Friday, September 4, 2015

DIY Fairy Lights with Gum Ball Capsules: The Destiny of Things, Story 311

DIY Fairy Lights with Gum Ball Capsules:  The Destiny of Things, Story 311

Need a fun activity to do with the kids's this Labor Day weekend?  From this:

50 to 100 gum ball capsules, available here
20 to 30 gum ball machine capsules, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab

To this!  I received a short note with a photo update of a DIY fairy light project from an Etsy buyer!  How fun and cute!  Here is the photo:

photo via creative Etsy buy from Hoarder Rehab

Who knew that these could turn simple plain Christmas lights into fun bedroom fairy lights for a child's bedroom.  Or take them out into the backyard this Labor Day weekend gatherings or for some Back to School fun!

50 to 100 gum ball capsules, available here
20 to 30 gum ball machine capsules, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab

Saying Goodbye:  Here is another one of my hoarded collections that have become popular items on Etsy.  We weren't allowed to spend our money on gum ball machines back in the day, not even we used our own allowance or baby sitting money!

So when I got my first summer job, I started to buy them and ended up liking the gum ball capsules better than the toy prizes!  I did end up collecting all the things I wanted as a child when I was a teen, like an adjustable birthstone ring where the stone breaks off in a week, a compass ring, googly eyed monster pencil toppers and my favorite was a mini version of Van Gogh's bloody ear!

50 to 100 gum ball capsules, available here
20 to 30 gum ball machine capsules, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab

What I Learned:

1.  As a child, I just loved all the kitschy toy prizes, even if my friends had them but I didn't and some of them made it through time travel as a teen and I still have them!  Some I think I still have may be lost in my hoard, like Van Gogh's ear and my Botan Rice Candy prizes that were toys before they replaced them with stickers.

2.  I have quite the collection of gum ball machine capsules too.  Some colors are more rare than others and I collect my own stash for my art project that mostly has my childhood jewelry that I can't part with or no one would want, like my prized champion hopscotch chain bracelet!

3.  My students loved to make rings with these and put there favorite things inside or keep their money safe or their lunch ticket close by them.  Great for mini traveling pocket toys.

4.  They also make great containers for confetti to throw at weddings, especially carnival, circus or zoo themed ones.  I've used them with erasers and coins inside for pinata fillers and also with candy inside as simple table confetti for many party celebrations.

3.  These bring back such good fun memories and I hope they make new ones for others out there too!

50 to 100 gum ball capsules, available here
20 to 30 gum ball machine capsules, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab

Thank you kinda Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab for taking the time to take and send me a photo with a few words of your fun fairy light project! 
 
Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab ever!

Thank you all readers from all over the world who have stopped by to take part in my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things with your visit!

10 vending machine capsules in Halloween colors, available here
 photo via JunkDrawerAndMore

I am working on my dehoarding goals and am starting to new list and relist at each shop!  My goal is to list 200 items on each shop again!  I am challenged with Etsy's new listing formats and also I'm getting used to a new computer system, so the listing is happening slowly, but surely!
 
Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 197 items, The Destiny of Things- 183 items, VintageToGoEasy - 195 items and now JunkDrawerAndMore - 193 items!  
 
Check out all the shop for fun treasure chests fillers for pirates and mermaids, like stickers, gum ball capsules for you to fill, trinket gun charms and more!

Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
 Ninja Turtle colors, available here, we will switch out the yellow for orange
photo via VintageToGoeasy

Related Stories:

 
 
 
 Patriotic or Big Top Circus Carnival colors, available here
 
Happy Labor Weekend to you and yours! 

No comments:

Post a Comment