Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Loteria Card Art Mexican Folklore Ancestor Nicho: The Destiny of Things, Story 430

Loteria Card Art Mexican Folklore Ancestor Nicho:  The Destiny of Things, Story 430

An Etsy buyer is building a small nicho for her ancestors with my loteria art!

Loteria art cards, one or more or all, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

Here is the kind note I received:

Hello,
I just wanted to thank you again for the package! I want to build my own small nicho for my abuela and my dad. I am spanish but have always been fascinated with mexican folklore. Thank you again.
Best,
S

I've made another loteria art card set and they come with a box,
in case you want to make your own shrine or store them, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

Here is what I wrote back:

Hi S!

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I am so happy to hear that my art might be included with your nicho for your abuela and dad. What a great way to honor your ancestor

Best to you too!
Kennedy
 

PS. I'd love to see your nicho when it's done. I've made many in the past too, incorporating all the religions in my family. 

Of course, I wish to be a fly on her wall to see her nicho completed for her abuela and dad, but I understand some things are private.

Back in the 80s to 90s, I made Day of the Dead nichos and ofrendas for many years to honor and remember my ancestors.  We have many different religions in our family, at least 5 off the top of my head and used their artifacts to make nichos, ofrendas, shrines and alters to honor my ancestors and events.

I've made another loteria art card set and they come with a box,
in case you want to make your own shrine or store them, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

Saying Goodbye:  I hope to find my handmade ofrendas again one day, but most of the copper ones I bought back then have sold, however I have not found my handmade nichos (shrines) and ofrendas (like a shadow box to hold a collection of objects and photos of your ancestors things).

Copper nicho ofrenda with glass door with interchangeable loteria card art and loteria gift box, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab

What I Learned:

1.  I wanted to explain how to use a nicho or ofrenda and their differences, but I am not feeling well and will have to do it for a later blog post.

2.  I used to make shrines and alters all the time back in the 80s and 90s, especially for Veteran's and Memorial Day because I had so many relatives who fought during World War II and would place their photos with special objects I had from them.  

3.  I still make little impromptu alters and shrines, but they are more like little temporary mixed media art collections or vignettes.  Right now, I have one for my favorite and happiest pet, Spidey.  It has a framed photo of him, his leash, some cute dog erasers, mini bone bead, an angel card and burning candles.

4.  These little shrines and alters help me work through my grief and remind me of happy memories.  They are fun to make and beautiful to look at with all the special meaningful photos and keepsakes.

How do you honor your ancestors?  I honor mine with shrines and alters I make and whatever religion they were, I honor that too with a prayer, affirmation, burning incense, a lit candle and what ever else I can remember and honor them with.

Perhaps you'd like to make your own loteria nichos, garlands, gift tags, boxes cupcake toppers and more, here is an entire set of 54 loteria cards with the traditional riddles on the back and 10 game boards, available here

Thank you Etsy buyer from VintageToGoEasy for sharing your story and leaving me inspired to start making nichos and ofrendas again.
 
Also very motivating for me to continue on my Hoarder Rehab journey and to keep trying different things until I find alternatives to my hoarding
 
Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab ever!  And for all the kind people I'm meeting who are helping me indirectly and directly in so many ways with my Hoarder Rehab!  I've been gleaning so much insight about my hoarding ways.
 
 Here is a slightly different loteria set because they don't have the riddles on the back of them, they just have plain plaid background, available here

Most of the ofrendas (decorative copper wall art shadow boxes with glass doors and interchangeable art cards) with my loteria art cards in them are at VintageToGoEasy here, in the category of religious artifacts or here in the category, handmade by me for you or at HoarderRehab in the category of Mexico to you, here.

All of my loteria art cards and mini art can be found at all 4 shops in every "Handmade by me for you," categories.

I am still new listing and relisting daily!  With a lot more coming soon!
Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 173 items, The Destiny of Things- 178 items, VintageToGoEasy - 177 items and JunkDrawerAndMore - 173 items.  
 
Maybe you'll find something to adopt and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
 I call this my deluxe loteria heart card art with loteria box for storage or to make into a DIY shrine or alter, available here
 
Related Stories:
 
See examples of Day of the Dead table centerpieces, cupcake toppers, wedding garland for place card seating and more here:  Day of the Dead Wedding Loteria Box Centerpiece Idea:  The Destiny of Things, Story 409
 
 
2.  Loteria Mexican Bingo Game Wedding Crafts:  The Destiny of Things, Story 188, here
3.  Day of the Dead skull beads cake topper:   The Destiny of Things:  Day of the Dead Calavera Skull Beads, Story V

 
Thank you readers from all over the world who continue to support my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things by taking part with your visits! 
 
 Happy and Healthy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment