Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Boardwalk Empire Patriotic Crowns: The Destiny of Things, Story 230

Boardwalk Empire Patriotic Crowns:  The Destiny of Things, Story 230

On July 4th someone asked if they could just order some of these:

photo via The Destiny of Things,
other half is available here

As a recovering hoarder, I was so curious as to how someone was going to use these after the 4th of July, so I just had to ask....

photo via The Destiny of Things,
other half is available here

and I receive this reply:

I just plan to decorate with them for 4th of July. I don't have a lot of decorations for that holiday...

You know me... I'd love to see how these are used as 4th of July decor and perhaps will see how they are used next year!

photo via The Destiny of Things,
the other 6 are available here

I had a huge amount of these for patriotic parades and assemblies for my students.  They loved to wear these for special events and it was a good way for me to keep track of them more easily.

photo via The Destiny of Things,
other half is available here

Saying Goodbye:  I don't know how I ended up with so much of my teacher destash, especially patriotic items for children, like US flag erasers, US flag cupcake toppers, US flag stickers, US flag pins and US flag pocket clips!  Click here to see them all!

I am thankful they are 80s to 90s vintage and I will be even more thankful when they all find new homes!  I think I might speed the process and start putting some in my "thank you" packaging.  

What I Learned:

1.  Is this the first time I feel slightly impatient about my hoard not leaving fast enough?  That's never happened before, usually I am very patient and can wait "years" before something of mine on Etsy finds a new life.  Maybe my progress has been accumulating slowly but surely, even though on most days I don't recognize it.

2.  These patriotic crowns remind me of flapper days and I can just imagine Lucy Danzinger from Boardwalk Empire wearing one of these as she jumps out of a cake singing the Star Spangled Banner.

What do you use as decoration for patriotic holidays?  Nothing fancy, but I usually put US flag toothpicks in planters around the house, in a fruit salad of strawberries and blueberries, cheese blocks and deviled eggs.

photo via The Destiny of Things,
available here

I think I'll start putting my patriotic destash in my "thank you" packaging that comes with an order.  When is the next patriotic holiday?

List of Patriotic Holidays:

1.  Martin Luther King, Jr. Day takes place on third Monday of January each year, near the time of Dr. King's birthday on January 15th. It commemorates the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., a reverend and civil rights activist who lead the African-American civil rights movement in the United States. He is best known for his inspirational "I Have a Dream" speech, delivered at the March on Washington in 1963. His birthday was established as a national holiday in 1986, but was not celebrated in all 50 states until 2000.

2.  Washington's Birthday was established as a federal holiday in 1885. It celebrates the life and contributions of George Washington, first president of the United States and general of the American Revolution. In some states, the holiday is expanded to also commemorate President Abraham Lincoln's birthday, and is thus referred to as "President's Day". It occurs on the third Monday of February, near both presidents' birthdays.

3.  Celebrated on the last Monday of May, Memorial Day commemorates men and women who have died serving the United States. It was first instituted to remember soldiers who died in the Civil War, and was originally called "Decoration Day" because of the tradition of decorating soldiers' graves.

4.  Independence Day marks the adoption by the first Continental Congress of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. Every July 4th, Americans celebrate this federal holiday with parades, fireworks, games, and patriotic music, following Thomas Jefferson's injunction that,
"It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more."

5.  Labor Day:  first Monday in September and is a celebration of the American labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of their country.

6.  Constitution Day is celebrated on September 17th, memorializing the date that the Constitution was signed in 1787. Previously known as "Citizenship Day", it became an official federal holiday called "Constitution Day" in 2004. On this day, students learn about the constitution, the rights it ensures, and related issues in American government and history. 

7.  The Tuesday following the first Monday of November is Election Day, when ballots are cast for elected officials. The first presidential election to occur simultaneously on this day took place in 1848, and the House of Representatives election was moved to take place on the same date in 1872. Voting that takes place on the same date throughout the country prevents earlier elections from affecting later ones. 

8.  Veterans Day is celebrated on November 11th and commemorates all veterans of the US military. A federal holiday, it occurs on November 11th to memorialize the Armistice which ended World War I on that date in 1918. It was proclaimed a holiday by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1954. 

9.  December 15th is Bill of Rights Day, celebrating the addition of the Bill of Rights to the U.S. Constitution on that day in 1791. This holiday celebrates the freedoms and rights that the Bill of Rights preserve for Americans. In 1941, on the 150th anniversary of the ratification of the Bill of Rights, President Franklin D. Roosevelt declared the date a federal holiday. 

Got a little carried away with the next patriotic holiday!

Thank you Etsy buyer for relieving my hoarder curiousity!

Thank you Etsy for helping me find new lives and better homes for 799 hoarded items!

Thank you US, Germany, Ukraine, Finland, France and others for taking part in my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!   

 sample of "thank you" package with any order
photo via The Destiny of Things, available here
   
Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 182 items ,  The Destiny of Things-192 items , VintageToGoEasy - 170 items and now JunkDrawerLove - 165 items!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!

Related Stories:  

1. These went into a pinata as filler for a little girl's bi country birthday:   US Flag Erasers:  The Destiny of Things, Story XCV  


"The more we sweat in peace, the less we bleed in war." -- Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit

2 comments:

  1. The patriotic crowns will make a cute and fun addition to your "Thank you" envelopes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crowns are a little big for the "Thank you" extras, but the little US flags might work! What do you think?

    ReplyDelete