Thursday, April 3, 2014

Teachable Moments with Fortune Fish Tellers: The Destiny of Things, Story 180

Teachable Moments with  Fortune Fish Tellers:  The Destiny of Things, Story 180

These went to a class of 4th graders!

photo via The Destiny of Things, available here

And a little birdie told me they loved them!  My classes loved them too!  These were the focal point for quick to long fun lessons for Science, English Language Development, synonyms and antonyms.  Try it with your children at home, parties and holidays.

photo via The Destiny of Things, available here

I taught third grade for many years and used these as motivational props for an Academic Valentine party lesson, but these are so fun they can be used any time.  These lessons can be quick teachable moments or longer exercises and lessons.

The vocabulary and symbolism of the Fortune Fish may be old fashioned, but most kids love it, especially the word, "fickle."  For a longer lesson, we'd make our own list of love words and  and make our own fortunes and as a final draft, I'd give them stickers to write them down in publishable manner and put on top of the envelope and roam around trying each others fortunes out.

It gets all ELD levels talking and my active students loved acting out or pantomiming being the fish and choosing those that raised their hands to guess the movement and prediction.  Also, makes a whole class ELD lesson that can be demonstrated physically.  All sorts of fun and learning!


photo via The Destiny of Things, available here

I taught many magic tricks to my classes because most magic is either science or math.  And this fish is a great beginner lesson because everyone can see the magic instantly and it doesn't take any practice to master.

After the ELD lesson and vocabulary lesson, I'd ask them to explain how they work. Students propose a hypothesis (just another prediction like the fortune fish!) to describe how the fortune teller fish works and then can design an experiment to test the hypothesis. Usually students think the fish may move in response to body heat or electricity or by absorbing chemicals from the skin, like salt, oil, dirt or water.

Here's the secret to it's magic!  How the Fortune Teller Fish really works!

The Fortune Teller Fish is made with sodium polyacrylate. Sodium polyacrylate will grab onto water molecules that it touches, changing the shape of the molecule. As the molecules change shape, so does the shape of the fish. If you submerge the fish in water, it won't be able to bend when you place it on your hand. If you let the fortune teller fish dry out, it will be good as new.

They'll also get a kick out of hearing (and you'll hear some ewws) that it's the same chemicals used in disposable diapers or you can give it to them as clue if they are totally stumped!

All in all, the Fortune Fish Teller leads to such captivating and fun lessons that stretch into all curriculum areas!

photo via The Destiny of Things, available here

Saying Goodbye:  I have my own stash to make some nostalgic projects, but haven't quite figured out how to use them yet.  Mostly I give them away as thank yous in a little package I make up for each order from any of our Etsy shops.  I keep some handy to pass out to anyone who needs some cheering up, especially children waiting in long lines or waiting rooms.

What I Learned:

1.  As a child, I have many good memories of playing with these and have always loved the graphics.  I remember using them as a book marker and I loved the fact that I could reuse them and store them back in it's envelope for another day.

As a teacher, it's provided many fun and happy time lessons.  I think any grade would find these fascinating and entertaining.

As a recovering hoarder, since I love these so much for nostalgia sake, I'm so thankful to have found a way to share them with others and I hope they bring memories as well as make new ones!

2.  Many Etsy buyers have shared the many different uses for these, such as prizes in surprise balls, in many themed parties as favors and as decor, a new friend even passed them out in her college class while reading Cathryn Hankla's book of short stories, "Fortune Teller Miracle Fish."  And I was told they've been passed out at a quilting bee where many grandmother's giggled over their love fortunes!

What memories does it bring you?

Here's a sample of my "thank you" package with each order, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

Thank you Etsy buyer from The Destiny of Things for leaving such encouraging words and letting me know some 4th graders are happy!

Thank you Etsy for helping me let go of my hoard and for the many connections of helpful and kind people I've met along the way of my Hoarder Rehab journey!

Thank you US, UK, China, Canada, Italy and all others that have visited since Tuesday and for supporting my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things adventures!

 Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things, VintageToGoEasy and now JunkDrawerLove!  There are about 102 items listed on JunkDrawerLove and relistings to each shops daily and adding new listings weekly to all shops too!  Thanks for looking!

Maybe you'll find something to and give it a new life and share your story with me!

My latest alternative to hoarding....mixed media assemblage collage art piece mexican folk art loteria style:

photo via VintageToGoEasy, available here


Other Fortune Fish Teller Stories:

1.  An Etsy buyer from NY sharing Fortune Fish with her college classmates as they study, Fortune Teller Miracle Fish by Cathryn Hankla:  The Destiny of Things, Story 152.  I also included some of my favorite passages, read it here 

2.  Fortune Teller Miracle Fish:  The Destiny of Things, Story LXXXII, here used as party favors!

3.  Miracle Fish Fortune Teller Surprise Balls:  The Destiny of Things, Story XCII, here

4. A Little Girl and her Miracle Fish:  The Destiny of Things, Story #112:  Part 1

5.  UPDATE on A Little Girl and her Miracle Fish:  The Destiny of Things, Story #112, Part 2, here
 
6.  As Underwater theme decor, see update photos and story here

7.  Fortune Fish at a quilting bee where old memories made new ones! Read it here!

Thanks for stopping by!  See you on Sat or Mon!

No comments:

Post a Comment