Wednesday, October 24, 2012

How I Tag an Item on etsy: As a Techless Hoarder Newbie on etsy, Story #3

How I Tag an Item on Etsy:  As a techless hoarder newbie on etsy, Confusion Story #3
I found this today in my hoard of backdrafts from 10/24/2012 and also one on my thoughts on googling, most of the blue words are what I added today, 8JAN2013

Written as techless as it can get!  May the best of my past be the worst of my future!

It might bring a chuckle to techful person out there, even if they can understand what I'm trying to say.  I think after the google article, I'll focus on Reviews, HR Diet and other more fun things to me!

I was going to delete it, but since I'm still recovering from the "straw that broke the camel's back---- Melt Down"  maybe someone besides me will glean something from it or spark an idea or even want to start a "techless hoarder newbie"  support group.  I would welcome anyone!  techful or techless, hoarder, no hoarder, newbie or experienced, student or mentor, successful or wants to be more successful.

I'm not sure if this is exactly correct or if there is a better way to TAG,but through trial and error, this is how I am tagging now.  If there is a better way or you have an idea to try or more info. to share, let me know!

Only 13 tags can be used on an etsy listing and I use them all!!!!  When I first started I used to TAG using as many words as the TAG box let me (up to 20 letters), so they sometimes resembled titles.  Then I went down to two or three words and now I use one word tags because they seem to bring me more traffic.  I think I get more traffic that way since with one words they can be interchanged with many more combinations than a two word tag, unless....

There are exceptions, like mid century modern and often people use the initials as, "mcm"  So right now I was both in tags and in titles.  Also right now, I've seen some use the term, Scandi for Scandanavian, so I might try "scandi" as a TAG.  Using Scandi wasn't very successful and someone used "anti" wedding and got to one of my shops, so I'm trying it with "anti" Valentine.  Some interesting keywords I've seen in my shops are:  a, dod, venus flytrap, .....I had a whole list to share, but I can not find it.  When I do, I'll update this area.  And I had some good words to!

Right now I'm using Halloween as an Occasion in both the occasion box and as a tag and in my listing titles.  Later I will change it to Thanksgiving Holiday and then Christmas Holiday and the same with Tags, like decor, home, wedding, Valentine

For example:
wooden toy box is much better off as three separate tags because the combinations available that way are a lot higher than someone typing in the exact order of "wooden toy box".  By the way, if you do use "wooden" I have found using the word, "wood" is also helpful to searchers.

mid century modern isn't a tag I would separate often because I don't think anyone would use it in any other different combinations.  Although, I do separate mid century and modern, if the item and could be used with another describing word, such as American or Danish.

I leave out colors usually, unless it's popular to the latest craze, like robin egg blue used to be.  Now it seems to be "orange" and "black", "teal", peacock, burnt orange, etc.

Also, depending on what I am listing I might have to use the plural and singular of the word.  For example, on HoarderREhab, I am selling my miniature collection, so I use "miniature" and "miniatures," as tags.  Also with compound words that some spell either way, like, "shadow box" or "shadowbox"

 Look at similiar items of yours on etsy and see what tags they use, especially if they are on the Home Page.

Tagging confuses me and boggles my mind to no end!  But even when I had terrible tags and just put in words that came to my head I still had sales.  I've seen others with one tag for a listing.  So "doing your own thing" seems to work for anyone!

Remember I'm a techless hoarder newbie bumping around in the dark trying to figure things out through a death, allergies, insomnia and recovering hoarder stress and I'm not the only one!

I am thankful I have the time to experiment and roam around other's shops to see how they are doing and what tags and titles are working for them.  I'm thankful I like studying and enjoy see the quirky words and other keywords that bring people to my shops!  I might not be good at it, but I'm having more fun than I ever thought possible on my HoarderRehab adventure!

I am sorry, I am not doing well today and this blog fonts, colors, etc are not working with me today, so it is another mess I will have to redraft later.  

It is doing all kind of crazy things and I do not have much more patience left to cooperate  with it.  Please forgive me and it.  Now it's erasing things I highlight, which I don't.  Sorry, this will be my ugliest post to date!  Have a good chuckle about that with me!  Oh well, it's done now.  Tomorrow is a new day!

Thank you US, also ontimemarking.biz, Germany, UK, NZ, France, Russia, Trinidad and Tobago for being here with me today with second to the last techless hoarder newbie articles.

Parting Thoughts:  A moment of silence for Huell Howser, who's shows "California Gold"of PBS were one of my favorites. He could bring the ordinary lives and places of California into the amazing zone with true magic wonder!  

I remember the time I had to go to a three or four hour teacher educational lecture on a Saturday afternoon and was not pleased, but it was Huell Howser and I was so surprised when his enthusiasm and stories never ran out and the time went by so quickly and I felt energized, inspired and joyful! 

Thank you Huell Howser for putting so much of yourself into "California Gold" creating wonderment for anyone who thought they had seem everything by turning the ordinary into special delights!

I will return to some of my favorite episodes of California Gold and take a ride down memory lane from the 90s!  I can't find my favorite, but here is one I could find.

No comments:

Post a Comment