Monday, January 30, 2017

Happy Year of the Rooster, Goodbye Monkey! The Destiny of Things, Story 432-434

Happy Lunar Year of the Rooster, Goodbye Monkey!  The Destiny of Things, Story 432-434

Goodbye monkey!  Hello rooster!

12 or 20 monkey drink or cake toppers, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

I wish they made these monkey toppers representing all 12 of the Chinese New Year zodiac animals!  The Lunar New Year zodiac signs are the rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog and pig. It is calculated according to Chinese lunar calendar. 

 20 Shirley Temple cocktail drink or cupcake toppers, available here

I've been collecting the animals they do make and I can find without burning my wallet and so far have several to many of these in varying colors:  giraffe, camel, bull, donkey, elephant, monkey and mermaids.  Many vintage and some not.

I did find a mouse, unicorn, and dog once, at different times, but they all cost an arm and leg, so I passed them up.  Now I don't really collect them, unless I happen to see one by chance.  I still stock them for the shops though.

However, finding all the different colors and shades are becoming more and difficult these days!  Lately, I can only find them in true red, orange, green and blue.  Finding them in the old fashioned neon colors is like finding a needle in a haystack or maybe I just spend less time shopping now that I don't collect so much hoard?

Need less?  6 party animals for cocktails, drink or cake toppers, here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

Even though, the monkey was last year's animal symbol for Chinese New Year, they are still fun for other types of celebrations and here are some ideas from Etsy buyers!

They are so cute, cant wait to decorate with them for my daughter's birthday party.

Items arrived promptly and in perfect condition. I bought these as a birthday gift for a friend who loves monkeys. They were a big hit. I appreciate the little goodie bag that came with my order. You're so kind. Thank you!  

This was a cocktail addition for rum punch and people loved them!

 So the colors you see here are running low and will be substituted with a monkey of a more true red or green color, yellow with orange and dark blue with a more aqua blue color monkeys, available here 
photo via Hoarder Rehab

What could be more fun than a barrel full of monkeys for your daughter's birthday?  

If you love or collect monkeys, these are perfect because they hang or stand on almost everything!  I have mine standing on my art to add a pop of color, hanging in plants as fun plant jewelry and of course as a drink or cake topper for any time of the year!

If you are having a pirate party, could you resist a playful monkey topper on your cup of rum punch?

Saying Goodbye:  I have my own stash of these, mostly vintage in varying colors and the harder ones to find are the gray, pink, light blue and brown ones.  Some of the vintage ones do have the year 1961 on them, if you look closely on their tails.

 The above colors are going to be the new stock colors:  a more true red and true green color, yellow will be substituted with orange and the dark blue with a more aqua blue color monkeys.  
20 or 24 mixed monkey new stock color mix or all one color, available here

What I Learned:

1.  I've been learning that my time as a recovering hoarder and Etsy shop owner is becoming more and more valuable to me, so I'm not sure how much longer I'll be using them as my Hoarder Rehab.  

I'm "thinking" of donating my hoard, if I can, as much as I can, so I can move on to other things.  Other things?  like what? I'm not sure either, but I have the desire to do so and putting it out there!

2.  Right now, I just have a lot of thoughts, like can I donate?  I've tried that before and hoarded it all back, so how can I make this time different?  If I can donate, how much should I let go at a time without having drama trauma!  These are only little thoughts right now, but these thoughts are going to turn into something better!  I just know it!

3.  One baby step has led to another and those baby steps, no matter how small have been adding up!  I've come a long ways, baby!  My years of conscious hoarder rehab would seem to be turning into something else, still unknown, but closer now!

If you are having a pirate and mermaid themed party, you might want to include some of these mermaids with your monkeys and rum!  Available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy 

Thank you Etsy buyers from VintageToGoEasy and Hoarder Rehab for taking the time to share your stories to give me and others inspirations and fun ideas!
 
Also very motivating for me to continue on my Hoarder Rehab journey and to keep trying different things and other ways to solve my challenges until I find alternatives to my hoarding.
 
Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab ever!  And for all the kind people I'm meeting who are helping me indirectly and directly in so many ways with my Hoarder Rehab!  I've been gleaning so much insight about my hoarding ways.
 
 Vintage Honeycomb Asian lanterns with tassel for any Asian celebration, like Red Egg and Ginger parties.  These are eco friendly because they fold up flat for easy storage and can be used over and over again!  available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab

I hope you are enjoying the Lunar New Year celebrations that started on January 28, 2017 and will end on February 11, 2017.  There are all kinds of different ways to celebrate and many fun cultural things to learn to enjoy.  The one I'm trying this year is learning some Mandarin and Cantonese to greet others during this special time!

During the Lunar New Year period Chinese people greet one another with unique sayings when they meet, where ordinarily they would not greet people with whom they do not have a personal relationship.

So from me to you, 恭喜发财 (gong xǐ fa cái)  “Wish you wealth and prosperity.”

I am diligently new listing and relisting daily!  With a lot more coming soon!
Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 176 items, The Destiny of Things- 181 items, VintageToGoEasy - 184 items and JunkDrawerAndMore - 181 items.  
 
Maybe you'll find something to adopt and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
 True vintage (each one is marked 1961 on it's tail) monkey cocktail drink or cake toppers or even tiaras! available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy 
 
Related Stories:
 
 
2.  Made into a tiara for last year's monkey baby shower:  True Vintage Monkey Baby Shower Tiara:  The Destiny of Things, Story 354   
 
 
 
 I bought these for the Lunar New Year and Valentine's day, but they are one size too big for me, so I upcycled them with beads and sequins for the fun of it!  They are brand new and so cute with red satin brocade with cherry blossoms!
Available here.
photo via JunkDrawerAndMore
 
Xīnnián hǎo - Happy New Year!  If you'd like to hear the pronunciation of many Lunar greetings, try this site here!

No comments:

Post a Comment