Friday, July 1, 2016

Mini Patriotic US Flag Pins: The Destiny of Things, Story 392

Mini Patriotic US Flag Pins:  The Destiny of Things, Story 392

I passed these out for our school's Independence parade, but here's another story!

Mini metal US vintage flag lapel pins, available here

Here is her story:

I am having a memorial service for my parents at Riverside National Cemetery, when they will be buried side-by-side with military honors. I would like to pass out the flag pins to everyone who attends. After the service, we are going to the March Field Air Museum for a reminiscing/gathering luncheon and slide show. After, everyone is able to visit the museum and flight line, a place where my parents took my children often when they were little for air shows and to see the planes.

My condolences to her and to anyone who has lost a loved one to war.  Her Memorial sounds so thoughtful and special.

Mini metal US vintage flag lapel pins, available here

I had several Great Uncles and family friends that fought during World War 2 and the Vietnam War, but we were fortunate and they all came home.

Several people have ordered these in large quantities letting me know these will be used at military memorial services, an idea I've never thought of til then and hope I never have to.

Maybe they can be used for happier times too, like Welcome Home celebrations.

Mini metal vintage US flag lapel pins, available here

Saying Goodbye:  I have so much patriotic destash from my teaching days and am happy to say most of it has found new lives and homes.  Just a couple dozen left and they will be gone! 

I taught at a year round inner city school and so some years I was teaching through the summer and we would have a big Independence Day celebration with a parade on the school yard.  Everyone got a US flag pin or US flag pocket clip on, flag eraser to use for the month of July and a little flag to wave during the parade.

Sometimes we'd make flag fans because it would be so hot out there!  

What will you be doing this Independence Day?  We usually go to a parade and/or watch the fireworks at a park, but since I can't sit down this year we'll just be watching it from our windows.  We can see the Dodger stadium fireworks and many others from our backyard.

Vintage plastic clip on US Flag pins or actually pocket clips, available here

What I Learned:

1.  This posting makes me very sad because I can't imagine losing both parents at the same time.  On the other hand, I am thankful for my family and those who have fought during war time for our country.

2.  I guess I've been a little blue lately and this posting just hits me compounding my feelings.  I haven't been blogging as much because of my sciatica, I can no longer sit in a conventional chair, ride in a car sitting up or even sit on the floor before I get shooting pains, numbness and a funny bone feeling that doesn't go away.  It's so bad, I haven't sat down in weeks.  Usually I'll forget and sit down, but not anymore.

3.  I'm going to make a Gratitude List in my journal after this, since that helps me a lot and helps me to focus on the glass being half full.

4.  I've been watching TURN, quite the show to remind me and be thankful for Independence Day and all it brought us.

Mini vintage flag set- metallic stickers, eraser, pin, clip on and cake topper, available here.  Photo via The Destiny of Things 

Thank you Etsyian from The Destiny of Things for leaving me such a heartfelt email.  Again my condolences.  Thank you for bringing back memories of my Uncles in uniform, now I will go dig out their photos and find a way to honor them.
 
Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab ever!  And for all the kind people I'm meeting who are helping me indirectly and directly in so many ways with my Hoarder Rehab!  I've been gleaning so much insight about my hoarding ways!

Thank you readers from all over the world who continue to support my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things by taking part with your visits!
 
 Mini metallic vintage US flag stickers, available here

I've been adding new listings and relisting daily!  Yipee!
   
Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 179 items, The Destiny of Things- 177 items, VintageToGoEasy - 182 items and JunkDrawerAndMore - 181 items.
 
Maybe you'll find something to adopt and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
10 Empty gumball capsules in red white and blue for patriotic, circus, carnival or Dr Seuss themed parties, available here

Have a safe and fun July 4th weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment