Monday, January 19, 2015

Vintage Hagen Renaker Animal Figurines: The Destiny of Things, Story 268

Vintage Hagen Renaker Animal Figurines:  The Destiny of Things, Story 268

As a child I would spend my entire weekly allowance on Hagen Renaker ceramic figurines!

photo via VintageToGoEasy
more Hagen Renaker and other figurines here

I'm not sure how my childhood love for miniatures began and I don't remember which miniature collections came first, but I loved them all equally!  I had/have mini collections of sample perfumes, animal figurines and my dollhouse collections.  I not only collected shells, but miniature shells as well!  Some where in my hoard I have a sand dollar the size of a dime!

photo via VintageToGoEasy
more Hagen Renaker and other figurines here

The other half of my mini perfume collection is on display in the guest bathroom at my parent's house and so is the my Grandmother's and Aunts animal figurine collection which are mainly in family's of 3 and are either Shiken bone china or Kelvin and were made in Japan.

There are a lot of Hagen Renaker knock offs out there and personally some of them I like better!  I also used to collect Redball hand blown glass animal figurines.  I've included photos of my favorites towards the end of this posting.

photo via VintageToGoEasy
more Hagen Renaker and other figurines here

I was so happy to hear that "this is perfect for a Hagen Renaker collector!" and it went on to it's new life and new home!

Hagen Renaker has been around for 70 years, since 1945 and is still in business today.  They are a family owned company located in California.  John and Maxine Renaker started out in their garage in Culver City.  Each one is ceramic and handcrafted.  I remember them glued on a little square piece of paper and costing anywhere from 15 cents to a quarter. 

Here is a link to their site.  If you are interested in how it was named Hagen Renaker and more history about the company, the link here is interesting and shows photos of their factory today.

photo via VintageToGoEasy
more Hagen Renaker and other figurines here

Saying Goodbye:  Through practice and immersing myself into letting go of several hundred of my hoarded items, it's been mostly painless now to send off something to it's new life, but it hasn't always been that way!  I used to have small panic attacks with sadness and seller's remorse quite often, but haven't had one lately.

Is that due to get used to it or perhaps one of my dear heartfelt items hasn't sold yet?  It's so hard to know until it happens!

What I Learned:

1.  I haven't had time to count lately, but I think I'm close or past letting go of 1000 hoarded items! and I think I'm about half way through my hoard.

2.  It's been a roller coaster journey with scary emotions, long lost memories and buried dreams erupting to the surface of my present life.  So much of my hoard is connected and tied up to my past, like a big impossible knotted up ball of who knows what that can only be cut up to unravel.

3.  Conscious dehoarding has brought much joyous insightful progress and includes what feels like mile long setbacks, but now my dehoarding seems to have leveled off and I feel more grounded about it.  I've also taken notice of my retail therapy patterns and which triggers can lure me back into a hoarding vicious cycle.

4.  I've been trying different creative outlets to help me find alternatives to hoarding.  Some work better than others.

5.  Overall, 2015 is full of positive possibilities towards my Hoarder Rehab and better health!

I haven't been able to find another one like this retired Hagen Renaker Mama Rabbit 
from spring 1976-fall 1977 in gloss white
 photo via VintageToGoEasy, available here


Thank you Etsy and Etsy buyers for your continued support by sending your stories.  I never know how your story is going to help me with mine until I start writing the post!  Even just tidbits of information from here and there, keep me focused and I find them so interesting and fun!  Thank you so much!
I think this little critter bandit is still retired because Hagen Renaker seems to be reissue some.
The happy gnome is from my Grandmother's collection.
 photo via VintageToGoEasy, available here

Thank you readers from all over the world for supporting my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things !  Your visits are much appreciated!
 One of my favorite Hagen Renaker knock offs of the Whispering Rabbit Family
Bone china bunny rabbit by Shiken, made in Japan
available here with matching pink flower

My new goal is to list something new weekly at each shop until I reach 200 at least three shops! 

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily or weekly: HoarderRehab with 192 items, The Destiny of Things- 186 items , VintageToGoEasy - 191 items and now JunkDrawerAndMore - 148 items!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!

Each shop has a handful of animal figurines, just do a search in each shop under the shop banner where it says, "search in this shop" and have fun seeing what you can find! 

 More favorite animal figurines!
My Grandmother and Aunt also had a collection of hand blown glass figurines,
made in Japan by Redball Brand.  I just loved them too and was allowed to keep one in my pocket!
photo via VintageToGoEasy, available here


Related Stories:

1.  This was very painful to let go!  It's not Hagen Renaker, but a favorite squeaky frog puppet:  The Destiny of Things:  Freddie the Frog Puppet, Story XII

2.  Story of the one thing I couldn't let go:  Not My Childhood Kanzashi!  The Destiny of Things, Story 154

3.  Story from my mini perfume collection:  Mini Tribu Perfume Sample Bottle:  The Destiny of Things, Story 213  


 Here is a hand blown glass animal figurine with a Redball sticker
photo via VintageToGoEasy, available here 
I also have a smaller deer in pink, request it and I'll list it asap.

"There are no limits, except for those that we impose on ourselves." ---Dr. Walter Bishop on Fringe.

No comments:

Post a Comment