Monday, October 22, 2012

One Step Backward, Two Steps Forward

HoarderRehab Epiphany #2:  One Step Backward, Two Steps Forward

For me, its usually the other way around.  Two or three steps backwards, if not miles and one step forward, but not this time!
I came across these beauties while I was looking at a potential client's favorites.(which I often do to get ideas as what to look for in my hoard to list the following week!)  I love these copper type lockets with pin closures!  They go way back to my childhood when I had a glass display case with shelves just like how these lockets were made.  And I love magnifying glasses, they remind me of my grandfather and great uncle.  As a child I often watched them use them with stones and watch repair.  And who can pass up skeleton keys?  And pendant rings for beads, stones or shells?

Glass Lockets, Magnifying Glass, Skeleton Keys Jewelry Lot:  Another bargain, all this!  10 items,  a little over a buck each, including shipping costs!

My fingers were itching to get a hold of these!  But since I'm banned from buying til I have a more manageable life over my belongings, I just thought I'd have to wait until I had a reason to buy them!  What could I make with the beautiful lockets?  The price was right up my alley!  Was this another, "A Sale A Bargain, A Deal:  A hoarder's dream until it becomes a nightmare!"  Did I learn from last week's epiphany with the stationery card sets or not?

Was I  recovering and learning or backsliding?  To prove to myself that I had learned a lesson- I needed a really good reason to buy these, if only I could find a creative way to use these lockets!  Also, they looked "too good to be true" for their price and the listing didn't mention their condition, so I thought I should ask!  Maybe there's something gravely wrong with them and I could move on.

 
October 17 2012 11:22pm EDT
Listing: www.etsy.com/listing/112123673/glass-lockets-magnifying-glass-keys

Hi there!

What kind of condition are these in? Are they brand new? I love the lockets!

Thank you,
~Kennedy





October 18, 2012
Hi,

All pockets and magnifiers are brand new and never used. These are ones left over from a recent project so thought maybe someone could utilize for their project
Thanks for the email.
Shirley



October 18, 2012
Hi Again,

Not sure if the previous email went through but all glass lockets, magnifiers and keys are brand new unused. Left over from a recent project.
Shirley


I was stalled again!  They were in perfect condition as seen on zoom in the pics!
Could I find a way to use these right away so I could buy them?


I decided to give myself the weekend to find a way!  The weekend passed and still nothing in mind for them.  Enough time passed and surprisingly I didn't think of any way to use them.  As an etsy shop owner, I like it when people email me back when they ask about a potential purchase to let me know whether they will buy it or not, so I thought I should do the same.

 
October 22, 2012 and 36 minutes ago
Hi Shirley!

Thanks for writing me back and making sure I got your messages. I love those glass lockets and I like the price too, but as a recovering Hoarder.... I have to pass. Thank you for your time and for getting me to think twice before I make a purchase related to my hoarding ways.

Best regards,
~Kennedy


October 22 2012 6:46pm EDT
Your in luck because they sold today



October 22 2012 7:09pm EDT
Thanks for the chuckle and relief- mixed with buyers remorse!

So what did I learn today?  I felt a sad pit in my stomach for a bit as I let go of a  lost dream with such potential, but relief that it didn't become part of my hoarder nightmare!  Sales, bargains, deals are a trigger to my Hoarder ways and some items for sale have strong memories attached to them.  I still have that display box that reminds me of the lockets, somewhere in my hoard.  I have a magnifying glass from my grandfather somewhere too and I use my great uncle's cigar boxes, all 8 of them, as part of my headboard for storage.  I am still a little conflicted about letting such a good bargain go, but relieved too because it was a less painful lesson and didn't cost me anything this time.

I also completely forgot one of the biggest reasons not to buy them, which could have stopped me right in my tracks in the first place making this buying dilemma no brainer easy!  I am allergic to most metals and creating something with these would most likely give me an asthma type reaction!  What a doozey deal stopper! I must keep "metal allergies" in the forefront of my hoarder brain!

Hoarding not only leaves me with a more than cluttered home, but with thoughts that match!  I am much closer to my goal of a simple minimal house with a more organized connected brain and closer to not repeating my hoarder patterns once I've reached my goal of minimalist organic style with sustainable housing!  and Thank you Shirley of Two Sly Foxes for making my HoarderRehab adventure more fun and funny too!

If you dare, you can see more deals from Shirley and Holly at Two Sly Foxes!


No comments:

Post a Comment