Monday, May 29, 2017

Mini Red Foil Tags for Memorial Day Project: The Destiny of Things, Story 473

Mini Red Foil Tags for Memorial Day Project:  The Destiny of Things, Story 473

Lest we forget.....  BEFORE:

Tiny mini red foil strung name tags miniature tag packaging jewelry price tag string labels craft Father's day mini fiesta gift wrap jewelry supply, available here

Here is the email I received:

These are Memorial Day favors for veterans.  Note the little red tags purchased from you, "Lest we forget".  50% of the favor is Etsy. items.  I enjoy doing these.  The first favor I make for an occasion is usually the most challenging.  I liked this particular one.  It'll be a keeper for some I'm guessing.  Thank you for sharing your stuff!  :)

AFTER:

photo via Etsy buyer from JunkDrawerAndMore

Here is what I wrote back:

Hi there!
Thank you so much for making my day!  I just love your Memorial Day favors for Veterans.  They are keepers!  And I also just love how half of your items to create them came from Etsy!  Too cool!  I'll use your story for Memorial day and keep you anonymous.
Thank you for taking the time to help me with my Hoarder Rehab and for sending my favorite of all, an update photo of how the little red tags were used!  I am so grateful!  Thanks for making my Hoarder Rehab more fun and inspiring!
Best to you,
Kennedy

So simple, yet lovely!  Love the traditional use of the poppy!  The poppy flower meaning:  Remember those who have passed away to protect you and all that you love. Develop your own sense of inner peace so you can rest at night and get all the sleep you need. Honor the dead and cultivate your imagination for a richer life.

Poppy photo and meaning via Flower Meaning

Lest we forget is from the "Recessional" poem by Rudyard Kipling via wikipedia:

God of our fathers, known of old,
  Lord of our far-flung battle line,
Beneath whose awful hand we hold
  Dominion over palm and pine—
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget—lest we forget!

The tumult and the shouting dies;
  The Captains and the Kings depart:
Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice,
  An humble and a contrite heart.
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget—lest we forget!

Far-called our navies melt away;
  On dune and headland sinks the fire:
Lo, all our pomp of yesterday
  Is one with Nineveh and Tyre!
Judge of the Nations, spare us yet,
Lest we forget—lest we forget!

If, drunk with sight of power, we loose
  Wild tongues that have not Thee in awe,
Such boastings as the Gentiles use,
  Or lesser breeds without the Law—
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget—lest we forget!

For heathen heart that puts her trust
  In reeking tube and iron shard,
All valiant dust that builds on dust,
  And guarding calls not Thee to guard,
For frantic boast and foolish word-
Thy Mercy on Thy People, Lord![5]



Saying Goodbye:  We have plenty of WW2 Veterans in our family.  Luckily none to remember on Memorial day.  I am grateful to those brave souls who gave their lives for the freedoms I have today and give them a silent moment and prayer.

What I Learned:

1.  I am so happy that someone had the fore thought to remember Veterans in such a beautiful way this Memorial day and share it with me.  I haven't done a project, like hers since I've retired from teaching.  I worked at a year round school, so one never knew which holidays we'd be studying.

2.  I love all the details she used in remembrance and always have wondered where the "lest we forget" saying came about from.  What a creative way to use those tiny mini tags!

3.  I haven't been sleeping due to a cold that I'm fighting off.  One day I get the sniffles, the next an itchy spot on my throat and today it's a slight cough.  I am so grateful I'm not going to get all the symptoms all at once!

So I've been taking things really slow, kinda like on the new Twin Peaks show!  Everything is moving slowly and mindfully and I'm trying that out now!

Tiny mini red foil strung name tags miniature tag packaging jewelry price tag string labels craft Father's day mini fiesta gift wrap jewelry supply, available here
photo via JunkDrawerAndMore

Thank you fun Etsy buyer from JunkDrawerAndMore!  Thank you for your kind and inspiring email and most of all for remembering all Veterans this Memorial day with a poppy and the saying, "lest we forget."

I saw a birthday cake card once, I can't find it again, but the one below is something like it but there was a mini red tag on it that read, "Happy Birthday!"  I'll have to write that down on my list of projects!  Thank you for the reminder, especially since I know some birthday days on the way!

photo via google

Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab ever!  And for all the kind people I'm meeting who are helping me indirectly and directly in so many ways with my Hoarder Rehab!  I've been gleaning so much insight about my hoarding ways.

Most of my Great Uncles served during WW2, but only one ever talked about it and he was there when they liberated Dachau.  Through the years, I've always been drawn to and collected war items from the past, like a Jap Zero airplane bracelet from the Mariana Islands and have many items made from my Grandparents when they were interned.  Many of my WW2 items have sold, but here is one still available.
Unique vintage ww2 airplane cross St Christopher sterling aircraft pendant necklace & small HVH Holy Mary medal charm, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

Since things have slowed down some due to this holiday and summer coming, I've been new listing on a more regular basis.  Come and see our new dehoarded stuff!

Anyone out there have any suggestion or ideas on how to use the new Etsy format and new Etsy Studio to their shop's best advantage?  and if it has helped bump up your sales?

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 180 items, The Destiny of Things- 179 items, VintageToGoEasy - 180 items and JunkDrawerAndMore - 178 items.

Looks like two shops need refills!  I've listed new today and hopefully tomorrow too!

Maybe you'll find something to adopt and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!

I have a pretty large collection of German WW2 tinnies, which were given out for attending rallies, holiday remembrances or in exchange for donations.  The one above is for Mother's day.  I just love the forget me not!  
Porcelain Forget Me Not pink crocus Tinnie Badge Donation brooch badge pin jewelry Original German WW2 Tinnie WHW, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

"Lest we forget:  for those brave who gave their lives, so we can live ours."

Thank you readers from all over the world who continue to support my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things by taking part with your visits! 

Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment