Monday, October 28, 2013

Spooky Tooth Lockets - Halloween Candy Alternatives: The Destiny of Things, Story #125

Spooky Tooth Lockets - Halloween Candy Alternatives:  The Destiny of Things, Story #125

Short and simple message went a long way for me!  Thank you!

photo via Hoarder Rehab, Spooky Tooth Lockets, available here!

It just said:

"Perfect for spooky treats!  Thank you!"

 photo via Hoarder Rehab, Spooky Tooth Lockets, available here!

Those sentences got me thinking.... Are these alternatives to Halloween candy?  or is a tiny candy going to put in side?  Then my mind went on and on about how to make these spookier!  The red already looks like stringy red fleshy stuff.  The green could be gross decaying stringy stuff.  

Tooth decay could be drawn in with a black Sharpie and added fresh from the grave look with dirt (Oreo cookie crumbles) a black sharpie with bugs and worms crawling out too!  Blood could be drawn on and cotton or cotton candy for torn and hanging gum tissue, like it was just pulled out of a ghoul!

Gold and silver crowns, etc... a whole set of false teeth!

Black or glow in the dark cord could be switched out for the necklace.  It could be a pre Halloween Night craft activity!  With making up spooky teeth tales, talks over interesting facts of teeth and bones, even dental hygiene importance, etc...

Anyways...

photo via Hoarder Rehab, Spooky Tooth Lockets, available here!

I usually put a heart pony bead inside in boy and girl colors, unless someone let's me know how they are going to be used before I send them.  If I know it's going to be an all boy party favor, I put skull pony beads inside them.  I think they are going to adults I sometimes, I put little fortune cookie fortunes in them.  I always put something in them because that's how I check to make sure they aren't faulty before I send them out.

You can spook out kids and perhaps some adults by telling them someone's dead or alive tooth is inside it and rattle it right in front of them!  And then say, "you open it and find out if it's dead or alive!" and toss it at them!  That's what my friend Ali and her daughter did with her kids.  They thought I had left some teeth in them and had quite a hoot about it!


Saying Goodbye:  I hope I never have to say goodbye to these!  I have a stash saved for myself with only a few ideas on what I might make with them!  I do like the thought that these are going to be spooky treats and would like to know the outcome as Halloween candy treat alternatives.

Which reminds me.... back in the late 70s my Mom had us pass out toothbrushes for alternative Halloween treats!  The kids at the door looked so distraught, shocked and bewildered and then kinda upset angry as they turned to leave!  

Many gave them back, even after I would quickly try to conceal it in my hand and drop it in their bags!  They'd fish them right back out faster than spit!  The older kids were worse and I thought for sure our house was going to get toilet papered or egged! 

I don't remember hearing any "thank yous" except from a few parents, who said consoling things like, "now you won't get cavities from all the Halloween candy" and "good toothbrushes are expensive"

Needless to say, my mom let us pass out candy every Halloween from then on.

However, there was this one time when I was so frazzled from teaching that I had totally forget it was Halloween to the outside world and had spent all my time and energy on Halloween for my classroom.  I was too tired to go buy candy and since I don't eat it didn't have any in the house, so I was at a loss.

At the time, I had just moved into a house that had over 40 stairs to climb to get to the front door.  The only person I knew in the area was another teacher who I knew was just as exhausted as me!  So I didn't think anyone would come knocking and I kept the entry light off too!

Just my luck, someone did come knocking and knocking and knocking! They knocked longer than my ignoring! So I answered the door and there were three cute little third grade aged kids all costumed to the hilt with flashlights!  I told them I didn't have any candy and they groaned and I got the funny feeling like when I had passed out toothbrushes that my house might get egged or worse!

So I told them to hang on a second and went to my teacher bag and got my leftover body parts from teaching Halloween Death Anatomy and let them choose from the box.  And left and bought candy.

The body parts were better than candy!  I had kids and lots of teenagers coming and asking if I was the lady passing out body parts!  They didn't want the candy!  I would offer them the candy and most would say, No, we heard you are passing out body parts!  

I think they must have loved them because I remember some of them taking so long to decide which ones to choose and asked for two!  Others tried to come back for more helping of body parts!  Needless to say I didn't get much rest, but it sure was worth seeing their faces when I opened the box!

I am still amazed by that story I had forgotten, so there is hope now for better alternatives to Halloween candy! (and my hoard alternatives)  Here are the few that I still have saved from leaving some on my teacher desk that day!

photo via The Destiny of Things

What I Learned:

1.  It never fails to amaze me how times change and mostly for the better too!  I am so thankful and reminded that although change might take a long time, it is hopeful and worth it!  Look at my hoard, over 480 items have found new homes!

2.  It never fails to amaze me how a little sentence goes along way to conjuring up memories that help me let go of things, instead of hoarding them for reasons unknown to me.

3.  It never fails to amaze me how little by little I am learning to manage my stress release better by finding alternatives to shopping, buying and hoarding! Then later guilt and buyer's remorse set in causing more stress and creating my hoarder viscous cycle!

Side Note to Self:  Although I have gone on a wee tad shopping spree for my alternative hobbies for hoarding, at least it has come to my attention that  I can't go in the opposite direction and feel guilty every time I buy something and must come to terms and figure this out with some intended balance!  That is a whole other posting!

What never fails to amaze you?  Loving the present from the past!  Let me know yours in comments!

Thank you Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab for leaving me a short and short message that brought back some long lost mega memories for me!

Thank you Etsy for the endless connections from kind strangers, acquaintances to even full on friendships who are helping me with my HoarderRehab adventures!

Thank you US, United Arab Emirates, France and other countries who visited over the weekend to support my Hoarder Rehab and  The Destiny of Things!

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily at: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things, VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 81 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will be listing 1-3 new things there daily and 1-2 items at the other shops!  Thanks for looking! 

Spooky tooth lockets, fairy tooth lockets, toothy tooth lockets can be ordered here and here!  Pirate treasure chests for little tooth keepsakes can be ordered here and here!

Related Stories:
1.  For a good old fashioned Halloween party without candy in a tree house, read here!

2.  These shipped out ASAP for a loose tooth! Read about it here

3.  A mother hunts down these tooth lockets for her daughter's presentation here!  with updates and pics!

4.  Tooth locket story from a fellow teacher for a family of loose teeth, click here!

5.  These plastic tooth lockets maybe molds to make sterling jewelry at an Etsy shop, here!


7.  Update on Miswak, here, yes I still love it and use it twice daily.  New update coming in Nov!

Sorry this is so long and unedited, the cold finally caught up to me over the weekend and I slept today in to rid of it.  I have no filter and no time left!

No comments:

Post a Comment