Friday, September 25, 2015

Mini Tanuki & Obijime for Japanese Culture Classroom Lesson: The Destiny of Things, Story 319

Mini Tanuki & Obijime for Japanese Culture Classroom Lesson:  The Destiny of Things, Story 319

These bring back such teacher memories for me!

Mini tanuki Japanese souvenir, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab 

I received this story from a teacher!

Our school is studying different cultures (a preschool) and I wanted to share a Japanese story about a Tanuki. The little souvenir was a cute addition to my story. 

Students love realia or props that go with any story and this one will sit in a child's hand easily.  So cute to pass around so everyone can get a look and touch the magic!
Tanuki is an old Japanese folk tale about a magical supernatural animal that might be part wild cat, badger and raccoon dog that has eight super powers and can shape shift, into tea pots and humans.

The legend is basically about a poor man who finds a tanuki caught in a trap and sets it free.  Later that night the tanuki comes to the poor man to thank him by turning himself into a tea pot, so the poor man can sell him and have some money.

The tanuki teapot is sold to a monk who scrubs the pot clean and puts him over a fire to boil water.  The tanuki can't take the heat and sprouts legs and in it's half transformed state makes a run for it!

The tanuki returns to the poor man with another idea.  The man would set up a circus-like roadside attraction and charge admission for people to see a teapot walking a tightrope. The plan works, and each gains something good from the other—the man is no longer poor and the tanuki has a new friend and home.

In another version of the story, the tanuki-teapot does not run and returns to its transformed state. The shocked monk decides to leave the teapot as an offering to the poor temple where he lives, choosing not to use it for making tea again. The temple eventually becomes famous for its supposed dancing teapot.

Students love that story with it's variations and can debate over the endings and write new endings.

 Obijime obi tie, sold out, size 5 geta sandals with tabis available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab  

Here is another little note I recieved:

Our classes (preschool) were studying different cultures and this fit in nicely with our study of Japan!  

This is a perfect kimono accessory to pass around the class.  It will get imaginations soaring for all little classroom geishas and ninjas!

When I taught Asian culture to third graders, they just loved to dress up and try on clothes from different cultures!   I had Chinese clothes, Japanese kimonos and hapi coats, obijime ties, obis, geta sandals, saris, bindis, hair ornaments, etc.  It's a great lesson for costumes for Halloween too!

Kimonos and saris are not as easy to get dressed in as Western clothing, so usually for the Halloween parade I'd get dressed in a kimono or sari during my lunch break.  And students who did not have a costume to join in could wear the extra Asian clothing with a paper plate mask!

One would need many obi ties to put on a traditional obi, but sometimes I cheated and would wear my pre tied obi from childhood!

My obi is not listed, but if anyone wants it just let me know!
photo via Hoarder Rehab  

Saying goodbye:  I can not seem to let go of my childhood obi and kanzashi.  I have tried several times and my kanzashi actually sold to be made into another one for the opera of Madame Butterfly!

My students loved trying this on too!  

What I Learned:

1.  I still have a lot of stuff leftover from teaching, especially my favorite pieces of realia or props!  And to think I purged a three car garage of most of it when I retired.

2.  Even though I can not let go of my childhood kanzashi and obi I am trying to figure out what to do with them.  I'd love to incorporate them in some of my art some how one day.

3.  I do miss experiencing the excitement of students learning something new with realia, however I do not miss any of the administration restraints on lesson planning, paperwork and such.  I am happy to be left with my memories from my teaching days!

My class would have loved all the bells and whistles to this working musical jewelry box like the one from my childhood, available here.  It even has it's key, drawers, trays and a secret compartment!
photo via Hoarder Rehab  

Thank you Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab for your story and for bringing back memories from my teaching days!  I hope you are making happy fun ones at your pre school.

Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab ever!

Thank you all readers from all over the world who have stopped by to take part in my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things with your visit!
 
 Students of both genders loved to clunk around in these!
Size 5 geta sandals with tabi socks available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab 
 
I am adding new items weekly to each shop until I have 800 of my dehoard listed!

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 194 items, The Destiny of Things- 179 items, VintageToGoEasy - 195 items and now JunkDrawerAndMore - 183 items!    
 
Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
For you little geisha: Nagoya Hinamatsuri obi, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab  
 
Related Stories:
 
 
 
 
 
 
"It's never too late to be what you might have been" ---George Eliot 

No comments:

Post a Comment