Friday, April 28, 2017

Lost & Found 14 k Gold Bracelet! The Destiny of Things, Story 468

Lost & Found 14 k Gold Bracelet!  The Destiny of Things, Story 468

A 40 year search is now over!

This was my vintage 14 k gold bracelet from the 70s or 80s and it's found a new life!
More of my vintage 14 k gold jewelry from that time, available here

Here are the emails I received:

O Please!

I have been looking for this bracelet for almost 40 years.

Mom gave it to me and I don't know where it went. 

Could you please work with me and allow me to pay for it on time? 

Please put it on reserve for me and I will be so grateful! 

You have no idea.

and I wrote back:

Thank you for your email and inquiry. I am so glad you found something you've been looking for so long! I do know how that feels!

As a recovering hoarder, I know that all too well!  I don't know much time and money I've spent all my life finding all the things I've lost in my life!  Figuratively and literally!

And I "reserved" it for her for 48 hours, like we usually do, but....  This Etsy buyer is so funny!  She needed a little more time, until her "budget" reset!  So we both patiently waited and had some great email conversations in the mean time.

This was my vintage 14 k gold bracelet from the 70s or 80s and it's found a new life!
More of my vintage 14 k gold jewelry from that time, available here


Here's another email:

Kennedy, please tell me where you found this bracelet. I have looked everywhere for 40 years. Pawn, resell, jewelry, craigslist, angie's list, yard sales, and the internet since I first got a computer. 

I am very curious to know how it came to you.

and I wrote back:

Oh yes, I am so thankful you found the bracelet you've been looking all over for 40 years here at my shop! I guess I've been saving it for 40 years too! 

I think this was a gift and a floating heart came with it. Remember those floating hearts charms were all the rage back in high school? with charm holders? I have those too and other bracelets and necklaces from that time era, which I can no longer wear due to allergies to metals.

Anyways, I am so happy this is going to you for a new life and home! and thank you so much for taking part in my Hoarder Rehab journey!

It looks like she's searched high and low for this bracelet, even at places I've never heard of!  I am so happy she found it!

I have a lot of 14 k and 24 k gold jewelry, I can no longer wear anymore and will list more soon!
This was my vintage 14 k gold bracelet from the 70s or 80s and it's found a new life!
More of my vintage 14 k gold jewelry from that time, available here

Here is my favorite part!  The email about what memories are in this bracelet for her!

When I was a teenager, before every school year, she would buy and lay out on my bed 6 of everything. Hosiery, lingerie.. the works. Different colors and I loved every single one of them. In those days..(60s)... we still wore dresses at school. 

So one day when I was a bit older, chokers became popular and it was gorgeous. I still have it. It has little gold beads set apart. Not long after that, she gave me a Sweeney's Jeweler's box and it had my bracelet with a 'D' attached. I have no idea what happened to it and have been looking all these years.

When I saw it on your website, I absolutely could not believe my eyes. Then, I looked for a 'D' and I remember exactly how it looked and found it on another Etsy site. Can you imagine my thrill?

When I receive the bracelet, I am going to a jeweler I have known for years and have him put a lobster clasp on it. That way, it will never fall off or disappear off my wrist or my life.

I just love to hear the memories some of my hoard brings to others, it makes it so much easier to let go and I know it's found a better home.  And sometimes it gives me clues to solve the mystery as to why I hoard!

I'd love to see the choker, the Sweeney's jewelry box and the "new" D she found to match the bracelet she lost.  And I'd love an update photo to see the bracelet with the "D" on her wrist!

I still have the floating heart that came with this bracelet, it's been on my gold charm bracelet for decades, which I'm not sure what to do with, since I can't wear it anymore.  Any suggestions?

I have a lot of 14 k and 24 k gold jewelry, I can no longer wear anymore and will list more soon!
This was my vintage 14 k gold bracelet from the 70s or 80s and it's found a new life!
More of my vintage 14 k gold jewelry from that time, available here
photo via The Destiny of Things

Saying Goodbye:  I did feel a tiny twinge of letting go anxiety with this piece due to the memories it holds for me inside it, but I gently reminded myself that it's okay and it will pass soon.  Also, I reminded myself, that even though I can wear gold longer than I can sterling silver, I'm so used to not wearing jewelry that I haven't worn jewelry for over a decade!

Infinity jewelry 14k infinity solid gold lace filigree hinged lever back post vintage 80s earrings, available here.  Photo via The Destiny of Things

What I Learned:

1.  Much of my hoard hold memories in them, some happy and some painful and as I let go of each one through my Etsy shops, the memories bubble to the surface, like long lost friends and help piece together a mystery.  It's almost like putting together a puzzle without a clue of what the final picture is going to look like.

2.  I've often wondered why I hoard and have spent countless hours throughout my life pondering, but now I think maybe it's not so important because now I know why I do NOT want to hoard and I've shifted my my goals in life and it does not include hoarding, collecting or impulse buying.

3.  Speaking about impulse buying, I've been a thrifting queen since high school.  It was a second nature hobby and I had an enabling friend who drove us around and had a thrift shop map ingrained on his brain!  

All over Los Angeles and Orange County, it feels like we have visited every thrift shop, even the dive ones!  We would start at 9 am and he even knew their hours, so sometimes we wouldn't quit until 10 pm!  We'd visit at least 10 shops each outing, if not more!  And what was our biggest dream back then?  Thrift shops that were open 24 hours!

4.  The biggest help yet, one of the most challenging during my Hoarder Rehab journey was to BAN myself from thrift shops, garage sales and free give a ways!

5.  I am much healthier, now that I've found other ways to cope, like a way to dehoard more slowly, spending time finding and experimenting alternatives to hoarding, better ways to deal with my fears, stress and anxieties and shifting my thoughts, ideas and goals.

14k gold ring oval marbled black stone vintage 70s engagement ring, available here

Thank you fun and interesting Etsy buyer from The Destiny of Things!  I learned a lot from our conversations and you brought much laughter along the way too!  Most of all, thank you for making my Hoarder Rehab so fun, pleasant and exciting!

And what a coincidence!  The next day, I got another lost bracelet story from an Etsy buyer on Hoarder Rehab!  I'll share that one next week!

Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab ever!  And for all the kind people I'm meeting who are helping me indirectly and directly in so many ways with my Hoarder Rehab!  I've been gleaning so much insight about my hoarding ways.

14k yellow gold & rose gold small heart pendant, available here

I am still listing new shop items daily!  My goal is to keep new listing until I reach my goal of 180+ items at all the shops! I've been busy with switching everything over at all 4 shops to the new Etsy studio format!
 
Anyone out there have any suggestion or ideas on how to use the new Etsy format and new Etsy Studio to their shop's best advantage?  and if it has helped bump up your sales?
 
Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 173 items, The Destiny of Things- 180 items, VintageToGoEasy - 181 items and JunkDrawerAndMore - 180 items.

Looks like only one shop needs some refills!  I'll be listing more tomorrow!

Maybe you'll find something to adopt and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!

MINI 14k tri gold religious Lady Guadalupe medal charm pendant vintage 90s, available here

"We lose ourselves in the things we love.  We find ourselves there too."--- Kristin Martz

Thank you readers from all over the world who continue to support my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things by taking part with your visits! 

No comments:

Post a Comment