Monday, May 20, 2013

Pope Pius X Canonization Medals: The Destiny of Things, Story LXXVII

Pope Pius X Canonization Medals:  The Destiny of Things, Story LXXVII

I was browsing on Etsy and  I found one of my items recreated into something more beautiful!


Interestingly, Sylvia had the other Pope Pius X religious medal for 10 years.  I've had mine for over 20 years and they came together to make these beautiful earrings here, at her Etsy shop, ChicFragments.

These medals are reversible and she used the other side of the Blessed Virgin Mary on heavenly clouds, attended by angels beneath to make her beautiful one of a kind earrings!  She also used Pikake flower hand carved beads to add a Renaissance design style.


Saying Good-bye:  My religious medal collection is extensive, it is much easier to let them go now than it was in the beginning.  Although I haven't listed my favorites, which are either aluminum or plastic, nor have I listed ones that I have in duplicates of over 5.  Not many seem to be interested in the aluminum or plastic, so I may keep them for some art in repetition projects.

At last count I have140+ religious medals listed and sold, with many more to be added to each shop weekly.  Many of them I started collecting in the 80s and by the 90s family and friends were collecting them for me.  I have one more Pope Pius X religious medal charm like the one used in the earrings here.

I was going to use them during my religious folk art period, but went on to collecting vintage textiles for quilting.   Some of my religious folk art can be viewed here, at the Etsy shop, The Destiny of Things.

What I Learned:

1.  It's so exciting to see what other creatives do with my hoard!  The transformation is amazing and I'm so happy to see their new lives and know they are making a lot of different people happy too!

2.  Some history about Pope Pius X:

1954 commemorated the Pope's canonization! "SANCTVS PIVS X" in Latin. 

June 2, 1835: He was born into poverty as Giuseppe Melchiorre Sarto, in Riese, Italy. Due to his holiness and intellectual aptitude, he was given a scholarship to attend the seminary at Padua.

In 1858, he was ordained a priest and became chaplain at Tombolo. He was well loved and highly successful. In 1867, he became arch-priest of Salzano. Made bishop in 1879. Made cardinal by Pope Leo XIII. From 1903-1914, he was the 257th Pope of the Catholic Church.

He was responsible for lowering the age for the reception of communion, restored beauty to the liturgy, re-instated Gregorian Chant, upheld the role of the Church in state, and was a scourge of modernism in all of its forms. He was the first pope to be canonized since Pope St. Pius V and no other pope has been canonized since.


3.  Religious history has become more interesting to me since I've been dispersing my hoard of religious artifacts and I hope to learn more and see more creative endeavors concerning them, especially with Saints.

Thank you Sylvia from ChicFragments for transforming a piece of my hoard into unrecognizably beautiful one of kind earrings!  Also, the Pikake flower bead is like a bracelet that is still lost in my hoard from my childhood, so that keeps me motivated to keep digging in it!  

I found her shop, long before she purchased the Pope medals, when browsing for Lalique and found her simple yet beautiful Lalique Muguet here!  Thank you Sylvia for making such unique elegant jewelry!

Thank you Etsy for everything you've started and helping to transform my life on this amazing journey!

Thank you US, UK, Germany, Canada, Hungary, Poland, Russia, Australia and France for your visits over the weekend and joining me in my Hoarder RehabThe Destiny of Things via VintageToGoetsy!  Visit my collection of religious medals by clicking on any of the links to all three of my Etsy shops!

Other stories about Religious Medals turned into the more beautiful:

1.  A Mighty Circular Destiny as Infinity Story:  The Destiny of Things XLIII:  Saint Christopher medal turned into a symbolic necklace for studies in Africa
2.  Intentions for B. Maugerite Bourgeyeos Beatification Charm:  The Destiny of Things, Story XXVI : made into a beautiful bracelet for a daughter away at college

3.  Saint Patrick Trinity Clover:  for an Irish Rosary for St. Patty's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment