Friday, June 10, 2016

Upcycled Patched Boro Style T-shirt: The Destiny of Things, Story 387

Upcycled Patched Boro Style T-shirt:  The Destiny of Things, Story 387

An Etsy buyer found inspiration from something I made!  Yippee!

This upcycled patched t-shirt has sold, but some other patches are available here
photo via JunkDrawerAndMore, other patches at Hoarder Rehab

Here is the note:

Note from Buyer It's just the cutest little thing! I had to have it :-) for inspiration. I'm an avid recycling sewer+ too...  

How exciting that one of my handmade things is inspiring someone to continue their recycling sewing projects.  I would LOVE to see which recycling projects mine have inspired.
And such a compliment!  "cutest little thing! I had to have it:)"  Those words will keep me going and going to continue my mending and to start more upcycling clothes projects!!!!!  Thank you Etsy buyer from the bottom of my heart!

This upcycled patched t-shirt has sold, but some other patches are available here
photo via JunkDrawerAndMore, other patches at Hoarder Rehab

I use these patches on my own clothes that I have been mending for the past several years, so if you would like one similar to the ones above, let me know and I'll list them at my shops. 

I've been experimenting with mending patches for several years now and have several patches (okay, may patches) ready to mend my own clothes.  I usually just rip into some boro cloth I have into squares and embroider scribbles and lines on them and as when my clothes need a patch I just use one of my pre-made ones and sew it on by adding a border and filling in the scribbles.

The above t-shirt is such a sample decorative patch experiment from the beginning because it's boro or recycled cloth and the black mending thread and red embroidery floss is vintage and this was my experiment to see how well the patch would unravel and if the vintage embroidery floss was color stay.  All of it was color stay.

This upcycled patched t-shirt has sold, but some other patches are available here
photo via JunkDrawerAndMore, other patches at Hoarder Rehab

Saying Goodbye:  I was actually so happy and excited to see this piece leave because it went to someone who truly appreciates and will use it for her ongoing projects as inspiration.  I hope when she gets it, she loves it even more!

I've been mending my favorite clothes for many years now because due to my allergies, I can only wear 100% cotton, silk or some type of wool without having a bad reaction.  It seems that many of the new clothes today are no longer 100% cotton or mixed blends with synthetics.   

Actually I prefer used clothes, but thrift shop clothes seem to have a strong perfume on them now and it takes too many washes for the scent to go away.  Even new and used clothes I've bought online have had a strong scent to them that I'm so allergic too, it takes months of washing before I can wear them.

Here are my other DIY mending patches available here.  I tried to make these more commercialized style, except for the large one to the far left.  I use the falling flowers patches on my clothes a lot and often have a difficult time deciding to patch them on the front or the inside of my clothes.  The curly haired Sun Goddess I made years ago is now vintage. 

What I Learned:

1.  I basically use my own rags, stained doilies and my favorite, cloth I have that I can rip up to mend my clothes because I like to watch the patches disintegrate over time and then re-patch them. I know, what can I say? I don't know what to say either, but at least it keeps me busy and for some reason keeps me from hoarding! So I'm going with the flow and seeing where this dehoarding experiment takes me!

2.  I have found that selling handmade on Etsy is not easy, but not impossible.  I think because more buyers might be interested in vintage rather than handmade, but I'm not sure.  Maybe I need to find the right audience for handmade, but I'm not quite sure how to do that either, but i don't mind experimenting and learning, so perhaps this posting will inspire me to use my time differently now!

3.  Otherwise I'll just keep plugging along dehoarding and using my free time to recover my health, organizing my hoard and my art projects.

4.  I am very thankful to those who take the time to send me their stories with kindness of why they are purchasing my hoard and giving my much loved items new lives and homes.  I am also so very grateful for the kind words and inspirations from those that love my handmade goods and find their own inspiration in them which in turn continues to fuel mine.

Who inspires you to be creative today?  Mine are all the kind Etsy buyers who send me little notes about my handmade items or stories I can use on this blog.

 My handmade boro style patch badge brooch pins, available here
photo via Hoarder Rehab 

Thank you Etsy buyer from JunkDrawerAndMore for leaving me such kind compliments and inspiration in my "note to buyer."  I hope it brings you many years of fun and inspiration.  And whenever I need continued inspiration and motivation, I will remember your kind note with compliments!
 
Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab ever!  And for all the kind people I'm meeting who are helping me indirectly and directly in so many ways with my Hoarder Rehab!  I've been gleaning so much insight about my hoarding ways!

Thank you readers from all over the world who continue to support my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things by taking part with your visits!
 
 This is one of my mending patch experiments with the patch on the outside.  These shorts also have the falling flower patches on the inside too.  The quote says, "The Earth sings to those that listen."  Make one like it yourself with this patch here
photo via one of my blog posts here

I'm still in a little rut and not quite sure what I need to do to get out of it yet, but I'm relisting daily and hopefully will new list items this week.  Perhaps this posting has given me a new direction to spend my time and get out of my rut.
 
Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 180 items, The Destiny of Things- 175 items, VintageToGoEasy - 178 items and JunkDrawerAndMore - 175 items.
 
Maybe you'll find something to adopt and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
 Here are some of my pre made boro free style mending patches, I have on hand ready to patch up my clothes, let me know and I'll list some for you.  It'll be good for me, maybe I'll finally list something new at my shops and get out of this rut!
photo via my blog post here

Related Stories:

 
 
 
 
I'm not sure what happened to Mending Ways, Story 4, but mending does seem to be the longest surviving alternative to my hoarding ways!  And I've tried a lot of other art forms to take the time of my hoarding, but mending has seem to stuck!

Happy Friday!  Thank you for taking part in my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things!

No comments:

Post a Comment