Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Empire State Building 3D Puzzle: The Destiny of Things, Story 236

Empire State Building 3D Puzzle:  The Destiny of Things, Story 236

I love the Empire State Building!

photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy
Statue of Liberty 3D puzzle like this one, available here

I got a little message in "Note to Buyer" that this was a birthday gift and to send it ASAP!  So we did!  I would have loved to been the fly on the wall to see this assembled.  

photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy
Statue of Liberty 3D puzzle like this one, available here

I have several of these, also the Eiffel Tower and seem to like the idea of seeing this puzzle completed, rather than completing it myself!  I had envisioned myself putting it together while rewatching one of my favorite classics, King Kong!

However I have or had a lot of Empire State Building ephemera and souvenirs and decided to keep it down to one, my Empire State Building fluorescent lamp that glows in a blueish tone.  I don't have a good photo of it, but it's best seen here, way over to the right with King Kong at the top:

 photo via The Destiny of Things
Pink skirt from Japan available here
Early 1900s hand tooled purse with secret lock available here
The teak canisters are sold out.

I love to collect souvenirs and think it's because when we went on vacations it was one luxury we were allowed to splurge on and basically get anything our hearts desired without a monetary limit.  It was like getting an extra birthday present.

Also when our relatives went on vacation, mainly to visit relatives in Japan, they'd bring back some meibutsu or omiyage (in depth explaination on the blog, Hungry for Words: Mostly Japanese), or a little souvenir from their trip to share with everyone while they shared their adventures.

In Japan, souvenirs are usually products associated with a particular region; for example the latest souvenirs I have from relatives were candles from a famous candle maker region for shrines and the no evil monkeys carved from Japanese maple of Nikko. Travelers usually buy souvenirs as gifts for those who did not make the trip.

This is a huge tradition in my family and it can really start to escalate when relatives from Japan visit often because the gifts become more elaborate and expensive with each visit.

Many of the Japanese souvenirs from my childhood and later years have sold, but I still have many yet to part with, some may still be included here or were passed down to me.

photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy
 3D puzzle like this one, but the Statue of Liberty, available here

Saying Goodbye:   I did think about putting this together before I listed it, but when I thought about where I'd put it after I finished it, I knew there wasn't any room for it to be displayed properly and also it would be just another thing to dust!

I am thankful it went to someone who must love puzzles for their birthday and perhaps it was a family or father daughter birthday activity.  And perhaps King Kong was playing in the background too!

What I Learned:

1.  I unconsciously buy things thinking I'll have fun putting this 3D puzzle together because I love anything Empire State Building or perhaps some little ones I know will love assembling this while it helps their motor and spatial skills one rainy day.  Then we could make a diorama with it and on and on.

2.  Now I try to be a more conscious buyer and think things all the way through first, but since there is no more room for anything new in the house, except for under the bed.... I'm not supposed to be buying anything, so I haven't.

3.  As a recovering hoarder, it's easier being a conscious buyer without my usual stress triggers, so it seems I'll have smooth sailing now until the stress of the winter holidays comes around.  Only time will tell.

Do you like puzzles?  I do and as a family it was one of our past times.  My Grandmother always had one going on the formal dinner table and we'd sit with a pot of green tea putting them together while chit chatting or watching the news on television.

Maybe I keep buying them without putting them together because I miss those times....

photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy
 This one has less pieces and it says it's easy to assemble
Statue of Liberty 3D puzzle, available here

Thank you Etsy buyer from JunkDrawerLoveEtsy for sending your back story because it certainly helped me with mine! All the insight I gleaned is appreciated. I hope it was fun and cool looking when assembled for your Dad.

Thank you Etsy for your continued support towards my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!

Thank you US, Netherlands, Ukraine, China, Turkey, Germany, Canada, France, UK, Poland, Brazil, Indonesia, Russia and others for your visits and taking part in my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!

My new goal is to list at least 200 items from my hoard on each shop by December for the Christmas season!  I've already met that goal at The Destiny of Things!  I'm going to try and list new hoard daily at each shop until I reach my new goal.

Click on the shop names to visit my new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 188 items ,  The Destiny of Things- 200 items , VintageToGoEasy - 176 items and now JunkDrawerLove - 170 items!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!

 photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, available here
Simple food puzzles that are also erasers to introduce children to puzzles.
Example, the orange is 4 pieces, the shakes are 3 pieces and the doughnut is 2 pieces.

Related Stories:



3.  Native American Butterfly Money Clip:  The Destiny of Things, Story LXIX  : Souvenir that my Grandmother used daily from her travels.


5.  The Secret Cross: The Destiny of Things, Story XXVII  Souvenir from a Boston trip.



"What we hope to do ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence."---Samuel Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment