Monday, October 31, 2016

Handmade Fortune Teller Costume and Booth: The Destiny of Things, Story 407

Handmade Fortune Teller Costume and Booth:  The Destiny of Things, Story 407

An Etsy buyer is passing out 500 fortune teller cards from her booth this Halloween!

500 stack of fortune teller card slips, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

How fun!  And I just love her handmade fortune teller costume and booth!  Here is a photo of her booth, "under construction!"

Love the colors and the shiny baubles!
photo via Etsy buyer

So cool!  And later she sent me a photo of it completed!

Love the added lights, what a difference it made!
photo via Etsy buyer

So creative!  I just had to know how she was going to look in there and she sent a photo of her inside it too!  So amazing!

 This puts the biggest smile on my face and I want my fortune told pronto!
photo via Etsy buyer

Everything a fortune teller needs, even a crystal ball!  What fun details!  Love the mask too!
Not only did she share she story with photos, but she left me a very kind inspirational comment on here too!

Unfortunately, i can't figure out how to give her a "thank you" comment back!  I tried three times and every time it was just deleted.  When my blog gets updated and things change, I just can't figure it out again.  Ho hum.... Onwards and upwards....

Front side of fortune teller card slips, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

Originally these stack of 500 cards were for the Ask Swami or Madame X penny napkin dispenser machine at diners and made more popular by the Twilight Zone episode starring William Shatner, called "Nick of Time."

Back side of fortune teller card slips, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

These are great for fortune tellers with booths because these are interactive fortunes.  You ask a "yes" or "no" question and the card gives you an answer.  It also gives you a general fortune in the style of a deck of cards.  And a quirky, sometimes non politically correct, definition of a word.  It's meant to be funny, but adults might have some explaining to do if children are included!

500 stack of fortune teller card slips, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

Saying Goodbye:  I have my own stack of 500 put away for future use.  I use mine in many different ways.  They make great impromptu mini garlands.  I just use a string and simply add these too them, since they have a cut in the hole and are easy to pop on the string.

I also use them as gift tags, since they are easy to add to thin ribbon as gift wrap with the slit in the hole and make an interesting fun conversation piece to add to each gift.

Fun snail mail card or letter inserts too!

This is a complete set of 52 fortune cards, one of each type, available here!  Yes, I sorted and collated a couple stacks to make them.
photo via VintageToGoEasy

What I Learned:

1.  When I was a kid, most of our Halloween costumes were handmade, but my brother and I coveted the store bought ones with the plastic masks and polyester outfits.  We got store bought ones once and went back to homemade ones.

I still love to see handmade ones over the store bought, but they both can be fun!

2.  Some of my favorite hoard have become shop best sellers!  These are great for anything fortune teller related, like poker night to Twilight Zone parties, as table confetti, pinata filler, slip inside cocktail napkins for conversation starters, Sunday dinner fun, etc.

3.  It's getting closer and closer to the autumn and winter holidays and my stress usually sky rockets and my hoarding retail therapy begins, but this year might be different.  Blogging as a recovering hoarder has helped me in ways, I didn't think possible.  It's kept me on track with a routine and dehoarding through my shops has taught me more than I expected.

 Handmade costumes can't get much better than this!
Such great memories!  My mom keeps a photo of us in our Halloween costumes as toddlers in a locket on her charm bracelet and we look at it all the time still!
photo via Google

4.  My sciatica was an alert to pay more attention to self care and when my lower back gave out, it gave me no choice, but to slow down and focus on my health, which gave me time to stop and contemplate about my hoarding ways.  I started reading books, I hadn't touched for the past ten years and found new insights to help me.

One, I'm not a believer of meditating, but that has been one of the biggest factors to helping me regain my health and reduce and rid of my lower back pain.  I was doing weeks of yoga, but one bad bend and my lower back gave out on me and I was bedridden for many days.  I'm not sure how much of the meditation helped besides rest, but that's all I did and now I'm back to doing yoga pain free.

It's even helped my sciatica pain.  I think it might be all the relaxing that meditation creates for me and I'm almost pain free from sciatica too.

Secondly, returning to reading books has helped me broaden other areas of my life and also given me tips on dehoarding.  I just started opening random books to any page and there was the message I needed!  One was about trashing 10 items a day!  As a recovering hoarder, the thought of throwing anything out completely stressed me to the max.

Happily, it did plant a seed in my mind and a couple of days later, I threw out a piece of paper.  I could go on about what kinds of paper I save, but it would take up too much time.  Now I can throw out about 20-30 pieces of paper a day!  What progress, I've made from a seed in my mind to taking a tiny baby step!

4.  So my decline in health has had several silver linings!  It's helped me to see other directions my life can take, besides my hoarding and dehoarding cycles, it's also given me some time to use meditation to help all aspects of my life and it's given me time to be more creative with my art and other projects.

If you need a smaller random amount from 6 to 50 to 100 fortune cards, available here

Thank you Etsy buyer from VintageToGoEasy for sharing your story and wonderful with me and letting me know how you will be using them!  I absolutely love your fortune teller booth and you look great inside it..... just like the penny arcade ones! Actually, you look better than than the penny arcades ones! So cute, mysterious and lovely!
 
And thank you so much for leaving me a comment and I was so ecstatic to hear I inspired you to clear out some of your hoard!  Believe me, your inspiration has helped me with mine!  More than you'll ever know!  Thank you!
 
All these stories and ideas really help me stay on track with mine. And I am so happy to find that I can start throwing stuff away and it's just going to take a lot of baby steps.
 
Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab ever!  And for all the kind people I'm meeting who are helping me indirectly and directly in so many ways with my Hoarder Rehab!  I've been gleaning so much insight about my hoarding ways!
 
 Bulk lots of fun fortune telling fish, available here
photo via VintageToGoEasy

I'm still in wellness recovery mode and my health has taken great leaps towards less to zero back pain with meditation.  I don't have the same amount of time to spend on Etsy, but I am keeping the shops open and relisting and new listing as often as I can because it keeps me on my old familiar regular routine.  
 
I stopped using the book, Rebuilding My Back because for some reason, I just kept injuring myself from the exercises in it, I guess I was doing them wrong, but I'm back to careful yoga and walking.
 
I have so been relisting and new listing almost daily!

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 155 items, The Destiny of Things- 148 items, VintageToGoEasy - 153 items and JunkDrawerAndMore - 168 items. 
 
Maybe you'll find something to adopt and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
 Sampler of some fortune ephemera and other sample from all our shops, available here
20 small items to start you off with mixed media art, card or scrap book making!
photo via VintageToGoEasy

Related Stories:


Happy Halloween! 

No comments:

Post a Comment