Friday, October 23, 2015

Not My Mini Miss Dior Perfume Sample Bottle: The Destiny of Things, Story 328

Not My Mini Miss Dior Perfume Sample Bottle!  The Destiny of Things, Story 328

One of my favorite perfumes from my collection went to a new home!

I've had this since childhood and now it's long gone!
The rest of my childhood perfume collection, available here

I've loved miniatures all my life and family and friends have helped my miniature collections grow ever since!  Luckily now they leave them at my mom's house on a bathroom shelf that's getting quite overpopulated.

I can't recall how many vintage perfume bottles I had, but I only like the bottles, not so much the perfume inside them, so many were full bottles unless they were given to me from family and friends who used them up first.

As a kid, I didn't care if they were empty or not, I just loved the mini bottles that looked like the originals and most of the time filled them up with colored water using food coloring and had a grand time changing the display of them monthly.

Here's is a photo of some of what I had:

The rest of my childhood perfume collection, available here

Even my childhood classroom teachers gave me their perfume bottles, which reminds me one of them gave me an etched glass one with a sterling floral topper with a glass dabber.  I wonder where that is?  I'll have to go hoard diving again!

Another one gave me the tiny gold and blue in the cabinet on the right side of the knobs.  It's in the square a tad below the knob.  It's a gold filigree one with a cameo style cabochon and a blue jewel like gem that sits on top.  As a child I thought it was the fancy!

All my life I've received perfume as gifts and a family friend worked in the cosmetic department at Bullock's and she'd have a bag full of perfume samples for me every time she would visit.

Now I'm allergic to anything with perfume, even if it's laundry detergent, even if the neighbor is doing their laundry.  Some days are better than others, but most days any contact with perfume sends me to bed.

The rest of my childhood perfume collection, available here

This particular perfume I didn't like until perhaps my mid thirties or so and I suspect I was becoming allergic to perfumes back then because I mainly left it in my travel case and only used it when I traveled.

My last favorite perfume that I could use was Thierry Mugler's Angel perfume which someone gave me as a gift.  I used every last drop of that one, but I still loved it's star shape and very cool box!

Empty Thierry Mugler's Angel perfume bottle and box, available here

Interesting how one goes through life with different favorite perfumes for years and then a new one moves in.  When I first became allergic to any perfume I was too sick to miss them and I still don't miss using perfume.

I guess it's like my jewelry, even though I'm allergic to it, I still love jewelry, but don't miss wearing any anymore.  If I see a piece I love, it still makes my heart jump, but not with perfume, the scent will just leave my head pounding.

The rest of my childhood perfume collection, available here

I was a little anxious when my Miss Dior perfume left, but it went to someone who loves it and will use it and what a relief to get a story!

Here it is:

That is great that you are recovering from your hoarding - not an easy thing for sure. I have a weakness for jewelry, perfume, and stuffed animals, and I try to curb my own buying tendencies too.  

I do have an array of perfumes, but I never bought them for their bottles, just their scents. This little bottle is actually an exception for me. I'm positive it relates back to my subconscious, when I was in elementary school and had a tiny glass bottle of Tinkerbell cologne, and I was applying it to my wrist as I was walking down the hallway, and it slipped out of my hand and smashed to the floor, perfume and glass everywhere. I was so upset, and I never forgot that cute tiny bottle. Tinkerbell was such an amazing fragrance for little girls back then (mid-70s). 

I wish you all the best my dear, and I'll let you know when the bottle arrives. You have a great day too!

What a great memory to keep!  Her memory helped me know that I could let this perfume go because not only was I adding to her memories, but she to mine and I could totally relate to little incidences like hers from my past that I let get out of control and end up hoarding!

Oh and I used to have a hoard of stuffed animals too!  I wonder what happened to mine.  I used to sort and arrange them on my bed every morning.  I can still picture them in my head.  I think I had over fifty!

The rest of my childhood perfume collection, available here

I am so happy this went to someone who collects fragrances, unlike me who would rather have the miniature bottle and this one is so usual since it can't stand on it's own, unless upside down.  I just loved this bottle for it's uniqueness.

Also this person was very observant and read that I really only collected for their bottles, not the scents.  Knowing that also helped my anxiousness of having to let this go.

The rest of my childhood perfume collection, available here

Saying Goodbye:  Even though this Miss Dior left me with some discomfort, as a recovering hoarder I can now say I've come a long way!  Before and I'm not kidding, some things when they left felt like I was losing a limb.  It was terribly traumatic for me, until I started asking myself, "okay, little miss, would you rather lose this or a limb?"

Which would give me a reality check and help me put things in perspective, when being allergic to the thing wasn't enough!

 This was my favorite perfume when I went through my Victorian era stage,
This smells like a soft bed of rose petals, available here

What I Learned:

1.  A dose of humor goes a mile when the cut feels deeper!  And in the beginning I didn't find any humor in dehoarding and was only doing it for my health because I'm allergic to dust and was stressed out miserable with just listing my stuff and would hope no one would buy it.

2.  Today I am so grateful that everything has a silver lining.

I had a huge bottle of this which was a souvenir from France.  This was my favorite club perfume because it will overpower any other perfume by filling up the room and it lasts for hours.  This mini sample looks almost full, available here


Thank you Etsy buyer from The Destiny of Things for sharing your story.  It's nice to know that I am not alone and how little incidences in life can be overcome with a simple little gesture or replacement buy.  Also, so happy to know that someone else thinks it's as cute as ever!

Thanks again for the trip down memory lane where old perfume bottles never die because they keep making memories!
 
Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab I could ever imagine!

Thank you all readers from all over the world who have stopped by to take part in my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things with your visit!
 
These are empty and my Uncle gave them to me.  I remember seeing them in his bathroom during visits and wondering when he'd be done with them.
Empty Hermes and other blue perfume bottles, available here

I am adding new items weekly to each shop until I have 800 of my dehoard listed!  However this week, my computer is on the fritz and needs updates and servicing, so hopefully after this weekend I list new hoard again.

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 187 items, The Destiny of Things- 170 items, VintageToGoEasy - 190 items and now JunkDrawerAndMore - 177 items!    
 
Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
This sailor perfume since 1792 is so tiny cute and I had it next to my mini tiny Tabasco sauce sample bottle, even thought it's not perfume, I had to have it!
Vintage Glockengasse Kolnish Wasser No 4711 German miniature perfume: no 4711 mini Eau de Cologne Germany, available here

Related Stories:

1.  My most favorite perfume of all!  This fragrance is very stunning and bring back such memories from just a whiff  Must de Cartier and My Perfume Collection:  The Destiny of Things, Story, XXXIX 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
8.  Perhaps my most painful of all:  The Destiny of Things:  Freddie the Frog Puppet, Story XII
 
 One of my other favorite bottles during my Victorian era collecting with mini talcum sampler, available here 
 
Happy  Friday!  Crossing my fingers for my computer getting fixed this weekend!  See you again on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment