Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Not My Favorite Mink Jacket! The Destiny of Things, Story 304

Not My Favorite Mink Jacket!  The Destiny of Things, Story 304

I had to let go of my mink jacket from my fur collection!

One last piece of my mink collection, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab

This Etsy shopper said she often toured my shop and when she made an order, boy did she make an order!  She took a half a dozen things with her!  including one of my favorite furs! 

Yes, I hoarded furs, but I didn't plan on it.  Many came from family and friends, some from one of my thrifting buddies who kept telling me to make them into couch pillows, until I was convinced that I would one day!

She asked for a discount and since she was ordering so much, I obliged as long as she sent her story too!  Oh yeah, she's a hoarder also! and a Miranda!

Here is her fun email and her cat from all the hoard packages:

For the first 20 years of my professional life were spent as an actress/singer/dancer on Broadway. During those years I dressed in my fantasies. I frequented second hand shops in the Village and the Lower East Side. This was long before "retro" and "vintage" became synonymous with expensive. I found a cache of late '30s and 40s Joan Crawford style dresses. Heaven! I found veiled hats, gloves and purses to match.

My second career was as a college professor. No more extravagant dressing. I had to suppress my bohemian spirit for nearly 20 years! I retired 3 years ago and now I can do whatever the blazes I want! This fur lined jacket gives me that old thrill. When I wear it I'll feel like a glamorous Hollywood doyenne.

The fact that I am a hoarder myself and have 2 closets full of clothes I no longer wear, need not diminish my delight in owning this showy beauty. Mr. Miranda, it's curious, is it not, that we share not only behavior, taste, but also our names? Synchronicity, serendipity, or just plain good karma. Whatever the reason, I'm glad we met.

 Oh the hoard, the hoard....
I look like that a lot!  My hoard can be exhausting!

How exciting!  She can wear whatever she wants now!  I know how she feels because after a career of wearing teacher clothes, I am so glad I can just meander around in my jeans and tee shirts now!

That's funny!  I still have most of my teacher clothes too! and I can't seem to part with them, but I can't think of one occasion where I'd ever where them again.  It's time to think about how they must relate to my hoard and see if I can part with some by listing them.  Expect to see more cat head fashion again!

I am so happy she loves this mink jacket!  I loved it too!  I wore it a couple of times with the satin side showing because the mink feels so yummy inside, but it just doesn't get cold enough in Los Angeles and now I'm allergic to most furs, except for some dogs.  So I listed them all and all but one has sold.

I love the satin side and Ms. Miranda loves the mink side showing!

One last piece of my mink collection, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab

Saying Goodbye:  At the time, I was slightly sad to see this go, but maybe it was because she bought so many other things too.  I don't seem to do well when I part with my hoard too quickly.

For the past couple of weeks, sales have been high and I've been parting with hoard left and right.  Off the top of my head over 30 items a week!  Can that be, right?  No wonder I've been feeling somewhat off. 

She got this Oshibana Japanese How To Press flower book too, but it wasn't difficult to part with because it's available as an ebook here
photo via Hoarder Rehab

What I Learned:

1.  Dehoarding is a slow journey.  I keep having to remind myself I've been hoarding since childhood, so there isn't going to be a quick solution to dehoard.  I've have purged several times during my adult life and my hoard will just boomerang right back ten fold like the weight gain after a bad fad diet!

This time I'm trying to be more conscious of the digging for the reasons I hoard, the stress triggers that lead me astray towards retail therapy overload and focusing on my goals daily, like the visual pictures I have in my mind of how I want my house to look and how much healthier a dustless, clutterless space will be for my mind and body.

Some days are easier than others, but now I can find silver linings with each back slide.

Hmm... I didn't notice until now, but she is going for an Asian theme!
Honeycomb lanterns in sets, available here, and singles here
photo via Hoarder Rehab 

Thank you Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab for emailing your fun story in exchange for a discount!  I didn't know we'd have so much in common and so much I could relate too!
Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab ever!  
 
Thank you all readers from all over the world who have stopped by to visit my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things!
 
 She ordered my round fan tray too, but I've forgot to save the photo and have already replace it with these stacking square ones, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab
 
I'm returning to my dehoarding goals and am starting to new list and relist at each shop again!  My goal is to list 200 items on each shop again!
 
Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 180 items, The Destiny of Things- 174 items, VintageToGoEasy - 175 items and now JunkDrawerAndMore - 174 items!  

Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
 My favorite of favorites out of all my coats! Available here 
photo via Hoarder Rehab 
 

Speaking of goals!  I have a friend who opened her shop, FawnLilyVintage and now we are both dehoarding.  She hopes to move soon and is cleaning out her closet.  
 
Check out her closet here!  She has some beautiful vintage dresses, mainly lacy romantic clothing.  Some of my favorites are this lovely sheer grey dress here, oh my it's already reserved for someone!  That was my favs of favs!
 
Other favorites are: this 70s paisley dress,  I wonder if that's a little drawstring bow, so cute!  This classic lace sleeved 60s cocktail dress here, love the lbd bow at the waistline.  Love this vintage black velvet blazer that would go with anything from jeans to my favd dresses!  
 
I have so many favs, so go see for yourself, but here is my last one, I love this Lanvin blue shirt dress from the 70s!

It's nice to have some mutual support!  If you would like to dehoard too and open your shop let me know and we can both have 40 free listings!  It's a good way to dip your toe in the water and get started!  We can help each other learn along the way!
 
 Futaba Furrier of the Imperial Hotel, available here
 
Related Stories:  Everything in the beginning was painful to let go, but as time wore on it got amazingly easier, but I still hit some bumps and these seem to be my most painful.  I think the fifth story was the worst and with bittersweet tears!
 
 
 
 
 
 
Thank you for taking part in my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things!  

No comments:

Post a Comment