Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Saint Catherine McAuley Medal of Sisters of Mercy: The Destiny of Things, Story 402

Saint Catherine McAuley Medal of Sisters of Mercy:  The Destiny of Things, Story 402

St Catherine McAuley is a difficult religious medal to find!

St Catherine McAuley is sold out, but more of my unusual religious medal collection is available here

Here is the email story I received:

Hello Kennedy,

I am not very savvy with social media, blogs, so I thought I would explain the destiny of the Catherine McAuley medal here. You are welcome to post it.


My daughter just began her freshman year at Merion Mercy Academy. It is a private, Catholic high school that is run by the Sisters of Mercy, founded by Catherine McAuley. She loves her new school and the story behind the Mercy values.


Recently, I have been on the hunt for unique religious medals to add to bracelets and give as gifts. When I googled Catherine McAuley and jewelry, your item on etsy appeared and I just had to have it .


I hope that you will be happy to know that your medal will be a gift to my daughter. I know that she will wear it proudly and love it for years to come.


Thank you! 


St Catherine McAuley is sold out, but more of my unusual religious medal collection is available here
 
Isn't that the coolest story!  I love milestone gifts like one she gave to her daughter.  My charm bracelets hold many memories in them and I'm sure hers will for many years to come also.
 
I have two charm bracelets.  A silver one started from childhood and a gold one started from high school.  The silver one hold souvenir charms from our favorite places and vacations, like Disneyland, Yosemite and more.  Our childhood favorite is  a photo of my brother and I in our Halloween costumes when we were just toddlers.

I hope they both carry such great memories with them too!

St Catherine McAuley is sold out, but more of my unusual religious medal collection is available here
 
Saying Goodbye:  My religious medal collection is still massive! even though so many of my religious medals have found new lives and homes. Back in the 80s, I think I was trying to collect every Saint possible!  Little did I know how many Saints exist. 

This is one of my favorites, it's a 7 Saint scapular pendant necklace, available here

What I Learned:

1.  I am a memory hoarder and many of my memories are held in my things from the past.  In the past, I've tried taking photos of the items and putting them in a journal, so I can let them go, but that didn't work out too well for me for some reason.  I started the journal in the 90s and it's lost somewhere in my hoard now!

2.  Speaking of religious medals and charm bracelets, I have a charm quilt that my mom made me for one of my milestone birthdays and it has pieces of cloth from so many of my family's clothes.  Each piece tells it's own story and holds it's own memories.  I cherish that quilt and can easily find pieces of my past, like my Grandmother's favorite dress, our childhood sheets, my mom's favorite bathing suit, aprons made as gifts one Christmas, my childhood embroidery, my dad's work shirts, my childhood clothes that got passed back and forth with cousins, clothes I sewed myself in high school and the list goes on. 

3.  I really don't know what to do with my massive religious medal collection, so many have found new homes, yet so many are still boxed up.  At least they are organized and can be found easily now.

I had big plans to make jewelry with them, but since I'm allergic to most metals now, I'm not sure how possible that is for me anymore.  Here is one example of what kind of jewelry I was going to assemblage.  It's from one of my favorite religious necklaces I used to wear all the time, until I became allergic to it!

This has found a new life, but I have one like it with 18 antique religious medals available here

Thank you Etsy buyer from The Destiny of Things for making a milestone heirloom charm bracelet for your daughter starting high school and sharing your story with me.  It brought back memories of my silver and gold charm bracelet.

I hope you both make new memories while remembering all the old ones when the bracelet is being worn!
 
Again, thank you for sharing your story as it really helps me stay on track with mine. I'd love to see her charm bracelet and already wonder what fond memories it must hold for her!
 
Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab ever!  And for all the kind people I'm meeting who are helping me indirectly and directly in so many ways with my Hoarder Rehab!  I've been gleaning so much insight about my hoarding ways!

Thank you readers from all over the world who continue to support my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things by taking part with your visits!
 
 Part of my milagro necklace collection, but this one is antique with at least 18 rosary parts and medals, most of them marked sterling, available here

I am still in Etsy burn out and am baffled as to what I should do about it.  Does it mean my dehoarding days are over?  Am I ready to dump it all at a donation center?  Am I ready for a new adventure? but what?

The position I was offered to join an educational children animation program kinda fizzled out when I heard "making lesson plans, recruiting teachers who want to make lesson plans and get paid with credit on the show, and finding teacher organizations that I could pitch the show too."

Unfortunately I've been retired from teaching for over 10 years, hmmm, maybe it's 15 and most of the teachers I knew are now retired too and I don't have any motivation to go talk with any teacher organizations that treat teachers like sheep!  besides, I am more of a behind the scenes type of person.

Well, my list for listing new items for each shop is starting to look like Santa's list rolling around all over the floor, so I hope we start photoing again this September.

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 177 items, The Destiny of Things- 180 items, VintageToGoEasy - 187 items and JunkDrawerAndMore - 181 items. 
 
Maybe you'll find something to adopt and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
 Antique red mercury bubble glass Crowned Miraculous Mary religious medal intaglio religious medal pendant jewelry reversible pendant, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab

Related Stories: about religious medals turning into the more beautiful!
 
1.  A Mighty Circular Destiny as Infinity Story:  The Destiny of Things XLIII:  Saint Christopher medal turned into a symbolic necklace for studies in Africa 
 
2.  Intentions for B. Maugerite Bourgeyeos Beatification Charm:  The Destiny of Things, Story XXVI : made into a beautiful bracelet for a daughter away at college
3.  Saint Patrick Trinity Clover:  for an Irish Rosary for St. Patty's Day
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Here is what I was doing with all my charms and milagros back in the 80s to 90s, Lover's heart cross, available here
Garden milagro charm cross, available here
 
"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." ---Pablo Picasso.  So difficult for me to do!  but a great goal to take baby steps towards daily! 
 
Thank you readers from all over the world who continue to support my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things by taking part with your visits! 

PS.  I ran out of time to put the most interesting information I like about Saint Catherine McAuley, but she was a teacher way ahead of her time.  Read about her on wiki here.

No comments:

Post a Comment