordered because he said it was his first Pow wow bracelet and it had sentimental value for him and hoped that I would accept it happily.

The corn bracelet was huge, I think it weighed 81 grams and the bracelet I had ordered was similar to the cloud bracelet, which is also a Tahe piece that I wore with the dot to dot bracelet that I had found years later.

So since I didn't even remember ordering the cloud bracelet and even though the coiled corn bracelet was way to big for my wrist, I kept it and it eventually became a sentimental piece for me from this kind gesture and story from a recovering heart attack survivor.

photo via Hoarder Rehab
more from my Asia collection, here

Saying Goodbye:  At this moment in time, I have no problems with letting go of my jewelry because I am still allergic to sterling and 14k gold.  I will be listing more of my 14k gold jewelry soon!

What I Learned:

1.  Interestingly enough, I tried wearing some non metal jewelry awhile ago when some woven bracelets sold, so I kept some to wear.  I lasted less than five minutes wearing them because they felt heavy and in the way.  They are now listed again.

2.  I don't think I'll be wearing jewelry ever again, even if I ever become unallergic to sterling and/or gold because I just don't like the way it feels now.  Jewelry feels cumbersome, even the light woven bracelets and just seems to get in my way some how.

3.  Oh well, once less thing to think about when I get dressed now!

4.  After writing this I can see one of the ways my hoard can get out of control!  

What kinds of things do you buy when you need retail therapy from long periods of overwhelming stress? or better yet, what healthy ways do you use to deal with it?

The light woven bracelets that I tried to wear, but would rather not 
bother with jewelry at this time.
photo via VintageToGoEasy, available here

Thank you Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab for your rush order that lead me to find out that these are going to be on some Graduate's ears!  I hope they become keepers!  Thanks again for your story because it's really been helpful to mine!

Thank you Etsy for being the best Hoarder Rehab outlet ever and for all the kind Etsy buyers who send me their stories that I share and gain insight from!

Thank you US, China, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, United Kingdom, Polalnd and others for taking the time to support my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!   

My new goal is to list at least 200 items from my hoard on each shop by October for the Christmas season!  I've already met that goal at The Destiny of Things and Hoarder Rehab!  I'm going to try and list new hoard daily at each shop until I reach my new goal.
Click on the shop names to visit my new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 202 items, The Destiny of Things- 202 items , VintageToGoEasy - 190 items and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy - 178 items!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!

Below is one of my favorite pieces and the only carinated bracelet in my collection...

Carinated pieces seem to be difficult to find 
photo via Hoarder Rehab, available here

Related Stories:


2.  Graduation Watch Replacement:  The Destiny of Things, Story LV :  An Etsy buyer needed pieces from my watch to make their Graduation gift from parents to work again!

3.  Hayward Fob Clip:  The Destiny of Things, Story C :  A post graduation gift for a college graduate!

Tidbit of info about Chiyogami and Yuzen that I have always wondered about until today:

Yuzen and Chiyogami - what's the difference?

Yuzen patterns were originally designed for the textile industry in Kyoto where the production of cloth for kimonos reached its zenith. Yuzen designs were very elaborate, and included a lot of gold.

Chiyogami is a specific word developed to describe the graphic, repetitive designs applied to paper in the Edo period. Originally these patterns were printed by woodblock for use in paper doll and small accessory making. In the twentieth century, these patterns began to be applied using silkscreens and this continues today.

Today, as Yuzen textile patterns join the traditional Chiyogami ones on paper, both terms are used interchangeably. We have chosen “Chiyogami” simply because it was the term originally created to refer to paper (-gami means paper).

"I am not a hoarder, I just need a bigger room!"---when I dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment