Friday, August 5, 2016

Sara Midda's South of France Sketch Book & Teachable Moments: Hoarder Rehab Inspiration or Desperation, Story 23

 
Sara Midda's South of France Sketch Book & Teachable Moments:  Hoarder Rehab Inspiration or Desperation, Story 23

Such a fun and inspirational book! And memories of my teaching lesson days!

144 pages of inspirational fun! Available here

Midda documents her year of travel through the south of France with sketches and her writings, mostly in watercolor.  She seems to take in everything!  And I mean everything!  She sketches the people, fruits, scenery, plants, pastries, breads, house numbers, vases, landscapes and the list goes on.  And she makes a lot of lists too!

Sara Midda spends a year exploring the south of France and documents it by month.  She must have traveled in the late 80s because the book was published in 1990.  Available here 

This is another book from my Mom's collection, the first one is here.  She sent this to me in a care package last month and I remember it from way back when, as it was being passed around during one of the holidays.  I have one aunt who was crazy for scrap booking long time ago one summer and she was just fawning over this book!  So we all did!

There are a lot of artists in my family and a lot of teachers looking for art and writing projects for student in their classrooms, so we came up with some lesson plans.  I did share this book with my students back in the 90s and they enjoyed it too!

Here is her table of contents, it starts in April and ends in March.  Each month has about 10 pages.  Available here 

In the classroom, we made our own books, like Midda's, but this would be a great example of how to use it in my daily writing journal too!

Her table of contents is in the photo above, but instead of the monthly table of contents, we made ours daily for a week and just took little exploring walks around everyday places to explore the uncommon discoveries in our common places, like our favorite recess areas, cafeteria seating, school library, etc.  Like Midda we were inspired to discover and document the little epiphanies and such in our day to day lives.

Homework was to capture something common, yet uncommon in your favorite spot in your neighborhood, home, bedroom or even if your favorite spot was in front of the television.

We didn't use watercolors as often as Midda did, but sketched with what was more handy, like pencils, crayons and markers.  I wish I would have saved some of those books now!



Midda's sampling of french labels.  We did our everyday school supplies.
Midda's book, available here 



We made a sampling of the tools we used for our books, like pens, crayons, markers, paints, etc.



Her writing is a not too easy to read, so I impressed on my students how important it is to write neatly, but since this was a personal journey that she decided to share later, it was already done.

Plus if it's so personal, it's for your eyes only and as long as you can read it, that's fine too.  Students love that kind of open mindedness!


This is a great lesson in journal writing and drawing for all students at any level because this book is not judgmental.  There is no right and wrong way to this adventure, except to write or draw about what appeals to you and all your little day to day discoveries of the uncommon joys in your everyday life and students love that!  

And if you prefer writing, write your little heart away and if you prefer drawing, this books shows many different way to express your style! 


And for those that like to start at the end of the book, that's okay too! because in her ending, even a little funny bone business goes along way!

Saying Goodbye:  Now that I've been reinspired by this book, it might not be so easy to let it go.  So many teaching memories in it, now that I've remembered them.
And I've started to get an itch to cut up this book!

Did I just say cut up this book?  On one hand it sounds fun, but on the other it sounds scary!

 This book has been used in the classroom and has seen better days, but it's still in decently good shape and still has the postcard that I think came with it.
Midda's book, available here 

What I Learned:

Hoarder Inspiration: There are so many reasons that I can't let go of my things and when I think about them, mainly it's because of the memories inside of my things, trigger so many different feelings, many of them conflicting.  I think it's the conflicting feelings I need to deal with because I think it's those feelings that lead me to hoard.

I hope I can soon dehoard by donating some of my items, instead of listing them all on Etsy because it's been over 3 years now and it's getting old.  I don't know if I'm burned out or ready to move on.  Only time will tell....

Hoarder Desperation:  I have so many projects I'd like to start in my head and some I've already started and are sitting in stacks!  However, my hoard is still interfering with my life by overcrowding my home and mind!

What is your biggest challenge this week?  Mine is wondering if I can actually donate some items without having a hoarder break down, huge regrets, fomo, fear of missing out and stress over making the right decisions and anxiety over running back and retrieving it all back!  Time to work on getting out of my comfort zone.

The condition of the book is listed in the description at the link below. Here is the postcard with it's matching page.  Students get a kick out of that too!  And it can become another art and writing spin off to another lesson!
Midda's book, available here 

I'll be listing new items tomorrow, if the M80s stop going off around here in the middle of the night and I can wake up at the crack of dawn! 

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 181 items, The Destiny of Things- 184 items, VintageToGoEasy - 188 items and JunkDrawerAndMore - 184 items.
 
Looks like several shop needs some new listings for next week!
 
Maybe you'll find something to adopt and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
 Another one of my inspirational books!
This is the best of the 2 copies of her book published by The National Museum of Women in the Arts, from January 1992, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab
Story on this blog, here with lots of photo sharing!
 
Related Stories:  I've been attempting smaller projects until I can get to and find my rag hoard to finish my Inner City Alphabet Quilt, but lately I've been too tired to do much of anything.  I have been mending some, but I don't think anyone really wants to see that!
 
2. Not a huge rip in my favorite jeans!  Before pix  Mending as a Creative Outlet, Story 1   
 
3.  Other Hoarder Inspiration or Hoarder Desperation on this blog, here
 

"A stitch a day keeps the hoard away."---Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things  Now if I can only get myself to start that one stitch!  Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment