Friday, February 6, 2015

Kindred Spirits: Hoarder Inspiration or Desperation, Story 19

Kindred Spirits:  Hoarder Inspiration or Desperation, Story 19

Every once in awhile a kindred spirit let's me know in an Etsy email!

 
Hi,

I like the name of your shop. I think I may be in need of a little hoarder rehab myself lately.
Just seems as though, my house is shrinking as I acquire more things to sell on Etsy.

And being a very creative person, I have lots of projects around the house and art supplies further adding to the clutter.

Just thought I'd tell you I like the name of your shop, my name is Nancy, and I hope you have a beautiful day.

I live in Iowa, and we are expecting 10 to 12 inches of snow here tonight. Or as I tell my friends to the south of me, I feel like I'm in a snow globe and someone is shaking it.

Nancy

 Here is my favorite thing from her shop that I'd be getting if I wasn't in recovery!
It's the cutest doll chair and the picture blocks remind me of Dave Bruno art!
photo via NancysGeneralStore, see it here


and this is what I wrote back:
 
 
Hi Nancy!

Thanks for stopping by and sending such a nice email! I totally understand the shrinking house syndrome with boxes of rotating projects here and there!

Can I share your little email on my Hoarder Rehab blog? I can leave you anonymous or link it to your shop, but it's nice to know that someone can relate not only to my shop name, but my journey!

How is the snow globe weather over there now?

From one kindred spirit to another,
Kennedy at Hoarder Rehab

 I do love miniatures and collected them for years as a child. I love the mini clothes patterns!
photo via NancysGeneralStore, see it here
I wonder if these are from her childhood.  Most of mine have sold on Hoarder Rehab

Nancy is an artist too and is a former photographer who owned her own studio for 26 years and as a national artist, was a member of KODAK Promise of Excellence.  She shot over 300 weddings and her photo work was published over 400 times in national publications.  What a fun career!

Now she makes unique jewelry from her lifelong love of Gems and minerals and is a member of Des Moines Lapidary Society and Central Iowa Mineral society.  She has been designing affordable unique Herkimer Diamond jewelry. This one of a kind, straight from Herkimer N,Y. Natural Diamond quartz, has really been catching on. I use only Extremely high grade Herkimer's. 

Occasionally she has other items for weddings, items of inspiration, ebooks, jewelry, unique candies that look like LEGOS, Amish made items, ( From My Amish Neighbors), and her Photo Art!  Click on the highlights to go directly to that section of her shop, NancysGeneralStore and check them out!

I love buttons and buckles and this is on my wish list!
photo via NancysGeneralStore, available here

Okay, time to stop window browsing and get back to this story!

Honk if your house is getting smaller and smaller too!  Honk if you are like us and are trying to contain and juggle all rotating art projects around the house!  Anyone out there have some helpful tips that have worked for them to share?  Please let us know ASAP!

Hoarder Rehab Inspiration: It's always nice to hear from someone out of the blue and hear fun and inspirational thoughts from them.  It's like a pat on the back or a nod in total agreement.  Very reassuring.

I've come along way since my Hoarder Rehab began in February 2012 with the opening of our first shop, VintageToGoeasy and this blog and along the way there have been plenty of Etsyians who have inspired and encouraged me to keep moving on, even if if I did go stray and buy things from their Etsy shops!

Kudos to all those who have helped me on my Hoarder Rehab journey!

Hoarder Rehab Desperation:  Zero Nada Zilch!  At least not today because I'm so thankful to have been inspired by a kindred spirit! Not only am I slowly learning how to turn my hoard into some kind of interesting silver lining, but I'm finding positive things in common with other hoarders and non hoarders.  And that feels good!

 Lastly I'm totally into Corning ware because when I was allergic to metal
I only used my Corning ware!
photo via NancysGeneralStore, available here 

Thank you Nancy from NancysGeneralStore for sending me an email letting me know that as a recovering hoarder, I am not alone and a non hoarder can relate to me too!  Nice to hear from a fellow artist too with multiplying supplies and projects around the house!

Thank you Etsy for making my Hoarder Rehab more fun, meaningful and enjoyable with the support from other Etsy buyers and sellers!

My new Hoarder Rehab goal is to list something new weekly at each shop until I reach 200 at least three shops!  I have reached that goal at one shop! 

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily or weekly: HoarderRehab with 199 items, The Destiny of Things- 1945 items , VintageToGoEasy - 210 items and now JunkDrawerAndMore - 166 items!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!

 Nancy would like to hear the story from an Etsy buyers of how this Roman coin would be used in their art!  Sound familiar?  Definitely kindred spirits!
photo via NancysGeneralStore, available here

Hoarder Rehab Tip #2:  CONTAIN my hoardThis sometimes works for me!
 
Admit, Accept, Confide and Contain:  Containment is an on going daily, sometimes minute to minute battle!  I keep my hoard contained into 3 areas.  Our music art room, an open area the size of a closet and my truck!  Right now all three spaces are full to the brim and the open closet are is ready to brim over or fall over!  I haven't touched the hoard in the truck except to drive it.  It's about  in 3 years since I've even opened up the back!  oh my did I add the years up correctly? 

On the positive side, I did take out 3 crates of 2 full sets of my Grandmother's china because the truck gives a very bouncy ride and once we had to drive over some large heavy branches one rainy season and I couldn't remember how well I packed them!

Anyways,  I will follow up on my own containment and work on the open closet area this weekend.  Maintaining is also important for me as a recovering hoarder because rooms in a blink of an eye get smaller and smaller as projects and supplies grow and multiply!  The kitchen usually piles up with dishes and laundry, the living room can turn into a dumping ground, the bedroom - office ends up with boxes of stuff to list and the dining room with project overload!

Next week I hope to show photos of some of the maintained rooms and my two hoarded areas and explain "Contain and Maintain!"

In the mean time, it's important to me as a recovering hoarder to know what motivates me.  So if you are with me on this or trying to break a bad habit, today's question is "What motivates you?"

Unfortunately for me, having a buddy to start or dehoard with would be my ideal motivation, but I don't know anyone else who wants to dehoard.  I do know some hoarders, but none of them are ready to reform and are not very supportive.

Happy Friday! 

Related Stories:  Other Etsyians who inspire me!

1.  HoarderRehab Inspiration:  Paying Attention to Falling Stars!  Story #1:  Karen makes a mini quilt a day and the words of on her shop banner continue to inspire me daily!

2.   700+ Clocks and Counting!:  Hoarder Rehab Inspiration or Desperation, Story #14:  An Etsy buyers shared her rooms of clocks with me, so neat!

3.  An Etsy shop owner who sent me photos of their hoard!  Hello Fellow Etsy Hoarder!  Hoarder Rehab Inspiration or Desperation, Story #16  

4.  Sometimes Etsy buyers turn into good friends and we give each other support in all areas of life:
"Find the good to eliminate the bad!"

No comments:

Post a Comment