Friday, November 8, 2013

Red Egg and Ginger Party and My Chinese Paper Lanterns: The Destiny of Things, Story #130

Red Egg and Ginger Party and My Chinese Paper Lanterns:  The Destiny of Things, Story #130

Another short note about a theme party!  I love these!

photo via Hoarder Rehab:  red honey comb paper lanterns, available here

An Etsy buyer emailed saying these were the perfect decorations for her daughter's "Red Egg and Ginger Party!"  I love it!

A Red Egg and Ginger Party is a traditional Chinese celebration for infants who are one month old, but some celebrate to up to three months old. (and don't think you have to be Chinese to celebrate!)

In ancient times, it is life celebration for the new baby and a name was given at one month due to low mortality rates in China.  Both baby and mother rested and stayed inside for a month to rest, gain strength and not be introduced to outside germs, but now it's more of a formal celebration to introduce and welcome a new baby, as well as reintroduce the mother if she followed the tradition of a month of rest and isolation.

 photo via Hoarder Rehab:  red honey comb paper lanterns, available here

What is the meaning of the Red Egg and Ginger?

As in most Chinese celebrations red represents happiness and good luck.  Just like in American culture, eggs signify fertility and renewal of life. The shape of eggs stand for unity and harmony and a newborn brings all of that with them.

Ginger is important because it signifies the yang or nutritional hotness of a mother's needs who may have too much yin, which is tired and weak after giving birth.

Instead of passing out the traditional cigars as is an old American tradition, the Chinese culture would give an odd number of eggs if a boy was born and an even number for girls.

Traditionally, a gift of "Lysee" or lucky money would be given to boys and expensive jewelry to girls.  Other popular gifts are clothing and items with a tiger design because in the Chinese culture tigers are king of all animals and are believed to protect children from danger.

The family celebrates with guests and a banquet dinner with delicacies and may be given a traditional red egg when leaving.

photo via Hoarder Rehab:  red honey comb paper lanterns, available here

Saying Goodbye:  Again I'm getting down to my last few of these or so I think because I know I have some Chinese New Year Dragons that go with these, but I haven't found them yet, so maybe there's more red lanterns too!

I have my own stash of these saved from the ones that didn't make the grade, like the ones seen in the picture that some how faded in their packaging in a box over the years or detached copper wiring to hold them closed.

I just love these because they are so eco friendly due to folding flat for easy storage and can be easily used over and over for almost any festive celebration in red!


photo via Hoarder Rehab:  red honey comb paper lanterns, available here


What I Learned:

1.  The Chinese I know like new things and aren't too crazy about vintage items, so many of my things are outta the question to reuse, especially for celebrations!

So here are the lanterns I found for the little ones who's birthdays are towards the end of the year and may be reused for the holiday season!

photo via Hoarder Rehab:  LED battery operated green paper lanterns, here

                                               photo via Hoarder Rehab:  LED battery operated pink paper lanterns, here

I think these are so versatile that I'm already using the ones I damaged or had slight flaws.  They are quite portable, like a flashlight and can either hang or stand.  They have an off and on switch too!  One is hanging in my closet and the other is on my nightstand when I wake up before the crack of dawn to find my way around without disturbing others with bright lights.  I haven't tried it out for bed time reading yet.

Here's what they look like lit:

photo via Hoarder Rehab:  LED battery operated green paper lanterns, here


You can see the green one on the shelf standing by itself and the rest hanging


photo via Hoarder Rehab:  LED battery operated pink paper lanterns, here


These are eco friendly too.  The batteries are easily taken out and the lantern can fold down by removing the inside plastic piece that keeps it open and stored in a zip lock bag until the next celebration!  I love stuff that can have a long life and be used over and over!

What is your most eco friendly prized possession?  Off the top of my head, either my salsa garden that's still thriving or my hand crank power generator multi function AM/FM radio, TV - VHF with weather channels, Flashlight with Emergency siren and cell phone charger all in one little compact cute thing ma jig with rechargeable battery pack and AC adapter! by Eton - FR300

 photo via Etron FR300 Weather Review, here!

Thank you Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab for letting me know that they are perfect for your daughter's Red Egg and Ginger party!

Thank you Etsy for another happy sale and connection with a kind Etsyian letting me know the destiny of my things!

Thank you US, China, UK, Canada, Congo (DCR), Germany, Japan, and Venezuela for visits the past few days and supporting my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things!

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things and VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 91 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will be listing 1-3 new things there daily and 1-2 items at the other shops!  Thanks for stopping by and looking!  Feel free to drop a line!

Related Stories:

1.  Alternative Chinese New Year's party instead of back to back Christmas to New Year's Eve parties!  Read about it here!  This is actually four stories in one!  A Chinese themed wedding, photo prop and gifts to pass out and how she stylizes them even more!

Most Read Story of the WeekDistressed Alphabet Stamp Set of 30:  The Destiny of Things, Story #128

Most Read Story of the MonthUPDATE:  In the Tree House for Halloween Scary Stories, The Destiny of Things, Story #124  

All Time Read Story So FarMy Louis Vuitton Collection: the end of my collection is the beginning for someone else.  The last piece of my LV collection, my 80s LV gold cornered wallet is available here at The Destiny of Things! 

No comments:

Post a Comment