Thursday, December 31, 2020

UPDATE PHOTOS for DIY Lock and Key Box to Practice Using Lock Picking Set: The Destiny of Things, Story 574

UPDATE PHOTOS for DIY Lock and Key Box to Practice Using Lock Picking Set:  The Destiny of Things, Story 574

How fun is this going to be?  Where is the jealous button?  BEFORE:

These have sold out.  Photo via Hoarder Rehab

Here is their story:


What a cool story behind your Etsy store! Here's what I'm doing with the cute padlock I bought:
My boyfriend loves burr puzzles (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burr_puzzle) and things like that, so his dad gave him a lock picking set for his birthday (no worries, he would never actually do anything illegal, it's just the challenge). However he says he needs motivation to open a lock, so he's asked me to make him a box with padlocks and something inside. So I did (see image). There are three 'real' locks on the box, and I was looking for one that would be easier to open, which is where yours comes in. I also dressed up the box as if it were a house that's itself padlocked (the other picture) :-).
Oh, and inside is some chocolate and a few unicorn related gifts, since that's how unlikely I think it is he will manage to open the box. Fortunately I do have the keys, for when he gives up....
Good luck with de-hoarding and saying goodbye to all your stuff. This lock has found a good home.

Inside of box in a box.  Love how the webbing looks like bricks!  

Photo via Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab

 

 

The house is so cute and love the black brick webbing peeking out on the sides of the house!

Photo via Etsy buyer

How cool is that?  Want, want!  Here is what I wrote back:

Hi Marijke! Thank you so much for your email and fun story! I just love it! Thank you for giving that lock a "forever" home! It has brought me the long lost motivation and inspiration I need, it has been so busy on Etsy that I have not had time to blog lately, but your story really interests me, so I hope I can use it and start writing it, just to get more insight on my hoarding ways!
I love your box of locks and the cute little house you made! Thank you for sharing your pix! Looks so fun!
If your bf loves Burr puzzles, he might like the Japanese wood ones too, I have a set, but I'm not puzzle expert and could not put it back together after I took it a part, but my hubs did! I couldn't even put if back together with the instructions, I think I'm not patient enough. Example below:

I've always wanted to learn to pick locks too and I've tried using paper clips on easy locks, but alas no patience there either!
Thanks again for your story and I appreciate you being a willing participant in my Hoarder Rehab! I hope you and yours have Happy Holidays as this crazy year ends to a much better one! Kennedy

 

I have this set, mine came in a cool box! Alas, I could only take them a part, I could not but them back together!  Thank goodness the box came with instructions with pictures and the Mr likes putting things back together!  I don't think I'll be trying any lock picking soon!  They make it look so easy in the movies!   Photo via Google

Saying Goodbye:  I am so thankful all the locks went to "forever" homes!  This was part of my hoarding without hoarding experiment.  I bought the same multiple items to resell, except I usually keep one of them.  It's easier that way on Etsy because all one has to do is change the photos and not the description.


I love locks!  And had quite the collection!  Don't know why, maybe that's my hoarder rehab insight for the day!  My favorite lock was a red Hello Kitty knock off lock.  It was more cute than Hello Kitty and reminded me a really cute cat shaped fire hydrant and the key was cat shaped too!  Can't find a photo of it.  I had two of them and they both sold.  Now I kinda wish I had saved one!  Photo via JunkDrawerAndMore.

What I Learned:

1.  I've collected a lot of lock and key and padlocks over the years and have just realized I never use them!  So thankful they've all sold.  The only lock and key I still own goes to my penny gumball machine.  I wonder why I love to collect locks yet never use them!  Guess it doesn't really matter now, as long as I don't collect anymore!

And I've always wanted to learn to pick locks too, but I think I'm over it, since that's a skill I'd never use.  There are other skills I'd rather learn, like martial arts, h*ll, how about just getting back into shape!

2.  Talk about getting into shape!  I have gained several covid pounds and I was doing Buns of Steel 3 by Tamie Lee Webb, I have the CD and VHS.  I had been doing it daily since the end of July and then late November my sciatica and bursitis returned and I stopped for the entire month of December.  So guess what's on my New Year's Resolutions?  Oh, I just found it on youtube here!   Have fun!

3.  My creative slump has taken a turn for the better and I've been mending again!  Yesterday I mended a sheet all day long!  I didn't want to stop and it felt so good!  I hope I can keep stitching on it today, while watching Quantico on Netflix.  It didn't get good til Season 2 because I guess that's how long it took for me to start caring about the characters.  That's okay, since I mainly just listen to it and have it going in the background.

4.  Still writing my Resolutions for 2021.  It looks like I'll be doing less Etsy and more outside activities, like gardening and hiking.  I'd like a wild vegetable and flower garden, meaning nothing fancy or organized, just seed dropping, watering and weeding to see what happens.  There is a nature park down the street with hills and trails to explore and at the top of one of the hills, I can see Dodger Stadium, downtown and on a really clear day, Catalina.  

Of course, I want to continue stitching.  I'd like to start making some junk journals or glue books to get back into paper collage and mixed media art.  With all the new things I want to start, something is going to have to give time wise and the only thing I can think of is Etsy.  That is going to b hard to give up, even just a little!

Also I need to keep on cleaning and organizing.  My creative slump's silver lining is that I started looking at all my textiles!  What a hoard of boro, antique and vintage fabrics I have now!  Not sure how to organize them.  I've been organizing the boro by type, solids, katazome, kasuri, stripes, children's novelty, cotton, silk and wool, but I tend to choose by color, so maybe sub types too?  I don't know if I can get that organized!

 

Maybe make use limp cloth book binding with boro and some old crochet buttons and wax seals!  The photo above is inspiring for that!  Photo via google, but I've seen the entire series on someone's flicker.  Found it here.  It's worth a looksie, if you like the photo above!  Vadstena observance. Sweden, 1451-1452.  Medieval limp cloth binding of linen with three seals.

Thank you Etsy buyer for sharing your fun wonderful story!  I wish I could be a fly on the wall when he opens all the locks and sees the treasures inside!  He must be super patient!  I love how the box and home are handmade!

Sales have finally slowed down and Etsy is having a site wide sale, but we won't be joining it this year because I need a break!  Due USPS being overwhelmed, I've stopped buying things, until things get back to normal for them, hopefully that is possible soon.  Which is good for me, since I have a couple of lifetimes worth of textiles now!  I've started to list my Japanese silk destash on Mending Ways because i don't think I'll be using much silk for anything.

We will still honor the Etsy's $35 free shipping guarantee for DOMESTIC orders only, if you request it though Etsy email, even though we are no longer signed up for it.  Unfortunately, right now due to the pandemic Internationally shipping may have restrictions depending on your countries covid regulations.

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard: HoarderRehab with 179 items, The Destiny of Things- 172 items, VintageToGoEasy - 164 items and JunkDrawerAndMore - 177 items.   And now, Mending Ways with 64 items!    Many of my textile art patches have found new "forever" homes. I need to make more, but I'm in a creative slump at the moment, so I'm listing a lot of fabric destash.  I am immensely grateful, thank you all who are supporting my alternative to hoarding!

Maybe you'll find something and give it new life and a new home!  All pleasant lookieloos are appreciated!
 

 This is my favorite, it's a shibori sampler in black silk, it's folded in half.  It's 45x15 inches, available here.  Photo via Mending Ways.


Happy New Year 2021!  Thank you readers from all over the world who continue to support my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things by taking part with your visits!

No comments:

Post a Comment