Friday, June 7, 2019

Stitching Repair Hot Pads: Mending Ways Story 7

Stitching Repair Hot Pads:  Mending Ways Story 7

Mending is my alternative to hoarding!  Can you believe that?  Not in my wildest dreams!


I think I've had these for over 5 years and I use them day and night to keep my feet warm!  In the day, when I'm stitching!  Even in warm to hot weather my feet are ice cold!

And especially at night, they help me and my feet to stay warm and it seems to help me fall asleep more quickly.  I keep one hot pad on the bottom and one on top of my feet and tend to rub put my feet in between them.  I think that's why they've worn so thin, so thin I can see the corn through the fabric in some places!


Here is a close up, every time corn starts to spill out,  I just repair it from a ball of tangled thread I have or with thread already in a needle.  I don't know if you can see the new hole in the upper right hand side of where I was repairing.  That is how thin the cloth is now, just repairing it makes new holes!

You can also see on the longer turquoise one where I've repaired the end just literally disintegrated from the heaviness of the corn inside it.


When I remember I try and embroider in the date of repair.  I added one of my first tiny mandala patches on the one above and it's dated Jan. 2019 and in April that spot needed to be repaired again.  And again in May to June!  More photo updates coming!


Here is a close up of my wacky repair stitching.  I've tried all kinds of stitching measures!  What an experiment!  I was going to add a patch on top of it all, but I really like the look of the random stitching with random color threads and embroidery floss.

If you'd like a tiny mandala patch to experiment yourself, they come with a layered stack of linen to patch up and mend something of your own!


Well, most of the squares are linen, except for the purple chrysanthemum backing, it's cotton boro from bedding.  You can see them more of them close up if you use the link, available here.  Photo via Hoarder Rehab.


Before I started stitching that day, we took a trip to our local Japanese market, Nijiya, in downtown Los Angeles in J town or Japanese Town.  It's the only place I have found organic natto.  We got there too early, so we took a scenic stroll.  Here is a photo of one of the murals.  I wrote down who created it, but that piece of paper is long gone, along with my memory!

I thought the sun would make a fun applique to make and see all the blue like cross stitching in the background?  I thought those patterns would make some unique kantha or sashiko like stitching using lazy daisy stitching.  What do you think?


I love these different shaped sculptures with a dove on top.  I thought they would make fun long vertical patches.  I'll have to go back and make a drawing of the doves, they were geometric shaped and would also make some fun appliques.

What has inspired you lately?  I'd love to know and if possible send some pix! hoarderrehab@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment