Friday, September 18, 2015

Vintage 48 Alphacolor Pastel Box Set, The Destiny of Things, Story 316

Vintage 48 Alphacolor Pastel Box Set, The Destiny of Things, Story 316

This is a destiny as infinity item!  From a childhood artist to a new one!

My last box of pastels.  Photo via The Destiny of Things
Not the same, but I do have this box of colored chalk, available here at JunkDrawerAndMore

I have had these since I  won them in a library art contest from the early 70s.  That is over 45 years! I'd find them every once in awhile in my hoard of hoards and think that one day I'd use them, but never did.

By the time I graduated from college and was in a classroom, it did pass my mind to use them on my classroom chalkboard when our school ran out of chalk and I would get desperate for any chalk to use, but then I'd read the little note inside the box and remember it's not chalkboard chalk.

Now they are going to used to make more scenery art for sunsets!  My "untold destiny" for them has come true!  Here is my destiny wish for them:

Untold Destiny: I hope these are used by any artist, adult or child, who loves the juxtaposition of contrasting colors and likes to spend endless amounts of time matching them up, inventing or doodling! And the art goes on to be saved and past on until the pastel art becomes an heirloom! May destiny as infinity be yours!

Some of my destiny wish has already come true and I think some more will because Herb is going to start sharing his art by making it available to others at a park in Coronado, California!

My last box of pastels.  Photo via The Destiny of Things
Not the same, but I do have this box of colored chalk, available here at JunkDrawerAndMore

I am so happy these are going to another artist!  And he sent me his story!

Note from Buyer:
The original price on my set was $3.79. from Kmart/Kreskies in Michigan. the set was well used and the price tag fell off about a year ago. I am anxious to have a complete set with the daytime fluorescent orange and pinks. again. I'm 56 and just now want to create more scenes with this set, mine is pretty ragged. thanks. nice return on your art award! Herb

How cools is that?  And he even sent me a photo of his pastel set!


photo via Herbert Rohde

I wrote him back:

Hi Herb aka tourguyherb!

Thank you so much for your order and especially for leaving me a story about how you've had your set just as long as I have had mine, but you actually used yours!

As a recovering hoarder, I wish you knew how happy I am knowing that my prized set is going to another artist! I'd love to see your art with the neon oranges and pinks from my our your set of pastels!

Your order will be carefully packaged and shipped out this Monday.

Many thanks!
Kennedy

And he sent me some art work showing using the neon oranges and pinks! So beautiful!  Thank you so much Herb!

 photo via Herbert Rohde

Scenes from Tecate peak.  It's so beautiful there!

 photo via Herbert Rohde

Herbert is due to be juried in by Coronado art association to sell in the park there.  So if you are ever down there, check out his works!

 This must have been created after he ran out of the neon pastels!  
Love this too!  Photo via Herbert Rohde

Saying Goodbye:  I must say that when I first saw that my childhood pastels had been sold I felt a twinge of panic, but when I looked at the order and saw the note to buyer story the panic turned to joy!  I couldn't believe my Untold Destiny came true for this listing!

If you look close enough I think you might see $13.15, but since this was an award I don't know how much it really was.  Photo via The Destiny of Things
Not the same, but I do have this box of colored chalk, available here at JunkDrawerAndMore

What I Learned: 

1.  As the years pass, it is getting easier and easier to let most of my hoard go and I am very happy with my progress because usually every 10 years I purge almost everything and then start hoarding all over again! 

2.  It took 30 years to see my hoarding and purging pattern and so this time I've tried a different approach and even though in the beginning it was scary and full of anxiety it's been worth it!

3.  Thanks to Etsy and kind Etsy buyers my Hoarder Rehab journey has been much more enjoyable than I ever expected.  First, I didn't think any of my hoard would sell and now I can see over 1000 items of my hoard have found new lives and homes!

4.  And through this blog I have figured out why I hoard, when I hoard and have found alternatives to help stop my hoarding habits!

I have so much to be thankful for!

My last box of pastels.  Photo via The Destiny of Things
Not the same, but I do have this box of colored chalk, available here at JunkDrawerAndMore

Thank you Herbert Rohde from The Destiny of Things for ordering my childhood pastels and for leaving me with a story.  I am so happy that you are going to share your art with the world now and that my pastels will be a part of it all.  I wish you the best with many happy sales!

Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab ever!

Thank you all readers from all over the world who have stopped by to take part in my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things with your visit!

 This is the chalk I'd buy out of desperation when our school would run out and teacher had to buy their own or use markers on butcher paper!  Or I was tempted to use the my box of pastels!
Box of colored chalk, available here
photo via JunkDrawerAndMore

I am adding new items weekly to each shop until I have 800 of my dehoard listed!

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 199 items, The Destiny of Things- 181 items, VintageToGoEasy - 194 items and now JunkDrawerAndMore - 182 items!    
 
Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
 Since we are on the topic of art, our first ebook sold today!
Oshibana, a Japanese book on How to Press Flowers, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab
 
Related Stories:
 
1.  Here is another "destiny as infinity" story:  A Mighty Circular Destiny as Infinity Story:  The Destiny of Things XLIII  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
8.  These were very difficult to let go:  The Destiny of Things:  Not My 80s College Mugs! Story XXII  
 
"You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be."  Marianne Williamson  

No comments:

Post a Comment