Friday, February 27, 2015

Monkey Cocktail Drink Charms for Shirley Temple Birthday Kit: The Destiny of Things, Story 278

Monkey Cocktail Drink Charms for Shirley Temple Birthday Kit:  The Destiny of Things, Story 278

A story came today!  I love it when sentimental memories come together to make new ones!

Available in 12 or 20 count here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

By the time I woke up and checked Etsy emails this morning, this was waiting for me!

Note from Buyer: Hi VintageToGoEasy! These plastic monkeys are a part of a birthday gift for my dad's 53rd birthday! He has very found memories of going with his grandpa to get Shirley Temple drinks during the 60's and 70's and he always remembers them having little plastic cocktail monkeys hanging on his cup. So this year, I'm planning on giving him a Shirley Temple kit to recreate one of his favorite memories and one of his favorite drinks!! Thank you providing the most important part of his kit! (: 

How fun!  Of course, I am so curious and I wonder if the kit is going to include a little something in case her dad wants to make a dirty Shirley!  Recipes for the original old fashioned clean Shirley Temple and a dirty one below.

I was thinking mine always came with a Maraschino cherry, a thin red straw just like the grown up got and a mermaid or a pretty paper umbrella or both, so perhaps boys got the monkey drink marker?  I do remember playing with the mermaids until the arms broke off and my brother and I playing with the monkeys until the tails broke off.

Available in 12 or 20 count here
or in 30 or 50 or 100 count here at Hoarder Rehab
photo via VintageToGoEasy

I always felt like I was having my own grown up fancy drink and would sit up straight and think of how maraschino cherries didn't seem like cherries and wondered how they got the seed out with the stem on! And afterwards, I'd put the umbrella behind an ear and feel like singing, "on the good ship lollipop!" with Shirley Temple!


Here is Shirley Temple surprised it's not her drink!
photo via google images
History of the Shirley Temple Drink from Wise Geeks:  A Shirley Temple is a sweet, non-alcoholic drink named after the child actress Shirley Temple. The drink was invented for Shirley by a bartender in Beverly Hills, CA. The bartender worked at Chasen’s restaurant, a place Shirley Temple often frequented as a child.

Since she clearly could not drink alcohol, Chasen’s sought a drink that would appeal to Shirley’s young palate, and the Shirley Temple was born.

The original recipe called for two parts ginger ale, one part orange juice and about a teaspoon to tablespoon of grenadine. It was usually garnished with a cherry and possibly an orange slice.

To make a dirty Shirley most add vodka, but I think I'd rather add gin!

Available in 12 or 20 count here at VintageToGoEasy
or in 30 or 50 or 100 count here at Hoarder Rehab
photo via VintageToGoEasy

Saying Goodbye:  I just love these little versatile critters and place them just about everywhere, but especially where the sun hits them, like in planters, terrariums, moss gardens, windowsills and even my mini zen rock garden!  They hang nicely from garlands too by their tails and sometimes if they behave they can balance on one too, just like how they sit on a drink.

Guests just love them, adults and children alike!  Everyone seems to come alive and young at heart with one of these and I just love how fond memories and stories from the adults make new memories for all the little ones!

No one gets tired of them and kids even ask if they'll be around for snack time or dinner and will sneak some off to play with a few out in the backyard or take walking park trips or while on car travel.  A cute little perfect pocket companions.  Oh and these little monkeys just love pretend stories and books too and love to read aloud!

What I Learned:

1.  Some of my hoard just isn't bringing out old memories for myself, but for a lot of others too and I think my new motto might be turning sentimental memories into new ones!  Who doesn't love a good share!

2.  I don't know what happened but my insomnia is back and I've had carpal tunnel in my wrist for about a week now, so blogging has slowed down, but this morning's little note really inspired me to keep moving forward!  And I just love having an organic Shirley Temple as a reward!

I just use organic fresh ginger root juice, sparkling water with an ounce or two of organic cherry juice.  One ounce of tart dark cherry juice in the am and pm is supposed to help sleep due to it's melatonin content.  I'm also eat organic kumquats and jujube date honey tea which used to help my insomnia too.

Boo hoo, my wrist is beginning to ache.....I'll save my Hoarder Rehab Tip for next time, but in the mean time, have you found what motivates you the most, especially when you can't get started?  Mine are rewards, like organic Shirley Temple drinks! If you haven't found what motivates you to dehoard or reach other goals, this posting may help you here.

Available in 12 or 20 count here at VintageToGoEasy
or in 30 or 50 or 100 count here at Hoarder Rehab
photo via VintageToGoEasy

Thank you Etsy buyer from VintageToGoEasy for leaving me a "note to buyer" story this early morning!  So fun, inspiring and motivating!  I wish your Dad the best 53rd birthday ever and wish I could be a fly on the wall when he opens his Shirley Temple kit from you and as his fond memories of Grandpa and Shirley Temples turn into new ones with you and the rest of his family!

Thank you Etsy for helping me make my dehoarding more enjoyable and fun by sending me Etsy buyers who send email stories to keep me moving forward.  What a way to start my day!

Thank you readers from all over the world for supporting my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things !  Your support by visiting is much appreciated.
 
photo via VintageToGoEasy
Little mermaids in 8 or 12 count, available here
 

My new dehoarding goal is to list something new weekly at each shop until I reach 200 at all four shops!  I had reached that goal at three shops this week, but the hoard has been flying off the shelves! So only one shop has 200 listed.

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily or weekly: HoarderRehab with 200 items, The Destiny of Things- 199 items , VintageToGoEasy - 197 items and now JunkDrawerAndMore - 199 items!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
These are the pretty paper umbrellas I remember in my Shirley Temples.
available here -SOLD OUT!

Related Stories:

1.   An Etsy buyer had her mermaid for over 50 years and then found it broken:  Retro Plastic Mermaid Cocktail Drink Charms:  The Destiny of Things, Story #116
 

3.  Need help in finding what best motivates you?  Rewards as Motivation:  Hoarder Inspiration or Desperation #9   It lists other things that may motivate you besides rewards, or give you ideas on where to start to find what motivates you the most if you get stuck or need a restart.

 
 
 photo via Hoarder Rehab
Cocktail monkeys in 50 or 100 count here

"Harmony.  It's not what's lasting or permanent.  It is about individual voices coming together for a moment.  And that moment lasts a length of a breath, or in my instance a transaction.  That's what I think about my time here."---Frank Underwood from House of Cards or in my case, I think it's "destiny, as well as harmony."   See the quote in one of my collages, here 
 
 "House of Cards" begins again today!  Yeah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment