Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Nesting Frog Cycle Toy Collector: The Destiny of Things, Story 332

Nesting Frog Cycle Toy Collector:  The Destiny of Things, Story 332

Just this morning, this little frog family came with a fun email story!

 Vintage frog cycle toy, available here

Here is the email:

Hi there!

Thank you again for the order. It's a pretty cute and unique toy. I also love that you included little surprises with it, and noticed how you nested the nesting toy with many little bags within. That was fun and did not go unappreciated.

I bought this particular item, not for myself but for a friend. She is a HUGE frog collector, and we are both fans and collectors of little figurines, trinkets, mystery boxes, blind grab bags, weird cutesy stuff, etc. So this was absolutely perfect. Her Birthday isn't until August but I figured I should swoop this up now before it's too late. Too many times I have come across something fantastic on Etsy and waited too long to purchase it, before it was gone forever.

I'm excited to give this to her. Even before I added this item to my cart, I imagined her opening it, and her first thought being, "cute frog figurine", but then me getting to tell her to "open it up!" and then ANOTHER smaller frog figurine inside?! but wait keep going!! She is going to love it. And out of all the frog stuff I and others have given her over the years I can pretty much bet this will be the best and most creative gift. And as much as I would love to keep the fortune teller miracle fish for myself (I've never seen these before!) I know that she will get a kick out of it more so.

So once again thank you for not just making this a purchase, but an experience... multiple experiences! I wish you well and keep up the fun!

Thank you
tHank you
thAnk you
thaNk you
thanK you
thank You
thank yOu
thank yoU
THANK YOU

 Vintage frog cycle toy, available here

And what perfect timing!  I really needed a huge pick me up today because I am under the weather with muscle aches and a headache and just feel like crawling back into bed and napping all day!  I was dragging myself around wondering if I'd blog post today when this email came for me!

I am so thankful when someone takes the time to let me know they noticed all the little things and it makes them happy too!  Who doesn't love such a nice surprise!

It's so fun to think about how this toy is going to be enjoyed by at least two more people.  From the third paragraph, I can't tell who is going to be happier, the giver or recipient!  I so wish I could be a fly on the wall this coming August!  And the bonus is as a recovering hoarder who has collected way too many things, I just love it when my stuff goes to a collector because I know it's going to savored forever!

Unfortunately, as a recovering hoarder, I am a HUGE collector of little figurines, trinkets, and weird cutesy stuff too, however I am not of fan of mystery boxes and blind grab bags.... I have to know what I'm getting because I've gotten too many dud mystery grab bags.  However, I did just buy some surprise balls, so I'll see.

Also as a recovering hoarder who loves and has to have lots of trinkets and weird cutesy stuff and one day hopes to organize it all to use in my mixed media art, I know how much it hurts when I don't buy something and it's gone forever!!!!!  It just happened to me yesterday and I've been trying to figure out why it makes me so FOMO crazed sad.  It used to be worse, so I'm hoping that "the fear of missing out" crazed sadness will become less and less now that I'm conscious of my hoarding ways and with time I won't even give the "lost buy" a second thought.  Immersion therapy works for me.

 Educational frog cycle toy, available here

Saying Goodbye:  I had so many of these and other frog stuff because it's a third grade standard to study the cycles of nature, one of them being the frog cycle, but that year my students insisted on studying dinosaurs!  That was when theme teaching was the rage.

Anyways, I have several of these saved for my art and there are only a few left, so I feel all right with letting these go, but I'll see what happens when the last one moves on.  I just love those wiggle eyes!

 Educational frog cycle toy, available here

What I Learned:

1.  I usually don't nap because of my insomnia, but my insomnia has disappeared and I can't keep my eyes open at the time I usually blog, so I guess I'm catching up on several decades of lost sleep.  I even tried to solve the problem by blogging two hours earlier, but I still fell asleep and still slept like a rock at night.  So I'm back logged with stories to post.

2.  Last winter holidays were less stressful for me, but I still ended up going on a retail therapy spree and bought lots of little trinkets, cutesy weird stuff and my other favorite paper.... religious paper, Dresdens, Victorian scraps and any other things that catches my fancy for my mixed media art.  I did better than the year before, but my minimalist organic house dream with a 2nd room for music and art is a work in progress.

At least when other stressful events happen during the year, I don't usually turn to instant hoard buying gratification anymore.  I know now that my stress starts with autumn holidays and then by Christmas it builds up until I turn to the easiest way for me to manage the anxiety!  Shop til I drop!  

Only time will tell what happens next year!

3.  I hope to focus more on my "me" this year, instead of my hoard.  It's been quite an interesting and fun Etsy adventure learning everything from computer skills, online retail business, USPS domestic and international shipping regulations, Etsy lingo and all the details that go with the Etsy world.  Thank you Etsy!

Frog pouch I never got to use for my theme teaching, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

Thank you Etsy buyer from JunkDrawerAndMore for taking the time to email and share your story and for letting me know you appreciate all the little things.  Your story brought me such insight today and reminders to focus on myself with less dehoarding and even less retail therapy. 
 
And thank you for the kindest compliment of how this was an experience and not just a purchase!  I've heard that before when someone said my packaging was like a little experience of performance art, but never really understood until now!  THANKS A MILLION!  So many insights today, thanks to you!
 
Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab I could ever imagine!

Thank you readers from all over the world who continue to support my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things with your visits even though I've been napping the last couple of months!  I am so thankful my insomnia is over!  Knock on wood!

Magic Fortune Fish from my teaching days, available here
Magic was my theme to teach Science and Math

I am adding new items weekly to each shop until I have 800 of my dehoard listed that will be 200 items listed at each shop!  However, I still need to focus on my health, so I'm adding slowly, but surely.  
 
Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 192 items, The Destiny of Things- 187 items, VintageToGoEasy - 199 items and now JunkDrawerAndMore - 199 items!    

Maybe you'll find something to adopt and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
 Mini preserved crab from my Ocean theme teaching days, available here
photo via JunkDrawerAndMore 
 
Related Stories:
 
 
 
 
 
6.  In case you want to know the science behind the magic of fortune fish, Teachable Moments with  Fortune Fish Tellers:  The Destiny of Things, Story 180

Learn Spanish while playing Loteria bingo, available here
Also from my Party Around the World theme teaching days, fun way to learn cultural greetings, etiquette, formal and informal, etc and still party!
photo via Hoarder Rehab

What are your New Year Resolutions for 2016?  I made my usual list.  It's never too late, besides Chinese New Year is still around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment